Author Topic: Questions about Region Statistics  (Read 23238 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Region Statistics
« Reply #45: June 24, 2011, 04:13:03 AM »
In the realms I play, there are multiple regions without knights, so nobody really cares if a lord is too greedy as if he does have knights that feel they are being robbed, they can move to another region that will appreciate them more.

I've seen realms in FEI that have knights earning only 16 gold, despite small shortages of knights in the realm, so such a thing can hardly be said to be universal.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: June 24, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
I've seen realms in FEI that have knights earning only 16 gold, despite small shortages of knights in the realm, so such a thing can hardly be said to be universal.

Sorry, but said knights are just stupid.

Or completely oblivious. BT doesn't get many newbies, as new characters can't be created directly on it. Dwilight doesn't get that many newbies either. So I don't deal with newbies much.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #47: June 24, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
Or you have your key income regions being constantly under assault like some realms are experiencing right now.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: June 24, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
Or you have your key income regions being constantly under assault like some realms are experiencing right now.

I was assuming he meant 16 golds "at 100% production". What's the point of comparing incomes with subpar production? If Pequad got a knight, it would get 0 gold even if granted a 100% oath. Does that make the lord greedy? Low incomes are to be expected when your region is a) !@#$ or b) in !@#$ shape.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #49: June 24, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
Assuming...is not a good habit in life.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: June 24, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Assuming...is not a good habit in life.

Assuming is a necessary evil. We can't know anything for sure in life, so we must make decisions based on likely assumptions.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #51: June 24, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
Well at least your admission to dealing little with "newbies" makes me understand better why you chose certain stances in your vision of what BM needs to be more "fun".

Low incomes should also be expected for certain realms. Obsidian Islands is a prime example. But for your Dwilight experience, Barca will never reach any good income, even at maximum production. Poor cities, no nearby townslands, poor woodlands and rurals, means if they have enough knights to maintain enough estates for all those regions, the income would be spread about paper thin.

If anyone ever decides to be crazy and try to go for Sallowtown, it's a similar story. The city has about no income or food production, nor do its regions either. It is separated from easy access to fertile grounds by a huge desert that has stats fitting for a desert, minus any potential wealth from oil, so in other words, poor and barren. Then there are those mountains, and before you think that those mountains at least would provide good gold income, they don't. The Divides all barely make it past 100 gold base. And at least one of them has base food production in the single digits.

So yes, sometimes there just isn't any choice if you decide on the wrong realm. Of course you can say all you want about having outside support and all that. But really? What realm is seriously going to give you food for free, or at a very low price, especially when your entire realm would be dirt poor to afford any food, yet still needs it? I'm talking about theoretical Sallowtown realm, by the way, which some people apparently think they have it figured out.

Ahem...they probably don't.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #52: June 24, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
Wait... what is this "decent income" that we're talking about?  I consider a knight making 50+ gold per week to be "a knight of decent income", and 80+ gold per week to be "a knight with a good income", and 100+ gold per week to be "a wealthy knight".

I feel that many are overestimating how many estates, and therefore knights are needed for a particular region.  Most regions need only 1 knight, at most 2.  Even most townslands can get by with 2 knights.  Quite a few cities can thrive with a tiny bit of maintenance + care on just 2-4 knights.

Thus, if the lords/dukes are okay with oaths like 40% for a 1 knight region, 25-30% for a 2 knight region, and 10+% for a 3-4 knight city, then there would be no problems with gold.  Of course, I'm also talking with the assumption of near 100% production/population.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #53: June 24, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »
Lieges usually aren't too clear about how many knights they absolutely need. Some like to have a lot too, even if the region really doesn't need it.

And for dukes of large cities, yeah, took me a while to get some of them to give me above 10%. Now I just go straight for the 10% for a huge city, way more if I know the duke needs knights.

But even so, some places really can't be helped.

egamma

« Reply #54: June 25, 2011, 01:45:20 AM »
I'm lord of Raviel on Dwilight. My knight gets 55 gold with a 26% share. The region requires 9/9, and as you know, a large estate only provides 8 points of coverage. so I'm a little short, and I can't find another knight, even though I would be willing to offer a 30% share to anyone wiling to serve., I told my knight a few days ago that I would increase his share to 32% if his family could find another knight for the region. I've also sent messages from my other characters a month ago, to no avail.

