Author Topic: Monster Problems  (Read 126703 times)

byrdcr9

• Marketing
  • Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Problems
« Reply #120: August 18, 2016, 10:31:55 PM »
I have to agree with Feylonis. I find it odd that the Devs consider utilizing aggressive NPCs a viable solution to forcing realms to go to war.

The Devs do seem to understand that humans are risk-averse and that detracts from the fun of the game. They also seem to understand that character density is the solution to the problem. However, I feel that they are missing the mark by trying to use NPCs to create that density. Human population density is controlled by passive, geographic factors; not aggressive waves of invaders. Historically, when you get external population pressure, the people in the area either die or move somewhere else (i.e. German invasions of Ancient Europe, Hunnic invasions after that, Mongols after that, Indo-Aryans before any of them). Whereas when you limit land as a resource, people will begin to fight over it (i.e. Ancient Mesopotamia and the Levant, Egypt, Scandinavia sort-of, Scotland, etc...). Though land doesn't have to be the only resource in this case.

The problem I see with Dwilight is that the cities are spaced too far apart for anything to be done about it. Dwilight is massive, and there are few reasonable ways to limit people's ability to expand only at the expense of human realms. As I look at the map, only 3 out of 11 realms are trapped in by human realms and, guess what, the only human-human war is between one of those realms and Swordfell. All the other realms don't need to go to war to expand their power base, they just need to kick out a few resident monsters and their problem is solved.

I think the best solution in this case would be to adjust the statistics of the regions so that no single city can support itself with only its surrounding regions. Make it so that an exorbitant amount of food is required to sustain a realm. Then, make it very easy to maintain a region once it is taken. Ergo, no realm will be able to sustain its cities without taking land from every available source, including human realms.

Just some thoughts.
"There are two rules for success: 1. Don't tell everything you know" - Roger H. Lincoln