Author Topic: Modifying TMP Training Reductions  (Read 85001 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying TMP Training Reductions
« Reply #105: September 08, 2011, 12:57:37 AM »
I'm fairly certain that although you get TMP warnings in the winter, it does not have any actual penalties during the winter. (I think it's referred to as "Too Much Snow" or something...) Tim would probably be better to answer that, as he'd know where to look in the code.

It is perhaps worth looking at not how long you get from the first warnings until you start getting penalties, but also the magnitude of the penalties, and how quickly they build up.

I'm not so sure about that. That's what I first thought, since the text is different, but it really did feel like TMP was hitting last time I saw that message...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: September 08, 2011, 02:10:28 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. That's what I first thought, since the text is different, but it really did feel like TMP was hitting last time I saw that message...

The problem I have is how soon once winter is over does the affect of the TMP hit? The message implies you are already at the TMP level, do you need to be ready to fight the turn winter ends to avoid it?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dragon

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: September 11, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
The obvious conclusion of this thread is:
  • Less stick
    More carrot

I personally like many of the suggestions made. War is not easy. It is downright costly. Your ability to control your regions deteriorate as your lords are off fighting. Your unit expense rises doe to repairs and replacement. A system that helps mitigate some of these effects would encourage battles.

This. Seeing a "The people feel safe under the protection of you and your knights. Morale rises x%. Loyalty rises y%." in the daily region report if you have nice battles would probably do more to encourage fights than the current system.

Simple solutions like this. Provide incentives and it will work

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: September 11, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »
I am all for TMP and the damage it does to a realm of hippies. What I don't understand however is why a realm that is actively involved in a war should be fighting strategically useless battles just to avoid getting TMP penalties.

In Thalmarkin on BT we keep getting TMP messages during peace negotiations with Fronen. We have already taken everything we wanted/could and our duty in this war is now more or less to guard the eastern bridge. Last time it happened, we launched an attack on Jyl and had some fun looting, this time the negotiations have evolved, and while we're perfectly capable of finding some other battle, diplomatically it's not advisable in my opinion. Yet, unless we want our armies reduced to utter !@#$e we need to launch a new assault.

TMP is necessary to punish those few tree-huggers amongst us but please don't punish upstanding, warmongering realms who are not fighting battles due to a sensible, working strategy.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: September 12, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »
To be fair, Thalmarkin isn't really actively fighting. 2 skirmishes in the 18 days I've been there, and no fighting whatsoever for the last 10 days or so.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: September 12, 2011, 06:44:05 AM »
To be fair, Thalmarkin isn't really actively fighting. 2 skirmishes in the 18 days I've been there, and no fighting whatsoever for the last 10 days or so.

BattleMaster is not the game for mindless warfare, though, where you just keep on attacking your neighbour just because you can. There are other games, like War Islands, for that.

There are times for full-out war, and there are times for skirmishes. And even in full-out war, sometimes you are a little far away... I hate to see TMP in realms like Thalmarkin and Madina, it means that the code is really pushing for mindless all-out warfare.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: September 12, 2011, 06:50:31 AM »
BattleMaster is not the game for mindless warfare, though, where you just keep on attacking your neighbour just because you can. There are other games, like War Islands, for that.

There are times for full-out war, and there are times for skirmishes. And even in full-out war, sometimes you are a little far away... I hate to see TMP in realms like Thalmarkin and Madina, it means that the code is really pushing for mindless all-out warfare.

There is something more going on here though. Arcaea has not had a proper battle in more then 30 days, just tiny skirmishes against groups of monsters and undead, yet we do not have a TMP warning. Without far more information about the algorithm it is hard to say exactly what is going on, for example how long does the effect of a battle last? What is the weighting system with regards to the size of the battle?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: September 12, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »
There is something more going on here though. Arcaea has not had a proper battle in more then 30 days, just tiny skirmishes against groups of monsters and undead, yet we do not have a TMP warning. Without far more information about the algorithm it is hard to say exactly what is going on, for example how long does the effect of a battle last? What is the weighting system with regards to the size of the battle?

It honestly discourages  from putting gold in the bounty pot, as it has become prefferable to have the rogues spawn so that the armies can fight them than to avoid having them do a little temporary production damage as they spawn.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: September 12, 2011, 08:49:01 AM »
Now that you mention that, when was the last time D'Hara had some rogues spawning in her lands? Perhaps D'Hara needs to go bust up some Adventurers ;)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: September 12, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Now that you mention that, when was the last time D'Hara had some rogues spawning in her lands? Perhaps D'Hara needs to go bust up some Adventurers ;)

You've stumbled upon the 2nd secret agenda of TMP, to encourage some good old fashioned Adventurer bashing, no more of this wimpy cuddle the advies cause they are useful.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #115: September 12, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »
It honestly discourages  from putting gold in the bounty pot, as it has become prefferable to have the rogues spawn so that the armies can fight them than to avoid having them do a little temporary production damage as they spawn.

Absolutely.

If your Realm's leadership is so pathetic that they can't figure out how to get an entertaining war going, and they can't figure out how to send a few troops off to fight as mercenaries in someone else's war, and they can't figure out how to send a few troops off to have some Merry Adventure in the Wild Roguelands killing monsters and beasts, and they can't figure out how to help Blaze the Trail on some Colonial march, then:

Yes, you should probably not encourage adventurers in your realm.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: September 12, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
no bounty in lighthouse.. don't see any spawning there.
firefox

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #117: September 12, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
no bounty in lighthouse.. don't see any spawning there.

Regions spawn based on several different factors. They will eventually.

how long have you been tracking? Mind posting your data?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: September 12, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
..well.. lighthouse is rogue.. (since... when? no idea) so can't be that much bounty left if at all.

seeing as the only "battle" in the last 30 days in d'hara is the one where someone got defeated by monsters in Ulitsa this morning, of all places... it's obvious nothing has spawned near the lighthouse, or at least nothing has spawned and got noticed nor wandered into qubel.

i wouldn't rule out advy hunting everything in the lighthouse, seeing as there's at least 1 advy over to the east... but a bit more than not putting bounty in the pot would be needed i would imagine.
firefox

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #119: September 12, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »
..well.. lighthouse is rogue.. (since... when? no idea) so can't be that much bounty left if at all.

seeing as the only "battle" in the last 30 days in d'hara is the one where someone got defeated by monsters in Ulitsa this morning, of all places... it's obvious nothing has spawned near the lighthouse, or at least nothing has spawned and got noticed nor wandered into qubel.

i wouldn't rule out advy hunting everything in the lighthouse, seeing as there's at least 1 advy over to the east... but a bit more than not putting bounty in the pot would be needed i would imagine.

So, in other words...you're a little vague on what's going on in Lighthouse, and maybe it isn't a good example to use when making your case for or against TMP?