Could the current estate system have the requirements decreased slightly, given the downward trend in our player base? Even better would be if the demand changed dynamically, so that if more players join, there is space created for them.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #55: June 25, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
I'm lord of Raviel on Dwilight. My knight gets 55 gold with a 26% share. The region requires 9/9, and as you know, a large estate only provides 8 points of coverage. so I'm a little short, and I can't find another knight, even though I would be willing to offer a 30% share to anyone wiling to serve., I told my knight a few days ago that I would increase his share to 32% if his family could find another knight for the region. I've also sent messages from my other characters a month ago, to no avail.

Could the current estate system have the requirements decreased slightly, given the downward trend in our player base? Even better would be if the demand changed dynamically, so that if more players join, there is space created for them.

Do you really need 9 estate?  Why can't you function on 8/9 authority?  I do that all the time...
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

« Reply #56: June 25, 2011, 11:50:21 PM »
Do you really need 9 estate?  Why can't you function on 8/9 authority?  I do that all the time...

Hmm, right now I'm running with full authority and the shortage is on production. I suppose it should be the other way around.

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 26, 2011, 01:47:07 AM »
Lieges usually aren't too clear about how many knights they absolutely need. Some like to have a lot too, even if the region really doesn't need it.

And for dukes of large cities, yeah, took me a while to get some of them to give me above 10%. Now I just go straight for the 10% for a huge city, way more if I know the duke needs knights.

But even so, some places really can't be helped.

I'm glad that you aren't trying to be my knight. That 10% would be 200 gold a week. Or just over it. hehe. Then again, all of my knights would be considered "wealthy" by the standards of the guy who stated his standards just a bit ago.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 26, 2011, 06:26:17 AM »
Well at least your admission to dealing little with "newbies" makes me understand better why you chose certain stances in your vision of what BM needs to be more "fun".

Low incomes should also be expected for certain realms. Obsidian Islands is a prime example. But for your Dwilight experience, Barca will never reach any good income, even at maximum production. Poor cities, no nearby townslands, poor woodlands and rurals, means if they have enough knights to maintain enough estates for all those regions, the income would be spread about paper thin.

If anyone ever decides to be crazy and try to go for Sallowtown, it's a similar story. The city has about no income or food production, nor do its regions either. It is separated from easy access to fertile grounds by a huge desert that has stats fitting for a desert, minus any potential wealth from oil, so in other words, poor and barren. Then there are those mountains, and before you think that those mountains at least would provide good gold income, they don't. The Divides all barely make it past 100 gold base. And at least one of them has base food production in the single digits.

So yes, sometimes there just isn't any choice if you decide on the wrong realm. Of course you can say all you want about having outside support and all that. But really? What realm is seriously going to give you food for free, or at a very low price, especially when your entire realm would be dirt poor to afford any food, yet still needs it? I'm talking about theoretical Sallowtown realm, by the way, which some people apparently think they have it figured out.

Ahem...they probably don't.

People wanting to claim Sallowtown? I doubt we could accept that. And I doubt Sallowtown can survive as anything else than a D'Haran duchy or D'Haran-sponsored colony. While various factions could have various motives to sponsor a colony there, the only one who could actually economically benefit from such an investment is D'Hara, for defensive purposes and as a base of operations to free the eastern land trade route for access to eventual eastern realms. Hence why D'Hara claims up to Desert of Silhouettes, after all. And we did at one time hold Sallowtown, when our capital was a little more central and we had (I assume at least) more nobles.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 27, 2011, 04:03:32 PM »
Whenever I talk about how many knights a region needs, for general discussions about how many knights it takes to run a region/realm, I always figure on all knights have large estates, with both production and authority covered to no less than 100%. Let's face it, regions *can* be stable without any knights at all, if you're willing to run the region at an 7-8% tax rate or something like that, and *nothing* happens to disturb the balance. (If it does, then the region will go down the tubes *fast*!)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.