Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 555068 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #900: July 04, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »
No kidding.

The Darkan King has the nerve to preach to my face about how we need be "trustworthy" and stuff while Darkan banners still fly over Massillion. What a freaking insult.

And why you think Darka invaded Massilion? Could it be lack of trust? Could it be that Eston general was planning and organizing attack to Darka? Could it be that Eston ignored Darkas wish not to enter federation with their old war buddy?

Eston has ignored Darka for a long time, only time they remember that Darka exist is when they need something from it...

Again and again, Darka has put Eston over Talerium, Darkas another ally... And what we get from that? You yet again get new ally which you place above Darka. Makes me wonder WHY Darka needs to defend Eston... i guess only reason is that we dont want Coria or CE to be our neighbour. We have chosen less bad option... but who knows, wider border with Talerium could be nice :)

-Jaune

~Violence is always an option!~

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #901: July 04, 2012, 09:08:51 AM »
Again and again, Darka has put Eston over Talerium, Darkas another ally...  You yet again get new ally which you place above Darka.

Yikes. Be careful, Eston. Darka sounds like the jealous type...

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #902: July 04, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
No kidding.

The Darkan King has the nerve to preach to my face about how we need be "trustworthy" and stuff while Darkan banners still fly over Massillion. What a freaking insult.

So Massilion can have the same fate as Cantril?

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #903: July 04, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »
Cantril has been a region of Talerium for as long as I've been playing this game. So it's not a fair comparison.

Also, Eston was in a federation with BoM and Norland long before Darka attacked Masillion. Darka chose to attack Eston when Eston's allies were busy defending Falasan against CE. They took the Masillion duchy when they knew that they would get away with it, plain and simple.
------
qui audet vincit

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #904: July 04, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
Also, Eston was in a federation with BoM and Norland long before Darka attacked Masillion. Darka chose to attack Eston when Eston's allies were busy defending Falasan against CE. They took the Masillion duchy when they knew that they would get away with it, plain and simple.

As I was the ruler of Darka back then I can tell you we didn't give a damn what Estons allies were doing(well, apart from Talerium, but they were our ally as well). What we cared about was them plotting an attack against us. We just made the first move to knock some sense into Eston about not listening to Norland.

As a result Eston lost Malor, Tintar and Massillion. In the peace treaty they renounced any and all claim to those regions. In exchange Darka paid them a sizable amount of gold and helped them take Amriel, Barad Riel, Elost, Moramroth, Hernepoole, Ashmoor and I think even Belegrond. Eston could have had Brackhead too. We essentially offered them the entire Norland on a silver platter.

So forgive me about being tired of hearing poor Eston complaining about losing three regions when in return they gained two times what they lost. I fully consider Massillion duchy payment for mercenary services Darka gave Eston.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:51:42 PM by LilWolf »
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #905: July 04, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
How powerful is CE really?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #906: July 04, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
If the Rulers of Tara and the Cagilan Empire approached you with any deal that resulted in your current allies being hosed...Wouldn't you be skeptical anyway?  Such a deal would last precisely as long as they needed it to in order for the rest of the north to be beaten bloody, and then you would be in an even worse position.  You would have no leverage to make them keep the deal, and treaties on Atamara (and, to be fair, anywhere in Battlemaster and in the real world) are merely worth the paper they are written on if you have no leverage.  Why would the Rulers of those realms approaching you make you feel any safer?  The only consideration I would have is whether you think you have a better chance of stalling now in the hope that something in the war changes, or stalling later in the hope that something causes the bloc to break up before they find a reason to smash you at their leisure.  Who does the offering is immaterial, because you wouldn't be in a position to hold them to their word no matter what they said.

The alliance with Coria vs CE or Tara is similarly meaningless.  Realms can, have, and will make "alliances" with people they fully intend to annihilate as soon as some condition has been fulfilled.

I didn't say I'd consider taking the deal. I was just pointing out the fallacy of negotiating certain types of agreements with Dukes instead of Rulers. I think it's excellent diplomacy to speak with enemy Dukes - build a rapport and if things start going badly for their realm they can become quite tractable...

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #907: July 04, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »
How powerful is CE really?

As powerful as they are perceived to be. Perception is reality.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #908: July 04, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
As powerful as they are perceived to be. Perception is reality.

There's something quite solid backing up that perception though. They have rock-solid alliances with their neighbors, one of whom happens to be Tara, and lets not forget that they're easily the wealthiest and most populous realm on the island. They stop all the statistics charts easily.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #909: July 04, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »
There's something quite solid backing up that perception though. They have rock-solid alliances with their neighbors, one of whom happens to be Tara, and lets not forget that they're easily the wealthiest and most populous realm on the island. They stop all the statistics charts easily.

Yes. I'm not saying the perceptions are unfounded.

egamma

« Reply #910: July 04, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »
They also have an excellent General who is able to command multiple armies. And excellent marshals for those armies as well.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #911: July 04, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »

They don't top the relative military strength though. Coria has traditionally held that spot for most of the war, switching off and on with Hammarsett.

But yes, they are quite strong, and can back up their strength with the solid General who is crazy active.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #912: July 04, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
Crazy active, or just plain crazy good? 8)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #913: July 04, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
Crazy active, or just plain crazy good? 8)

Good, AND crazy active. Although I'm not sure about crazy good.

He is General of CE, and Marshal of Coria's army. He not only converts CE's large resources into success, but makes my job as General incredibly easy in Coria. I pretty much just determine the overall grand strategy of the war, and let him control every day-to-day action of the army. While I know this is the intent of the General-Marshal relationship, it isn't always so when there is only one realm army. But, it'd be foolish for me to micromanage more when I don't have the time he does to lead the troops and make orders come out early every turn as they are needed.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #914: July 05, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »
I'm probably in the top 5% to 10% percentile in terms of activity, but I wouldn't call that "crazy" active. If you're holding multiple council positions and are not slacking off, you probably spend as much time in BM as I do, if not more. Sometimes I log in with my Dwilight character and see 100+ messages from the 'moot, all from three or four nobles. So I know I'm not the most BM-obsessed player out there.  :o

I'd like to think that I make efficient use of my time in BM.

And yes, having great Marshals help tremendously when you're playing General.
------
qui audet vincit