Author Topic: lord freedom  (Read 3349 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: lord freedom
« Topic Start: January 20, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
Was wondering how far your freedom goes as a local lord.
1.Can you be ordered to build a specific recruitment center or demolish one? What about shops.
2.Can you be ordered how high your taxes should go?
3.Can you be ordered not to organize a tournament?

As it has already been stated, there are no game OOC rules against any of these things.

However, for 1) people ordering this usually have good reasons and are usually willing to pay you for it. Recruitment centers are a local investment, but a realm resource. A realm's military capacities is largely dependent on its recruitment centers, so it's unsurprising when leaders want to manage this.

For 2), this is rarer, but I've seen it happen. Sometimes a lord sets it arbitrarily low, which 1) can mean for decreased realm wealth if he has a lot of knights and 2) can lead to discontent peasants in nearby regions if their taxes are higher.

For 3) well, if your realm is in the middle of a war, I could see the leadership not really wanting a tournament being held. Those cost a bunch, are unlikely to yield profits, and will disproportionately drain your own military capacity for its duration.

In all cases, though, you can resist orders, either directly (I will not do this!) or less directly (Oh I don't have the funds for this. Oh, oops, I didn't see your message in time). Be prepared to assume the consequences of your actions, though. "I think this recruitment center is actually widely used and we don't have the funds to gamble on a new one at this critical time" might fly better than "Go to hell, you lousy micro-manager, I'll do whatever I feel like!".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron