Author Topic: Character Classes and One's Estate  (Read 18565 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Character Classes and One's Estate
« Reply #15: October 07, 2014, 11:08:52 PM »
I don't have to screw around with estates if I want to persecute infils/priests. I could blanket ban all priests in my realm, simply because I despise organized religion. Or I can blanket ban all infiltrators because I think they're scum. Neither one of those is an IR violation.

Aren't they?

I think either of those should be reported to the Titans for IR violations, and the Titans should consider the specific facts of the case.

Doesn't work. IRs are not interchangeable like that. I am specifically forbidden from offering people incentives to not go to a tournament, because it is their IR to do so. But I *am* allowed to offer people incentives to recruit infantry, even though it is their IR to recruit whatever they want. I can also offer people incentives to change class, even though it is their IR to be whatever class they want. But I can't offer them incentives to move within the last 30 minutes before turn change.

No, they're not interchangeable. And the narrow exception, as I noted earlier, is specifically for recruiting a certain unit type.

I see the whole active/passive distribution of the gold as a red herring. It shouldn't matter whether the distribution is manual or automatic. I want to give a bonus/incentive for people who are warriors. Whether I choose to do that by manually handing out gold or making warrior's estates bigger should have absolutely no bearing at all.

I see it as being the crux of the issue.

Turn it around, Indirik. Say no one ever gave you a bigger estate just because you changed your class to Cavalier. But then, when your Lord notices that you've changed your subclass to Diplomat, they reduce your estate size, and tell you if you want your bigger estate back, you'd better change back to Cavalier as soon as the timeout expires.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan