Author Topic: Can we unnerf RTO's?  (Read 6589 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Can we unnerf RTO's?
« Topic Start: October 20, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »
I've been trying for a good month now to RTO the same region. This isn't a big or important region, it's a backwater rural with realm control at "occupied". I tried two peaceful takeovers and got captured. I just tried a violent one to follow it up and also got captured. About 90% of the peasants follow my religion. This goes beyond balancing the ability. Remember while I may be the one trying to initiate this TO but dozens of other players have contributed over the years by building up the religion and establishing its infrastructure in the region.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Can we unnerf RTO's?
« Reply #1: October 20, 2015, 07:18:11 PM »
I'd rather we not...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 20, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
If there are troops in the region, a priest attempting to declare a religious state there is highly likely to fail.

This is intentional, and is not a "nerf."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 20, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »
I've never really been happy with that criteria for rto's. It really seems like there should be a way for realms to officially sanction this. Maybe just by setting an official realm religion, rto's by that religion are sanctioned or something. Or maybe just for theocracies. But it feels like there should be some mechanism like that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 21, 2015, 12:31:21 AM »
I've never really been happy with that criteria for rto's. It really seems like there should be a way for realms to officially sanction this. Maybe just by setting an official realm religion, rto's by that religion are sanctioned or something. Or maybe just for theocracies. But it feels like there should be some mechanism like that.

I think this is a great idea. Although, I would support it primarily for theocracies. I think it would be quite reasonable for a theocracy with a supermajority of religious followers in the region to convert it with a religious takeover, assuming there are no enemy troops in the region.  And the theocracy has battlefield control. (But allow friendly troops of course. )
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 21, 2015, 12:35:30 AM »
I think this is a great idea. Although, I would support it primarily for theocracies. I think it would be quite reasonable for a theocracy with a supermajority of religious followers in the region to convert it with a religious takeover, assuming there are no enemy troops in the region.  And the theocracy has battlefield control. (But allow friendly troops of course. )

And say hello to all government types changing theocracies.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 21, 2015, 01:27:31 AM »
And that would be bad because....?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: October 21, 2015, 02:16:01 AM »
I agree with the idea of only allowing theocracies to perform RTO and making them decide on one religion as their main. It would be nice if they are allowed to arrest or attack heathens within their territory as well.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 21, 2015, 02:48:00 AM »

Do you seriously think that players in this game focus that much on trying to optimize game mechanics that they will change the government type of their realm? Players won't even start wars if it means it breaks the RP of their characters and alliances. They'd rather sit and be bored most of the time.

Also, there is so much religion diversity in the game, there would be huge pushback to becoming a theocracy in most realms. Force a theocracy to have a single state religion, and you certainly won't be seeing mass changes to theocracy.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 21, 2015, 04:18:46 AM »
Do you seriously think that players in this game focus that much on trying to optimize game mechanics that they will change the government type of their realm? Players won't even start wars if it means it breaks the RP of their characters and alliances. They'd rather sit and be bored most of the time.

Also, there is so much religion diversity in the game, there would be huge pushback to becoming a theocracy in most realms. Force a theocracy to have a single state religion, and you certainly won't be seeing mass changes to theocracy.

Trust me, I've seen it before. If there is a way to min-max that isn't illegal, you can bet your ass a lot of people will go for it.

Eirikr

« Reply #10: October 21, 2015, 05:04:22 AM »
I'd also say it's highly dependent upon the situation - here, the government change would be to win. The political stalemates are a situation where it's maintaining the victory.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 22, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
If there are troops in the region, a priest attempting to declare a religious state there is highly likely to fail.

This is intentional, and is not a "nerf."

Does that include monsters and undead? If I remember I tried once with no troops, once with only rogue troops and once with a single unit of only 35 men.

I agree with the idea of only allowing theocracies to perform RTO and making them decide on one religion as their main. It would be nice if they are allowed to arrest or attack heathens within their territory as well.

That could be cool. Another possibility is give all realms the ability to have a state religion which opens up the possibility for an RTO but theocracies get a bonus.

I'd reserve the right to attack or arrest only for pagans or people of a religion declared "evil". Maybe, and this is a big maybe, a person of an "evil" religion is subject to a ban when captured. There's also been talk of an option to convert to the enemy's religion rather then realm. Maybe it could be a choice they get. They can convert or be banned, and if caught again they can convert or be executed/deported. Idk just riffing. I've always felt BM could use more possibilities for death.

Changing government systems is a huge pain actually.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:06:26 PM by pcw27 »

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 06, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
Fourth attempt, no defending troops, occupied realm control, failed and imprisoned. It's really the imprisoned part that makes it so annoying. If there was a high likelihood of escaping after a failed RTO it would balance things out. A realm would have to respond to a militant priest. They'd only need to dispatch one or two units. That would be fun the two could become each other's nemesis. See that replaces PVE with PVP while maintaining balance making it more fun for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:10:36 PM by pcw27 »

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 07, 2015, 06:28:07 AM »
Open a bug report if there isn't one already. If you can record the various stats (hours used, cost, loyalty etc.). I'll set it to feedback later. It's at least worth looking at closer.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 13, 2015, 01:22:30 AM »
If we wish to have more priests and making priest class useful, this is it. RTO, one of the most powerful action, of course only available to the skilled priests. I recalled my priestess character fondly, she able to conduct RTO of rogue regions successfully long time ago.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)