Author Topic: Incentives and Benefits for Positive Character Actions  (Read 7774 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
We used to have a glory score, along with infamy and two other stats I think. I don't remember why it got ditched, but I think part of the problem was precisely to make it a meaningful stat that reflects reality, which I think it did poorly. Any introduction of such a score also needs to be given time, because it's hard to give a proper stat value based on events that happened before the stat existed.
The attribute system you're thinking of was the old pie chart thing. Your character was rate in four areas, and you were given a pie chart that was generated based on the ratio of each value to the sum of all of them. The two problems with this were: 1) No one else could ever see your chart. 2) There weren't enough actions available for each of the four attributes to really make it dynamic and useful. It stuck around for a while, but was eventually removed as not really being very useful. IIRC it was really Tom's project. It was implemented and then removed before I joined the dev team.

Perhaps in place of (or in addition of) such game-generated stat, we should have a player-driven one? In this regard, we already have medals, but these only reflect the past, target the player as a whole, and don't actually have any effect. Perhaps characters should have an option to rate other characters in the realm? A few metrics could be used, such as trustworthiness, respectability, leadership and fun. Bonuses and/or new actions could be granted, according to some of the scores. For example, someone with a high fun score could passively see a percentage of the fines he gets payed by NPCs. Someone with high fun and leadership could use that usurpation feature suggested by Lorgan against someone with low scores in the same stats. Characters with high respectability could band together to force destitutions of government members. The like. I'm not 100% confident we can trust players with this power, though.

Edit: for such a mechanic to work, there would need to be some bonuses or actions that are no longer possible when a certain stat goes too high, otherwise cliques are certain to give each other max scores in all measurable stats.
Any player-driven system where players click a button to rate other players will, intentionally or not, end up creating/reinforcing cliques and groups. Players will rate their own realm members high, in order to give their realm the special powers/bonuses. Your realm mates are also the ones you interact with most, and will have the most opportunities to rate or develop favorable opinions of. The medal system tries to get around this by making it easier to give medals to people that are not in your realm. But the medal system also doe snot have any real IG effects.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.