Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 131970 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Reply #270: July 24, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WULsZJxPfws&feature=related

That's a clip from the show. You get a longer version here, but it's user-made images: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbEgr1A37s&NR=1
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:50:12 PM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #271: July 27, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
Though this doesn't seem to be enforced, considering I got myself promoted as lord without meeting the criteria (I suspect no better candidate came forth), does anyone else think this set of rules is the most elitist piece of !@#$ and anti-newb legislation there ever was?

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Minas_Ithil/Civil_Ranking

I find it disgusting, personally.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #272: July 27, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
lol an infiltrator gets to be baron(ess).

But it's MI, and just like all other things that bear the initials MI in BM, it's pointless.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #273: July 27, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
lol an infiltrator gets to be baron(ess).

I also loled when I saw that. Someone must have been trollin'.

I'm not sure what the hell grants a viscount title, but if lordship of a woodlands with 1900 pop requires 100 honour and 200 days in realm, I pray to god that no new nobles seeking promotions joins this realm, which fight about 3 battles since I joined it 183 days ago (took me forever to have enough honour to simply become a courtier).

Kudos to whoever destroys this realm.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274: July 27, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
I suppose they only call themselves by those titles after reaching that, not meaning they get the actual Lordship, or need the title to gain the Lordship. If not, that is one realm I'm not playing in anytime soon :P
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275: July 27, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »
If it's anything like most wiki projects of that nature, it was probably dreamed up and created/maintained by one or two people, and most of the realm doesn't even know it exists. The last edits were nearly two years ago, with the vast majority of being more than three years old. I wonder how many of the people on that list aren't even in MI anymore...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #276: July 27, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »
If it's anything like most wiki projects of that nature, it was probably dreamed up and created/maintained by one or two people, and most of the realm doesn't even know it exists. The last edits were nearly two years ago, with the vast majority of being more than three years old. I wonder how many of the people on that list aren't even in MI anymore...

Oh, no; this was the primary ranking for Minas Ithil going back to...well, at least to the new Wiki, and probably to when I joined the game, in Jan 2004.  It was created and maintained by Dead Angel's player, and frequently publicized in the realm.  It was the way Lordships and other positions were determined.

I don't know if this is still the case, of course, but at least up until I retired Anton a few years ago, that wiki page was gospel for the Minas Ithil hierarchy.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #277: July 28, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
Oh, no; this was the primary ranking for Minas Ithil going back to...well, at least to the new Wiki, and probably to when I joined the game, in Jan 2004.  It was created and maintained by Dead Angel's player, and frequently publicized in the realm.  It was the way Lordships and other positions were determined.

I don't know if this is still the case, of course, but at least up until I retired Anton a few years ago, that wiki page was gospel for the Minas Ithil hierarchy.

I was made count of a woodlands with little honor and little time in realm. I think there weren't many candidates, though, and my family ties with the duke most likely helped.

But it was just pointed out by some angry Himoura that my appointment was not legal because of these. I doubt anyone but him will make much of a fuss, though, and even if he pursues it many people have something or other against him, so I don't expect to lose that lordship any time soon. Wouldn't really care if it did happen, though.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #278: July 28, 2011, 01:03:55 AM »
I was made count of a woodlands with little honor and little time in realm. I think there weren't many candidates, though, and my family ties with the duke most likely helped.

But it was just pointed out by some angry Himoura that my appointment was not legal because of these. I doubt anyone but him will make much of a fuss, though, and even if he pursues it many people have something or other against him, so I don't expect to lose that lordship any time soon. Wouldn't really care if it did happen, though.

Not surprising.  He keeps going back to Minas Ithil because people put up with him there, for the sake of his famous prior characters.  I've seen him get shut down enough times in other realms, when he tries to pull the whole, "Don't you know who I am?!?!" thing...it's quite amusing to watch.  Whereas in Minas Ithil, he has literally gotten away with murder, the King at the time essentially chuckling and saying, "Well, will ya look at that scamp? The things he gets up to, I tell ya.  Well, boys will be boys."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #279: July 28, 2011, 01:05:22 AM »
Yup, much of that indeed.

When he says "Don't you know who I am!?", all I got to say is "you are a dude that our current king banned when he was the judge". That's what ticked him off.  ;D

egamma

« Reply #280: July 28, 2011, 01:47:54 AM »
He's my knight in Raviel, and I warned him the first day to behave himself. He actually has, so far. of course, it's only been two weeks.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281: July 28, 2011, 01:48:37 AM »
He's my knight in Raviel, and I warned him the first day to behave himself. He actually has, so far. of course, it's only been two weeks.

I think he lasted a few months in Pian en Luries before he did something moronic and had to leave.
Timothy Collett

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #282: July 28, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »
He wandered around Terran for a while.

Then he got into a feud with my character over a few spilled drinks at a dinner party.

He is gone from Terran now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #283: July 28, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »
He asked me permission to join us some time back, I said sure. He'll either be a productive knight, or will have productive estates, or, worse off, will do quite a circus and entertain us all before he leaves. Much like Bowie was, imo. It's a winning scenario no matter what.  8)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #284: July 30, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
Returning to the original topic...

I've just done the numbers again. This time, over the preceding 60 days, Dwilight saw an almost 20% increase in registrations. FEI and ATamara had 9% and 8%. Others were around 5ish% registration growth.

The story is slightly different for active players, though more optimistic than previously. While EC continues to hemorrhage active players (had 500 at my earliest numbers, now has about 405), Atamara seems to have slowed its decline (though it too has lost almost 100 active players since April). Moreover, activity has shown a slight increase in Beluaterra and Dwilight. Those two continents have displayed some consistent strength and seem to be getting stronger. No doubt at least part of Dwilight's strength comes from its high growth in registration. It is actually disappointing that its almost 20% in registration growth has led to barely 5% growth in activity. But better some growth than none.

FEI had a decline in active players that can be 100% explained by the recent multi-sweep. Without that sweep, FEI probably would have continued to show growth.

In sum: as per the usual, Atamara and East Continent are failures, while Beluaterra, Dwilight, and FEI are successes.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner