Author Topic: Retention Revisited  (Read 131463 times)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Retention Revisited
« Reply #435: December 10, 2011, 06:50:31 AM »
True, some leave after only a day, a week, a month. But there would probably need to be two separate questionnaires to handle both sides. After all, questions about whether you've been able to get into a message group, a guild, a lord, or a political office for someone a week in would be worthless.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #436: December 10, 2011, 06:51:47 AM »
True, some leave after only a day, a week, a month. But there would probably need to be two separate questionnaires to handle both sides. After all, questions about whether you've been able to get into a message group, a guild, a lord, or a political office for someone a week in would be worthless.

Indeed, those questions can wait. But overall appreciation, chattiness, and factors motivating or demotivating gameplay would be useful to collect after about a week or so.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #437: December 10, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »
I find 100 days to be really too long.

If players quit, they'd do it long before then in most cases I believe. While having players answer this twice might be useful, I think we should try to get people's opinions before most of the ones that leave have already done so.

And yet.... around 180 days TALKING about making a questionnaire is apparently too short.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »

Could Tom put up a little voluntary questionnaire for when someone deletes their account? After a while, we might have some decent data about what leaving people think of the game, why they left, etc. This questionnaire could also be sent out to people who previous had accounts (if their addresses are still stored somewhere).

Slightly different idea, but essentially the same. Fiddling while Rome burns...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #438: December 10, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
And yet.... around 180 days TALKING about making a questionnaire is apparently too short.

Slightly different idea, but essentially the same. Fiddling while Rome burns...

We didn't actually talk about it that long, the discussion just died.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #439: December 10, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
Maybe a 3-day questionnaire that gets emailed out, "hey, thanks for signing up, what did you think about the game?" to all new players.

And then a 100 day questionnaire as described previously for individual characters. Might help us determine which realms are the best for new players, perhaps--we could have the game suggest realms to new players. No, not n00b havens or anything like that, just have the game make recommendations to realms with more mentors and more open estates, active wars, etc.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #440: December 10, 2011, 10:14:18 PM »
Perhaps we could use the surveys to give realms public rankings like "fun", "advancement", "money", and "war", that newbies can see? This would both lead newcomers to go to realms that are known for retention, as well as encouraging realms to improve themselves.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

egamma

« Reply #441: December 10, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »
I think new characters should be presented with some stats on the continents. Right now, on the continent selection screen, we have an old description of each continent, and one statistic: average gold per noble. We should expand that to list "number of battles in past 30 days", maybe something else. Things to help people decide which island to play on. Highest average income isn't bad, but i think people want to see the battle in Battle Master, you know?

Then, when they get to the duchy selection, they currently see a few options--glory, estates needed, and size of duchy, I think. We could maybe put some 'highlights' at the top of the duchy selection page: "Highest Average Income per Noble", "Highest CS", etc, the things discussed previously. That way, players--especially new players--can quickly see what makes each duchy special.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #442: December 10, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
We didn't actually talk about it that long, the discussion just died.

precisely. and all action with it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443: December 11, 2011, 01:03:15 AM »
Action is being taken on this. It just hasn't reached the public yet.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #444: December 12, 2011, 04:04:47 AM »
Action is being taken on this. It just hasn't reached the public yet.

Glad to hear it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Puff.impossible

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #445: December 21, 2011, 12:40:57 AM »
Can someone tell me why I lost 1 point on family fame?

I'm a little confused because all I did was send personal messages to myself with Yuki and Kero.

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN AND LOSE 1 POINT OF FAMILY FAME Q_Q

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #446: December 21, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »

I'm a little confused because all I did was send personal messages to myself with Yuki and Kero.

I can assure you that the message did not cause any fame changes.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #447: December 21, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »

What does this have to do with this thread? lol

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Puff.impossible

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #448: December 21, 2011, 04:45:08 AM »
I'm sort of new to these kinds of forums so could you just please answer my question? :C

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #449: December 21, 2011, 04:52:59 AM »
I'm sort of new to these kinds of forums so could you just please answer my question? :C

unlikely anyone can tell you for certain, but:

there are a few glitches in the fame point system, where people are given them incorrectly, and then a clean up script removes them. it will be something to do with this.

Fame can never be subtracted for in-game actions. yours is just a programming issue