Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 556497 times)

Lady De La Coeur

Re: The Current War
« Reply #1080: August 18, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
This war really makes a mercenary realm obsolete, so as a member of Darka, I really think you should all make peace, then maybe have a smaller war that someone can buy our services for.

Second option would be for us to cancel all alliances and sit at home unless someone pays us to fight.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081: August 18, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
This war really makes a mercenary realm obsolete, so as a member of Darka, I really think you should all make peace, then maybe have a smaller war that someone can buy our services for.

Second option would be for us to cancel all alliances and sit at home unless someone pays us to fight.

Not really. If Darka switched sides for money, the Northern Alliance would !@#$ their pants. The stalemate would be gone, and the NA would crumple, with Hammarsett dying pretty soon after the switch.

KK, though, thinks for some reason we should be mercenaries in every war except this one? Some BS about CE having their tentacles in too many barrels of wine.  :P

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082: August 18, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
Not really. If Darka switched sides for money, the Northern Alliance would !@#$ their pants. The stalemate would be gone, and the NA would crumple, with Hammarsett dying pretty soon after the switch.

KK, though, thinks for some reason we should be mercenaries in every war except this one? Some BS about CE having their tentacles in too many barrels of wine.  :P

Dude, nobody likes tentacle wine.

Lady De La Coeur

« Reply #1083: August 18, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
We are a mercenary realm, we should be Neutral to everyone and motivated only by self interest.  Pay us enough money and we should drink that wine tentacles or not!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084: August 18, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
That's a nice sentiment, but unpractical. While we could act like that (and inquiries have been made of us), you can't afford to piss off your neighbors and still expect them to let you march armies through their land. They will eventually strike when you are otherwise occupied.

It takes a lot of diplomacy to be a mercenary realm. You have to prevent too many people from getting angry with you.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085: August 18, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
That's a nice sentiment, but unpractical. While we could act like that (and inquiries have been made of us), you can't afford to piss off your neighbors and still expect them to let you march armies through their land. They will eventually strike when you are otherwise occupied.

It takes a lot of diplomacy to be a mercenary realm. You have to prevent too many people from getting angry with you.

Piss off our neighbors? You mean like we kind of have been pissing off Talerium this whole war?

I am not saying we don't switch sides without conditions. That can be part of the mercenary business... Such as 'destroy Eston and replace the realm with a realm that will sign a border treaty with us so that we can be mercenaries again'.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086: August 18, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
We haven't pissed off Talerium. I bet they get a laugh out of all the Darkan newbies that get skirmished in Cantril.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087: August 18, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
We haven't pissed off Talerium. I bet they get a laugh out of all the Darkan newbies that get skirmished in Cantril.

Have you ever known a Tezokian to laugh? I haven't.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088: August 18, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

Kostaja's just not greedy enough. Y'all should replace him wiht someone. I mean cmon, how much gold does he even need to take a contract? I know the contracts you used to take certainly weren't as high as the offer I sent recently. He won't even take a bribe. What kind of mercenary realm has a King who won't take a bribe?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089: August 18, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Kostaja's just not greedy enough. Y'all should replace him wiht someone. I mean cmon, how much gold does he even need to take a contract? I know the contracts you used to take certainly weren't as high as the offer I sent recently. He won't even take a bribe. What kind of mercenary realm has a King who won't take a bribe?

+1

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090: August 18, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »
It's a mercenary realm that acknowledges the realities of politics. If Darka took every contract that was offered to betray their current ally, whoever that may be, they would quickly end up ostracised and ganged up on, and for good reason. KK is smart enough to know that. And so are you. So you don't want a greedier Darkan king, you want a dumber one. But for the record, no one in the king's council was willing to consider your offer. Darka just isn't a realm willing to sell its friends short.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091: August 18, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »
It's a mercenary realm that acknowledges the realities of politics. If Darka took every contract that was offered to betray their current ally, whoever that may be, they would quickly end up ostracised and ganged up on, and for good reason. KK is smart enough to know that. And so are you. So you don't want a greedier Darkan king, you want a dumber one. But for the record, no one in the king's council was willing to consider your offer. Darka just isn't a realm willing to sell its friends short.

Also true. I feel like Darka can be a little riskier, but I understand why we aren't being riskier.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092: August 19, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
Also true. I feel like Darka can be a little riskier, but I understand why we aren't being riskier.

You could argue this around in circles all day, for every realm on Atamara. It is the reason why Atamara is the way it is.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093: August 19, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »
You could argue this around in circles all day, for every realm on Atamara. It is the reason why Atamara is the way it is.

True, but I am in Darka and they are a freaking mercenary realm! If anyone is going to be risky and unpredictable, it is the mercenaries.

Eirikr

« Reply #1094: August 19, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »
Soon enough. Sadly I've had spotty internet for the last week or so. But I'll just blame Perth for nothing happening. I mean cmon he's managed to secure more of hammards lands in a week than I have in the entire war.

I'm wooooooooorking on it. Let's just say it's not Eston, Coria, or even Hammarsett that is slowing down things.

Hell, if Darka just didn't do anything for two weeks, Hammarsett would roll over and die, Minas Ithil would hide in their capital and the Barony would just walk through Eston and Talerium to go loot CE.