Author Topic: "One Less Click" Campaign  (Read 4930 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: "One Less Click" Campaign
« Topic Start: April 19, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »
Transitioning BM to a clean codebase will take several more years. Why not start fresh?

The answer to that is the same as it was eight years ago when I joined the dev team, and however many years ago it was when you effectively left it to work on Might and Fealty.

Sure, I'd love to see BattleMaster rewritten with a clean codebase in something like Symfony. But given the available developer time, that would require abandoning the idea of fixing any current bugs that aren't completely game-breaking for RL years before we had something that could hope to replace the existing game code.

The quickest way to start making a difference, building a parallel system that we could use to replace individual scripts one by one, we would still have to write the entire highly-interconnected model infrastructure before we could start working on a single user-facing script, and in this scenario we'd be stuck with the existing database structure (which I would dearly love to replace, as well).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan