Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 126304 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Topic Start: April 25, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »
Some further things I think are worth noting:

• There is no right in BattleMaster for any player or group of players to be able to play wherever they choose, and have the game support/enable that. D'Hara's particular position inherently leaves it open to hordes battering down its western doors.
  • Dwilight was initially created as a frontier island, with the human realms being small and isolated around the edges of the eastern half. Beluaterra has always had periodic invasions. The idea that fighting monsters is not "playing the game" is a wrongheaded idea, and will not help anything. Fighting monsters has always been part of the game, and moreso on these two islands.
  • That said, it has never been our intention (since the initial expanding-civilization period) for Dwilight's primary activity to be fighting monsters, nor for people to feel like it should be impossible to maintain a realm in a reasonable position on Dwilight.
  • If people are feeling like something is actively wrong with the game—whether because of bugs, unpleasant players, or dev team decisions—we want to hear about it. We won't always be able to—or choose to—do what is asked of us, but we definitely want to know all we can about the feelings of our players.

To address this specifically, I do feel that the realms on the ferry routes between the halves of Dwilight have been getting hammered a bit too heavily in recent weeks. I will investigate what it would take to allow monsters to use actual sea zones, which should spread out the pain much more if I can make it work in a sensible manner.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan