Author Topic: Seasons  (Read 9457 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Seasons
« Topic Start: January 07, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
I like seasons.

I like that travel is different from time to time. I don't necessarily like that it consistently longer everywhere, especially with the lower density and larger realms we have now this can be hindrance. But I like for example that mountain regions are passable in summer become impassable in winter. It makes the game-play change on a slower time scale and allows for better strategy ("we can't spare an army as our flank would be exposed, but we'll never be invaded in winter from that side so we can prepare an attack then!").

I think it would be better if there were some things to balance game-play options in winter. For example, rivers could be easier to cross when frozen, or looting options could be different as there are no fields to burn.

I like that the food consumption becomes cyclic. This means that realms with a small food deficit only have to figure out a way through that small amount of time in the spring. If you can manage to get food during this 1-2 week where your stores are empty through buying or looting, you'll be fine when summer comes and you'll have a full 3-month in RL to find a solution before hunger appears again. When there are no seasons, the deficit is smaller but it will eat consistently at your stores until you have to let a city starve.
After all it's a roleplaying game.