Author Topic: Adventurers and items. Amount of items changed?  (Read 4428 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Good Day, recently it seems like you dont find that much items through undead/monster hunting than you did a while ago? Often you find nothing or just 1 item. Very rare to find 2, some time ago you always found something and often multiple items per hunt. Anybody else noticed this? Has something changed?

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
definitely been adjusted.

was way too high before, to be honest. don't really 32 tents and 47 ropes. just sayin'

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yes; this has been adjusted, for more or less the reason that Jeff says.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Too bad, selling these 'extra' items generated some income  ;)
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Yes. Back in December, I added common items with hunting as it was too difficult for advies to gain items. Alas, it was too high and I had been meaning to reduce it at some point. Also, gathering was too low. Now, hunting should produce less items and gathering should produce more items, for what is intended to be a more reasonable balance in both.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yes. Back in December, I added common items with hunting as it was too difficult for advies to gain items. Alas, it was too high and I had been meaning to reduce it at some point. Also, gathering was too low. Now, hunting should produce less items and gathering should produce more items, for what is intended to be a more reasonable balance in both.

Ah good to know. It makes sense.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
I just feel that items are real rare now at hunting, hunted 5 groups of undeads, got one common item.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I just feel that items are real rare now at hunting, hunted 5 groups of undeads, got one common item.

-Jaune

you never used to get anything, unless you killed an alpha.

I suppose if they had a unit test, they could run it over and over & measure until they found the acceptable level...  :-X

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
And I suppose if you hadn't ragequit the dev team years ago, and had instead stayed to work to improve things incrementally, we might have working unit tests by now.

It's an imperfect world, BattleMaster's an imperfect game, and we're an imperfect dev team. Get over it, and quit making snide remarks on the forum.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
While not as exhaustive as automated testing, I did test several times with advies in different locations and skill levels, adjusting values as necessary. I did add advy skill affecting it to a small degree, but a small enough degree that someone low-skilled should not be having those results. Luck is a bigger effect than that. Common items are distributed differently by region type and frequency, so changing the region you're in might help.

I did some advy hunting on live and am getting between 0-3 items per round.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It's good to know that gathering is now more productive. I haven't gathered now for a vey long time, even before the items were increased for monster hunting.
 I will likely use the option more often now.
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
And I suppose if you hadn't ragequit the dev team years ago, and had instead stayed to work to improve things incrementally, we might have working unit tests by now.

It's an imperfect world, BattleMaster's an imperfect game, and we're an imperfect dev team. Get over it, and quit making snide remarks on the forum.

Yeah, but you drove me out with your attitude, didn't you? Like you've done to others. You wouldn't listen to me back then any more than you listen to me now - "We're not a professional shop. We don't have to do things correctly". So don't make silly comments like "things might have changed" - I was pushing for these things back then, and you were fighting them every step.

You'll be surprised to know, however, it was Tom's attitude that actually caused me to quit. AJ's bull!@#$ was just the last nail.

While not as exhaustive as automated testing, I did test several times with advies in different locations and skill levels, adjusting values as necessary.

While the intent is good, that's unfortunately worse than not doing anything. It is incredibly time intensive, but produces such a low data set that you can't draw any valuable conclusions from it.

Once again, I'll make the offer. Send me that single file for hunting & I'll walk you through a simple re-write of how you can make it testable, and some tools you can use to help speed up your work & ensure it is doing what you want it to. You can use as a template for anything else. I don't need access to anything else - you can PM me for my email if the forums don't allow attachments.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Fascinating, at least to me...

Being a former database programmer, I never delete anything. This is an email dated 9/23/2008, to the BattleMaster Developers List - BEFORE you were chosen as lead, Timothy, but while we were discussing who should be.

(These are the people with actual developer rights at the time)

Tom
Philippe Veillette (your old password, not the new one from War 2.0)
Szymon Trapp
J Madsen
squirrel (password comes by mail)

The letter from me:

I think a project of this sort that is lead by someone without a decent level of knowledge of the technologies involved, and some small experience in this type of project, is going to be a failure very quickly.

I realize we don't have a lot of volunteers springing forward, but I've worked for a fair number of "bad bosses" in my career, and working for one in my free time is not something I care to do. The project leader needs to be able to make some informed programming decisions early on that will affect everything we do, and will make or break the project.

It also requires someone who has the personality to get different programmers and their "egos" to work together as a team, or you will have angry coders quitting with chunks of half-finished, uncommented code sitting around on the server. Someone with a proven track record of getting along with people would be a good choice.

jeff