Author Topic: Greater Xavax Imperium  (Read 215206 times)

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Greater Xavax Imperium
« Reply #105: August 29, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
I'd like to really define the character of your typical Xavax for RP purposes.

I think Xavax is about duty and the fulfillment of oaths. The Imperium itself (as I defined it) exists to administer the lands of Greater Xavax and the subservient cities. I can't really think of another current realm that exists for a purpose beyond self-propagation. And that should be important to us, that we have an actual RP purpose and reality. Our values are duty foremost: I show this with my character's estate. It's being roleplayed as a hive of crime, smuggling, and villainy, but as long as the taxes are paid and the disturbances are under control it doesn't matter. The people are happy enough, his liege is happy the taxes come in, and that's it.

Also important to me when my character was judge was the fact that I wrote very few true laws beyond treason against the Imperium and subversion of the Xerarch. It gives everyone at every level room to roleplay themselves as approaching petty kings of their own estates. Everything else is a system of arbitrating disputes and grievances. So independence is a big value as well I'd say.

I find after the war when we rebuild the Phoenix will become more important. Right now I don't think we feel connected to it as a symbol of rebuilding after the other islands sank, the real experience of post-Quintuple Alliance war will reinforce it.

I'd say Xavax proper is lots of wood buildings from the fog and generally a wet, cool environment. The walls and few stone buildings require lots of maintenance from constant rains and erosion. I see a lot of steeples and moss, the harbour as sort of seedy, and a sort of disconnect between military and civilian sections of the city. Military districts have thicker smoke from smithies (military service is classified as an appropriate tax after all) and there are more stone buildings there which are constantly being rebuilt. The civilian areas have wooden buildings with high steeples, the buildings are lopsided from generally being soaked most of the time but if managed well don't rot and breakdown. Streets are rarely wide enough for anything bigger than a donkey cart and there are many alleyways and small paths. I'd also imagine small open market squares, but nothing like a distinct market or merchant district.

We hate Semall and Itorunt and love beer and tax collectors missing our homes. We respect fulfilling our word and not necessarily liars, but people skilled with their words. I wouldn't say deception is particularly frowned upon.