Author Topic: Attack on Sasrhas!  (Read 63064 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Attack on Sasrhas!
« Reply #120: February 24, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
Whoever told your character that was deranged or had an axe to grind. The only realm Sartanists want to "convert" would be the Way of the Dragon of Ohnar West.

That's as may be, but it's what he understands. And no behaviour he's seen so far from Sartanism has suggested anything else.

Except that, in this case the exact wording is pretty important. It didn't help that Velax interpreted he exchange in exactly the same way you did, which happens to be completely inaccurate. The Taikun told everyone on the Ruler channel that Sasrhas was being attacked, but we had already ordered a retreat, due to our bungled coordination. And there was a real question of whether or not we would attack, my marshal specifically advised me not to, in fact.

So I was not lying or being deceptive when I said that no attack had taken place. Clearly though, responding to the Taikun at all was a mistake, because it became the thing everyone could point to and say, "Coralynth is horrible!" But when Emperor Velax calls you a liar on the ruler channel, it doesn't really matter whether you actually are. It was also clear that at least partly he was doing this for OOC reasons in order to shake things up a bit.

I'm sorry, but that's a lawyer's response. Just because the words you wrote were technically true doesn't mean they weren't intentionally deceptive. It was obvious to everyone on the continent that Coralynth was planning to join the war against Ohnar West, even though it was already apparently outmatched by Sorraine. Your mistake was not in responding to Taikun Ingall, it was in the actions that led up to the question in the first place.

If you wanted to be seen as honourable, you could have tried declaring war before the last possible second. Like, for instance, Baranion did.

A declaration of war isn't just a mechanical thing that lets you attack people you want to attack, you know. It's also a formality that declares your intentions. As one might want to do for a realm that one respects (or should be expected to show respect for publicly, whatever one's private feelings), such as a fellow member of one's Empire.

And my character told the Emperor straight up, if he kept going down this path it would spell the Doom of Arcaea... I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Eva was a prophet or that it was just wishful thinking. But Arcaea has had a LOT of issues ever since.

They have, but I don't think Coralynth can really take much credit. Dawn mishandled both her allies and her Duke pretty abominably, and now, from the sounds of it, the internal strife is pretty much over Sartanism.

Nothing to do with Coralynth.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan