Author Topic: Too much peace too much for Dwilight  (Read 71404 times)

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
Re: Too much peace too much for Dwilight
« Reply #60: June 10, 2011, 07:03:57 AM »
Attempts to decrease server strain and the "too much peace" mechanic seem to be at cross-purposes.

He did more than threaten. At least four, maybe five rulers got bolted for that.

That's far too heavy-handed, in my opinion, and it's certainly contrary to the spirit of roleplaying, as far as Dwilight would be concerned in such a situation.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:11:08 AM by Vaylon Kenadell »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: June 10, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »
Attempts to decrease server strain and the "too much peace" mechanic seem to be at cross-purposes.
The two are completely unrelated. The server issues have nothing to do with BattleMaster itself.

That's far too heavy-handed, in my opinion, and it's certainly contrary to the spirit of roleplaying, as far as Dwilight would be concerned in such a situation.
The situation on EC at the time was nothing at all like the current situation on Dwilight. There were rumors that certain players were actively working through OOC channels, to keep the island at peace. I don't really know any of the details. I had only been playing the game for maybe a year or so, and was not playing in any of the realms involved.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: June 10, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
EC had seen a whole year - or thereabouts - of uninterrupted peace. No wars, virtually no battles other than a few monster mop-ups which are hardly worth the effort. That might be fun for those with top positions so they can kick back and siphon off tons of gold to their families or to train their characters, but for the vast majority of people who have no positions at all and a mediocre or small income, it's incredibly boring. Tom first said "Start some wars." That didn't help, so he said "Start some wars or else." That /still/ didn't help, so he threatened to bolt those who were chiefly responsible for the boredom: the rulers. And I guess they thought he was bluffing, because not too long after that a few rulers got fried. And wouldn't you know, wars started within a week or two. I wouldn't call that heavy-handed. If anything, I think Tom should've started threatening people much, much sooner. As far as I'm concerned, that was an entirely wasted year. This game is called BattleMaster, the fighting aspect is just as important as the RP aspect.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #63: June 10, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
Tom first said "Start some wars." That didn't help, so he said "Start some wars or else." That /still/ didn't help, so he threatened to bolt those who were chiefly responsible for the boredom: the rulers. And I guess they thought he was bluffing, because not too long after that a few rulers got fried. And wouldn't you know, wars started within a week or two. I wouldn't call that heavy-handed. If anything, I think Tom should've started threatening people much, much sooner. As far as I'm concerned, that was an entirely wasted year. This game is called BattleMaster, the fighting aspect is just as important as the RP aspect.

That's called railroading, and good GMs don't have to do it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: June 10, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
That's called railroading, and good GMs don't have to do it.

This isn't a campaign with a preset story.  This is a massively multiplayer game, and a small number of people were conspiring to make it deadly boring for a much larger number.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #65: June 10, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
This is a massively multiplayer game, and a small number of people were conspiring to make it deadly boring for a much larger number.

Did player count on EC go back up after they were bolted?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: June 10, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »

I have no idea; I wasn't paying attention, and wasn't even a dev at the time.

However, this was years before the start of the steady player decline we now see.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: June 10, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
Does it matter? BM is Tom's game, if he says there has to be war, then that's how it's gotta be. The social contract says every player has a responsibility to keep the game fun, not just for themselves but for others too. A year-long peace is NOT fun for the majority of people.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: June 10, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
Yes. Once the wars started, people started coming back to the island they had left because it was, you know, no longer boring.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: June 11, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »
They won't, unless... There is a power bloc out there that isn't among the realms named. Just saying.  ;D

I don't see any power bloc as having both the interest and capacity to support the destruction of Aurvandil. And I consider Madina to be a pretty fragile realm to prey upon if so they insist. The way I see it, if Madina decides to go to war, both southern realms will die and everyone in the south will pay for it.

Though I'll be glad they'd have freed us from Too much peace, it's not something I want to see happening.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: June 11, 2011, 01:27:25 AM »
SA intervening to help Madina, a realm that declared war on SA, against (among those realms) Terran and D'Hara, two southern realms relatively open to Astroism?

Seems unlikely.

Lurian intervention?

Reasonably possible.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: June 11, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »
Even if Luria were interested, the main interest would be "ooh, look, a nice big island with lots of farmland...Mmmmmmm...Want..."
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: June 11, 2011, 01:42:36 AM »
How exactly would LN/PeL pay for Madina's downfall? It's not like we've ever depended on them in the slightest.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: June 11, 2011, 04:37:46 AM »
How exactly would LN/PeL pay for Madina's downfall? It's not like we've ever depended on them in the slightest.

Madina's downfall? The question was about protecting Madina if they destroy Aurvandil, as "on their own", without the help of "another power bloc", they would not be able to resist the wrath of the southern coalition. If they break the truce and attack Aurvandil, though, I guess you are free to join in the party in Madina.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: June 11, 2011, 05:27:23 AM »
Even if Luria were interested, the main interest would be "ooh, look, a nice big island with lots of farmland...Mmmmmmm...Want..."

We'd have to let it air out for a long time to get rid of the foul stench of failure, though...