Author Topic: Cliques - a problem? and how to deal with them?  (Read 37873 times)

Zakilevo

While I have no desire to read through the rest of this thread, now seems like an opportune time to remind everyone of the many great suggestions for mortality already in Feature Requests. In fact, at least one moves for this exact idea.

I am pretty sure the idea was pretty much approved although it fell out as other new topics came up.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I still think that that IC mentors need no special mechanics and that what we really need is an in game OOC help system. This might be quite simple:

Make an island wide message group
only allow OOC messages to be sent
sign all messages as anonymous
allow existing players to subscribe to this message group on a per character basis
have new players automatically join the group
call the message group "Game Help" or something that makes it clear what it's function is

Of course, I have made this suggestion already but just wanted to bring up the idea again...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
It's a great idea. I don't think it should be anonymous, though.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Only if it doesn't have better perks.

From where I sit, I see there being social benefits to being able to say that your character can die. Basically, being able to truthfully say that you're willing to put your life on the line, while someone else isn't, gives you something of a moral advantage.

Being able to turn that on any time you want, but turn it off briefly any time you expect to actually be facing real risk, is not something I consider desirable.

Having it changeable just once per month (or heck, four months) would be enough to prevent this.

I'm also not sure how significant that moral advantage is... Characters could do that with the hero subclass, but I don't see them doing so. In fact, most of the people I saw make such claims were not even heroes. After all, anyone can claim that they'd take a hit for their nation, because anyone can be targeted by infiltrators, wounded in battle, or captured and tortured. The fact that they cannot actually die randomly has never seemed to have much significance in my interactions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Anyone denying that cliques dont exist in BM or the minimum time in realm rules dont exist anymore... yeah nah. Youre wearing rose tinted glasses. As someone who has never really been in a clique and a frequent outsider, things are way different on the outside.

How often can you have a well known player join you in a realm, based on your reputation as a player?
How often can seemingly impossible alliances happen, based on your reputation as a player?
How often can you rally a massive movement to create change, based on your reputation as a player?

Now I know Im about to hear but oh, not my fault Im dynamic and active, maybe you should put in more effort, why are you mad that I play better than you.

Well. When a 10 day old character tries these things he is told to simmer down or labelled a trouble maker. When INSERT WELL KNOWN PLAYER HERE tries it they are a master schemer and a great creator of fun in the game. This is the widespread intercontinental BM clique. All of you who say you have never seen a realm where the old guard could not be changed or penetrated are probably in it. People trust your characters based on you as a player. You can rally great power, because other people have played with you so often. The less active players latch on, this is the same player of the queen on a different continent, surely this will be fun.

Smaller in realm cliques spring to mind. Atamara is rife with that mentality. It is readily apparent on SI as well. Denying a problem exists is not the answer, analyze the extent. If one person quits because he feels excluded or unvalued is too many. And I know, Ive come close many times.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Anyone denying that cliques dont exist in BM or the minimum time in realm rules dont exist anymore... yeah nah. Youre wearing rose tinted glasses. As someone who has never really been in a clique and a frequent outsider, things are way different on the outside.

How often can you have a well known player join you in a realm, based on your reputation as a player?
How often can seemingly impossible alliances happen, based on your reputation as a player?
How often can you rally a massive movement to create change, based on your reputation as a player?

Now I know Im about to hear but oh, not my fault Im dynamic and active, maybe you should put in more effort, why are you mad that I play better than you.

Well. When a 10 day old character tries these things he is told to simmer down or labelled a trouble maker. When INSERT WELL KNOWN PLAYER HERE tries it they are a master schemer and a great creator of fun in the game. This is the widespread intercontinental BM clique. All of you who say you have never seen a realm where the old guard could not be changed or penetrated are probably in it. People trust your characters based on you as a player. You can rally great power, because other people have played with you so often. The less active players latch on, this is the same player of the queen on a different continent, surely this will be fun.

Smaller in realm cliques spring to mind. Atamara is rife with that mentality. It is readily apparent on SI as well. Denying a problem exists is not the answer, analyze the extent. If one person quits because he feels excluded or unvalued is too many. And I know, Ive come close many times.

That's absurd. On BT and a few other places, the name Chénier leaves few indifferent. In a lot of other places, it has absolutely no meaning to almost everyone. I rarely see new players try to change things, and if I went around and did as those who do did, I'd have the exact same result. They don't fail because they aren't part of "the clique", they fail because they just don't know how to succeed.

