Author Topic: Too much peace too much for Dwilight  (Read 71416 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Too much peace too much for Dwilight
« Reply #135: July 19, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »
Freedom from the hordes and religious imperative.  Pian en Luries would pay a lot to not have tens of thousands of CS in hordes hitting every month, and any realm in Flowreston would feel the same way, I bet, while the Manifest Path has an explicit goal of dealing with all the hordes and civilizing all of Dwilight.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: July 20, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »
Freedom from the hordes and religious imperative.  Pian en Luries would pay a lot to not have tens of thousands of CS in hordes hitting every month, and any realm in Flowreston would feel the same way, I bet, while the Manifest Path has an explicit goal of dealing with all the hordes and civilizing all of Dwilight.

You'd be better off just sending your own army.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: July 20, 2011, 01:26:14 AM »
You'd be better off just sending your own army.

It would take an army the size of what Sanguis Astroism as a whole has, if not more, to keep it clear without taking all the land and thus reducing the spawn rates of the hordes.  I'd bet it would be cheaper to convert them all, spend a few months or so building up gold reserves and troops to the level needed to clear the hordes that exist at that moment, smash the hordes and RTO, then hold grimly until you destroy the existing hordes and deal with the lesser hordes that spawn after the area is civilized.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: July 20, 2011, 01:34:44 AM »
It would take an army the size of what Sanguis Astroism as a whole has, if not more, to keep it clear without taking all the land and thus reducing the spawn rates of the hordes.  I'd bet it would be cheaper to convert them all, spend a few months or so building up gold reserves and troops to the level needed to clear the hordes that exist at that moment, smash the hordes and RTO, then hold grimly until you destroy the existing hordes and deal with the lesser hordes that spawn after the area is civilized.

Whatever colonists you send there will get regularly smashed by the same hordes that currently smash PeL. Except that their income will be !@#$ty, and won't have any population to support decent recruitment rates.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: July 20, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
Whatever colonists you send there will get regularly smashed by the same hordes that currently smash PeL. Except that their income will be !@#$ty, and won't have any population to support decent recruitment rates.

Sounds like a challenge. Sign me up
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: July 20, 2011, 02:12:51 AM »
Sounds like Fun! Better wear your *kitten leather helm*.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: July 20, 2011, 02:46:22 AM »

Not true. They will be smashed by those same hordes minus whatever hordes may have spawned in their territory.

Moreover, if they hold on for long enough, the spillover could result in PeL being able to take more regions to hold, further reducing spawn rates. The exact size of the network effect would be disputable.

However, a much better location for such a "spawn reduction realm" would be Sallowtown. More easily defensible, probably better income (though still pitiful), and a more direct route to a "border close." The new realm could TO over to Axewild, while PeL TOs to the coast. If Luria Nova simultaneously spawned a new realm in Shinnen, big things could happen. The northern border of "Greater Luria" would be Desert of Silhouettes, Axewild, Lupa Lapu, and Poryatu or Dantooine. A capital shift to Poryatown would further ease defense, as would a new realm in Shinnen. This would establish "corner capitals" at Sallowtown, Poryatown, Shinnen, and Giask. Forland being essentially pacified between the Shinnen realm, Luria Nova, and Fissoa, resources could be committed northwards to allies in Sallowtown or Poryatown. Under these conditions, Flowrestown or Balance's Retreat could be meaningfully colonized.

The trick to beating the monsters is maximizing "secure regions" (regions with no rogue borders) and minimizing "border regions," minimizing travel times, and TOing in patterns that achieve the aforementioned maximization and minimization.  Moving to R/CTO Balance's Retreat does not reduce the number of human border regions or increase the number of human secure regions, and creates big travel times for support. Moving out on the flank to Sallowtown could accomplish this (as well as being more easily reinforceable by potential friendlies from D'Hara).
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: July 20, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »
"A capital shift to Poryatown would further ease defense"

A strategical capital shift? YOU MUST BE QUITE MAD, SIR!

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: July 20, 2011, 03:43:15 AM »
I was discussing an ideal defense of the area, not necessarily actual policy. Note I assumed the possibility of two colonies with nobles to staff estates in about 10 more regions.

Though, as has been discussed many times, a move to "center" a capital is acceptable. And if PeL planned to expand northwards to Lupa Lapu, Dantooine, and Flying Hongrns (maybe South Divide also?), that move would make a great deal of sense RP-wise.

Now that I look at it, the Desert of Silhouettes-South Divide-Flying Hongrns is probably the best defensive line available for defending that area north of Ciarin Tut/Mattan Dews-Lupa Lapu-Dantooine.... if you can recruit in Sallowtown.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: July 20, 2011, 04:03:12 AM »
Oh, aye, the first step is Shinnen, followed by Sallowtown.  But you're never going to completely pacify the area until the Mountains, Desert, and Axewild are under human control.  When that happens, then you can start seeing the realms there able to through their weight around.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: July 20, 2011, 04:04:52 AM »
I think you severely underestimate the rogue spawns in claimed regions. You seem to believe they will cease to spawn in those regions. They wouldn't.

While I invite you to prove me wrong, I am dead convinced that such a colony would be the worst investment ever.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: July 20, 2011, 04:07:12 AM »
Oh, no, they wouldn't be eliminated.  But they would be reduced.

And yes, it probably wouldn't actually be a worthy investment simply on a gold/return ratio.  But add in a religious imperative and it becomes feasible.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #147: July 20, 2011, 04:07:48 AM »
It IS possible, though the opportunity cost might be worthy of a collective "Huh?" for anyone who actually joins in such an attempt.

As it stands, maybe if all of Caerwyn migrated to the area, then just maybe the area could be held with any sort of stability. But they won't. And getting that number of nobles to that area of Dwilight? If anything there'd be gradually fewer.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: July 20, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »
I think you severely underestimate the rogue spawns in claimed regions. You seem to believe they will cease to spawn in those regions. They wouldn't.

While I invite you to prove me wrong, I am dead convinced that such a colony would be the worst investment ever.

We haven't had a single horde spawn in any LN region that I know of. Not even in newly taken ones or ones where advies report extreme levels of monster/undead activity.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: July 20, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »

Generally the only monster spawns we see inside Terran are in our large food producing regions like Vashgew or Gretchew, and then usually only when they neglect to distribute their stockpiles of food elsewhere and they build up in the warehouses.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)