Author Topic: Rape, Murder, Pillage  (Read 22966 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Rape, Murder, Pillage
« Reply #30: October 13, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
I think you are missing the point. Rape and massacres have always been there. No one is denying that.
What started this discussion was Sacha's post where he obviously insinuated that those who call warlords wild beasts and villains for committing KRB possess poor understanding of medieval realities. I really don't appreciate that.
Yes, you could often get away with heinous crimes if you were of noble blood. Doesn't mean you will not be branded a dishonorable cur by many of your peers.
If this is not a medieval Europe simulator, there is even less reasons to teach me how to react to in-game actions of other characters.

If we are talking OOC then it is mostly a pointless argument. It is widely accepted that armies throughout the ages raped and pillaged. It is often less clear if this was ordered by the commanders (in this case nobles and knights) or tactically acknowledged as something they couldn't prevent. It is also a lot harder to say if nobility in general participated, or if that was a rarer occurance. Generally if we are talking about honour, there are plenty of examples of claiming a enemy (either in war or politics/influence) was dishonoured by such acts, just as it was something largely ignored by allies. I can not remember a Western European reference that would acclaim someone for the act though. Really though in game terms of honour I see no reason why both extremes and everything in between cannot exist. Be hypocritical and decry your foe's wanton passions while excusing the excess of your allies. Be a paragon of virtue that bravely champions the cause no matter who perperates the act, whatever. Let the collective opinion of the relevant influential characters dictate the outcome, regardless of if hey truly believe it to be dishonourable or if they merely seize the opportunity to further another agenda.

Now if the problem is of the inclusion of such a option is socially acceptable today, or if it is insensitive or harmful to those is our player base who have direct or indirect experiance with such things in RL, that is something I am compleletly unqualified to weigh in on.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.