Author Topic: Make Sharing Scout Reports simpler  (Read 3429 times)

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Make Sharing Scout Reports simpler
« Topic Start: January 28, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »
The Share with army works great, but...we don't really do that much anymore, unless you live in a realm with one giant army.

Problems:

1) the new data tables makes copy/pasting flaky, and runs the results together in an unreadable string

2) copying the link from each scout report means you need to open up a tab for your message, open a tab for scouting, scout, copy/paste, go back to information, scout, copy/paste,  go back to information, scout, copy/paste,  ..... until you've finished

This is one of the more annoying wastes of time in the game, leaving little time for adding comments or writing other letters

Possible solutions:

1) drop the "no sharing to realm" all together, or at least with realms under (for example) 20 nobles

2) add links to share to realm on the scout page

3) make a members group flaggable as "military council" & add a "Share to Military Council" link

4) on the Scribe page, add the same links in a column to make it easier to re-share or forward foreign scouting reports

5) on the message writer, have a listing/modal with the scribe reports you have that you can click to insert into your letter, to make things faster & easier to pass on to other people

6) review all of these and make sure they are completely & clearly identified, so we don't share "Scout Report" & have to type in what it is.

We should not have to spend as much time & effort copy/pasting simple pieces of information as we do.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Make Sharing Scout Reports simpler
« Reply #1: January 28, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
This (or a form of it) is, in fact, the current top thing on my TODO list.

The main solution I'm going with is basically your #5: I'm building support into the game for honest-to-goodness "message attachments," and when you send a message, you'll be able to see a list of your scout reports that you can attach to the message just by ticking the checkboxes next to them. The whole immersion-breaking ID/Hash thing will disappear entirely; you'll never have to see that again.

This should also open the door for some other interesting innovations in the future, but I'm going to try not to get ahead of myself too much.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 28, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
Sharing to the realm should be the default option. This has long been an annoyance.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 29, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Great - I'm very busy this next week, but if you tell me what versions of CKEditor & jquery adaptor you use, I can make a quick mockup that someone can just populate with the right fields when they have a chance to get to it. Save a bit of the grunt work & looking stuff up

It is more of UX problem than code - trying to get something that is usable & you don't have to scroll for 20 min.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:12:43 AM by Noone you know »

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 29, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
2) add links to share to realm on the scout page

I agree with this proposal and no.2 above. As my characters many are military characters, I spent quite sometime to share scout reports. I even need to copy and paste the scout report in Scribe area. If we missed out on the region when we copy and paste, we have to go back to Scribe area to copy again.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 29, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »
I can't wait for that to be implemented, Anaris.

Quick question though, will it also work for the mobile site?

While scouting & sharing those reports is already a pain & time inefficient on the normal website, try doing exactly that on your smartphone or tablet.

If you are implementing this sort of 'attachment sharing', could you maybe make sure it works smoothly on mobile version as well, that would be awesome! (But I know it might not be your priority right now)
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 29, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »
Great - I'm very busy this next week, but if you tell me what versions of CKEditor & jquery adaptor you use, I can make a quick mockup that someone can just populate with the right fields when they have a chance to get to it. Save a bit of the grunt work & looking stuff up

It is more of UX problem than code - trying to get something that is usable & you don't have to scroll for 20 min.

That's OK, Jeff—I've got that part mostly coded up already.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 29, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »
I can't wait for that to be implemented, Anaris.

Quick question though, will it also work for the mobile site?

While scouting & sharing those reports is already a pain & time inefficient on the normal website, try doing exactly that on your smartphone or tablet.

If you are implementing this sort of 'attachment sharing', could you maybe make sure it works smoothly on mobile version as well, that would be awesome! (But I know it might not be your priority right now)

Yes, it should be vastly easier than the current system on a mobile device.

I only have iOS devices personally, so I can't test on Android, but I will at least test it on iPhone and iPad before it goes live.
Timothy Collett

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 29, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
Yes, it should be vastly easier than the current system on a mobile device.

I only have iOS devices personally, so I can't test on Android, but I will at least test it on iPhone and iPad before it goes live.

Poke me if you want to see it tested on Android, then. If you bother at all  8)
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 29, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
Yes, mobile friendly is definite something that should be considered for any core feature. Not that every little convenience feature needs to work on mobile, but the big and important ones should.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.