Most families who have a reputation of causing trouble don't even work together, more often then not they are hostile to each other. Often, the players themselves don't like each other. There's no secret guild of trouble-makers with some kind of secret handshake that determines if one is legitimately allowed to cause trouble or not.

Please name actual realms which you consider faulty. Sure, ignoring a problem isn't a good thing, but making one up where it doesn't exist isn't any better. Almost all clique accusations I've heard of were completely unfounded. Calling "clique" left and right doesn't do the game any good, it's just a new witch hunt.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eirikr

I am pretty sure the idea was pretty much approved although it fell out as other new topics came up.

There's also the limited time and roster of the developers at work. Let's split the difference and call it a reminder. :P

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
That's absurd. On BT and a few other places, the name Chénier leaves few indifferent. In a lot of other places, it has absolutely no meaning to almost everyone. I rarely see new players try to change things, and if I went around and did as those who do did, I'd have the exact same result. They don't fail because they aren't part of "the clique", they fail because they just don't know how to succeed.
see

They dont have a strong family name to say, oh yes, theyre trustworthy let me go along with their scheme.

Most families who have a reputation of causing trouble don't even work together, more often then not they are hostile to each other. Often, the players themselves don't like each other. There's no secret guild of trouble-makers with some kind of secret handshake that determines if one is legitimately allowed to cause trouble or not.
Except when the main clique of movers and shakers does something theyre being dynamic, not being trouble makers. Thats the current paradigm. This isnt about causing trouble, this is about not being able to enact change.

Please name actual realms which you consider faulty. Sure, ignoring a problem isn't a good thing, but making one up where it doesn't exist isn't any better. Almost all clique accusations I've heard of were completely unfounded. Calling "clique" left and right doesn't do the game any good, it's just a new witch hunt.
Talerium. Talerium is huge with old guard culture; my character has been there 3000+ days and Im not considered old guard, he became general because we had 18 nobles and Im the only one who said yes. CE has a clique that has grown pretty powerful too. The ruling clique in Taselak is pretty brutal. I was part of the Astrumese ruling clique until I threw it away. Denying the existance of groups of players exclusionary to others is just... false.

Zakilevo

Interesting. As for me, I got into the 'cliques' with characters I actually spent considerable time on to develop.

BarticaBoat here was with me in Astrum ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
see
They dont have a strong family name to say, oh yes, theyre trustworthy let me go along with their scheme.

That has nothing to do with it. It's not just about effort (are you really saying that change should be effortless?), it's about experience. Not the "Oh look at that guy he's had a long career" experience, but the "I tried every trick in the book and I now know which ones work and which don't" kind. The family name is worth little. I don't think I expressed this clearly enough in the prior post: even if I went to places where the Chénier name does mean something, if I just go about the wrong way, I will fail. In fact, in many of those places, the reputation will hurt me more than it will help me. I don't get to places thanks to the family name, I get there despite it. I shook things up on BT and woke up Enweil from a long slumber, setting off a constant chain of wars for years when I swayed my peers to invade Fwuvoghor. It took me years. And then it took me ages still to become ruler, and only thanks to a fluke, and only for half a mandate. And forever more, still, to be made duke. Had I been calmer, more docile, I would have achieved all of this  lot more quickly. Even within my power base, I had a lot of opponents. Achievements or being an old player does not equate having everything on a silver platter.

Except when the main clique of movers and shakers does something theyre being dynamic, not being trouble makers. Thats the current paradigm. This isnt about causing trouble, this is about not being able to enact change.

Trouble and change are the same. Change is not smooth. The status quo has a reason for being, there are people who fought to create. And to maintain it. And many will continue to fight any change. One doesn't just waltz into a realm and say "Hey, I'm an old player, and I present you change" to then have everyone else say "hey, that's true, he's one of those dynamic folk, we'll all go along with it". That's like saying that the experienced archer achieves better results because his arrows like the fact that he's experienced and thus cooperate more with him.

"Clique" is completely inappropriate and offensive in this context. Players widely reputed for being "dynamic" or enacting "change" usually scarcely ever play with more than a few of each other, if any. These players are also usually able to get to their destinations not by being some kind of closed group, but rather by being open and being able to involve as many people as possible.

And you seem to completely mix up OOC and IC. I don't see any players, on the forums, going about complaining about their nasty newbie trouble makers. Nor do I see any characters, IC, going about to praise these "dynamic change-bringers". Change and conflict are generally praised on the forums, but with no distinction as to who brings them. IC, they are generally opposed, again with no distinction as to who brings them. It has nothing to do with new/old.

Talerium. Talerium is huge with old guard culture; my character has been there 3000+ days and Im not considered old guard, he became general because we had 18 nobles and Im the only one who said yes. CE has a clique that has grown pretty powerful too. The ruling clique in Taselak is pretty brutal. I was part of the Astrumese ruling clique until I threw it away. Denying the existance of groups of players exclusionary to others is just... false.

I'm glad you finally named realms. I don't play in any of these, but it just sounds, by this and all of your previous comments, that you define everything as a clique. Others who play there will now be able to react.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Vilfredo Pareto, an old-time Italian economist and sociologist, wrote in his work Trattato di sociologia generale (1916) that there is a constant struggle in "societies" between (elitarian) groups. He illustrates this with the image of the lions and the foxes;

The lions hold all the power and rule over their society. The foxes are young, new, and conniving - they will try to overthrow the lions by tricks. The Lions have no reason not to defend their dominant position, and will "hunt" the foxes to thwart their attempt to lead society. However, at some point in time, the foxes will ultimately manage to overthrow the lions - be it that the ranks of the lions thin out, or that the foxes are successful in overthrowing the lions outright. These foxes, who are now leaders, will however grow into the habit of becoming lions. Whatever "new" they brought, whatever "change" they promised, will be compromised because the need to monopolize and hold on to power.

Lions and foxes constantly change, but there is only one "elite" that rules society at any given time.

Do not expect quick-position rotation in Battlemaster. Either be a lion from the start and hope to get a share of the meal, or become a fox, if power is what you are after. But yes, I suppose there can be cliques, in the matter that cliques can be classified under the permanent struggle of power, and thus the need to "team up" to maximize power (authority) efficiency.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Anyone denying that cliques dont exist in BM
In each realm, there is definitely a group that is in power. If you walk in and buck that group, you *will* be met with resistance. It doesn't matter what realm you go to, or what your family name is. If 10 days after you join you start talking about replacing the government and fomenting rebellion, you *will* be tossed out on your ear, no matter what realm you're in, or who you are.

If, on the other hand, you walk in and want to cooperate, work within the system, and actually help, you will be met with welcome, and can quickly work your way up. At least in the vast majority of realms that I have heard of. There are still a couple that are very difficult to move in. The few that I have heard of are Talerium (which I've heard is the absolute most difficult), CE, Tara, and Sirion. I don't have any personal experience with these, this is second-hand knowledge. With the recent regime change in Tara, things may start to change there.

or the minimum time in realm rules dont exist anymore... yeah nah.
Name names.
Point me to a wiki page laying it out.
Copy/paste a IG bulletin with the specific details.
Copy me an IG message where someone explicitly states it.

Give me something concrete that points out to a certain group of players telling someone that they can't be a leader because they haven't spent XXX days in the realm. (Something current, and not just "you can't be in the council until you've been in the realm for 30 days".)

In fact, if you have something like that, go ahead and file a Titans report about it, and get some official ruling.

Well. When a 10 day old character tries these things he is told to simmer down or labelled a trouble maker. When INSERT WELL KNOWN PLAYER HERE tries it they are a master schemer and a great creator of fun in the game.
There are very, very few players who can accomplish anything even remotely resembling what you're describing. And the ones that can do that, and only on very rare occasions, specialize in tearing things down, not building them up. Tearing down is *much* easier.

Massive change takes massive effort, and massive time. Enoch didn't destroy SA in 10 days. It took years of effort by several players to put the right people in the right places.

In any case, 10 day old characters (by which I'm going to assume you mean a brand new account) are often very clumsy in the way they do things. They walk in and declare themselves the one that will shake things up. They issue direct challenges to the people with power. They get in your face and shove. That's not how you accomplish change. that's how you get ostracized.

This is the widespread intercontinental BM clique. All of you who say you have never seen a realm where the old guard could not be changed or penetrated are probably in it.
No, no, no ... no one is saying that power groups in realms don't exist.

People trust your characters based on you as a player. You can rally great power, because other people have played with you so often. The less active players latch on, this is the same player of the queen on a different continent, surely this will be fun.
Well of course they do. This makes both IC and OOC sense. Your family gains a reputation. You as a player gain a reputation. Want to destroy something? Have Stabbity bring in a Himoura. Want to build up a realm with a great military tradition? Call out Lapallanch. Want a great republican realm with elaborate laws, traditions, and rules? Have Anaris come on over. Want to go along for the ride in a realm with that kind of flavor? Then find a real with one of those guys in power, and enjoy the ride.

Smaller in realm cliques spring to mind. Atamara is rife with that mentality. It is readily apparent on SI as well.
I'm not seeing it in Sandalak on SI. We've been appointing damn near everyone who asks for a position or group membership. Other SI realms, I dunno.

Denying a problem exists is not the answer, analyze the extent. If one person quits because he feels excluded or unvalued is too many. And I know, Ive come close many times.
People in this thread *have* been acknowledging that realms need to open up. We *know* that some realms are controlled by close-knit groups. But ...

There is also no doubt that a significant portion of these claims of exclusive cliques/clans are way overblown.  Someone who comes into a realm as a new player or character and very quickly directly challenges authority *will* find themselves stomped on. What do you expect, that they be instantly handed the reigns?

As I said above, players/families *do* gain a reputation. There is nothing wrong with this. It's part of the nature of the game. Also, you cannot get away from this. Players will learn what other players they like to play with, or who generate a play style they like. They will gravitate toward these players. I don't see how you can expect it to be any other way.

The same thing happens in a negative way, as well. There are families who's characters are almost never trusted. They've gained reputations for being self-serving, traitorous, or interested only in amassing personal power. There are families who you can count on to swap the allegiance of their regions as soon as it becomes apparent that the enemy will begin a takeover, profess their undying loyalty to the new regime, then swap back as soon as the wind changes. Some people that, if there is a rebellion brewing, they will be part of it. These people often find themselves on the outside based solely on the reputation they have amassed over the years. Do they do that because of the way they have been treated, or are they treated that way because of what they've done?

The way you do things matters.

Talerium. Talerium is huge with old guard culture;
Talerium is one of those realms that simply doesn't change. They have remained constant and static forever. They are in the unfortunate spot of being caught between two hostile giants for *years*.

my character has been there 3000+ days and Im not considered old guard,
This is the perfect example for the fact that time in realm doesn't matter. If it did, then you'd be *leading* the "old guard". You're not part of it because they don't trust you, not because you haven't been in the realm for long enough.

he became general because we had 18 nobles and Im the only one who said yes.
Kinda sounds like the way I've ended up being general of a couple realms.

I was part of the Astrumese ruling clique until I threw it away.
The Astrum ruling clique... wasn't really a ruling clique. It was that way mostly because the realm, for a long time, had NOTHING happening. Power wasn't being held to a closed group, there was simply no turnover because nothing was happening. I tried opening things up from time to time while ruler, going so far as to remove all but one message group. But there was still nothing being discussed, because NOTHING was happening.

What's kind of funny is that on SI, Kurlock proposed just not using message groups, and doing everything with everyone in the whole realm. Then all the complaints started rolling in about how people didn't want to have to deal with all the messages, and just wanted the leaders to shut up and give them the orders. You just can't win...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

Indeed. People didn't like 'too many letters' thing. I guess the current players only like an adequate amount of letters instead of piles and piles of them.

Jens Namtrah

So, to toss in a reminder:

The "investigators" job is to find out who needs "counseling".

NO punishments come from them or their actions.

So - "provoke into X" is bull!@#$

So - "abuse this or that" is bull!@#$

I realize in the world we live in, 99% of the people cannot  fathom a system that punishments are not a part of, but this is one if them.

The ONLY purpose is to find realms that are not welcoming to newer players or overly cliquish, and work with them THROUGH CONVERSATION to become more friendly to newer/shorter term players to strengthen their realm and the game at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:05:51 AM by Miskel Hemmings »

Jens Namtrah

This is the perfect example for the fact that time in realm doesn't matter. If it did, then you'd be *leading* the "old guard". You're not part of it because they don't trust you, not because you haven't been in the realm for long enough.

I call complete and utter bull!@#$ and will now ask you to stop trolling this thread, desperately trying to prove something you "pre-decided" by contradicting yourself every other sentence.

He has been in the realm for 3000+ day and is the GENERAL. There are sixteen ways from Sunday he could bring the entire realm down if he wanted to.

That's not an in-game trust issue they have.