Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 555790 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #1095: August 19, 2012, 02:10:39 AM »
It's a mercenary realm that acknowledges the realities of politics. If Darka took every contract that was offered to betray their current ally, whoever that may be, they would quickly end up ostracised and ganged up on, and for good reason. KK is smart enough to know that. And so are you. So you don't want a greedier Darkan king, you want a dumber one. But for the record, no one in the king's council was willing to consider your offer. Darka just isn't a realm willing to sell its friends short.

You want political realities?

Here's one: No one in the Northern Alliance will offer Darka a contract because they are already fighting for the Northern Alliance. The only people who would offer Darka a contract are in the Central Alliance and their contract would only be against members of the Northern Alliance. The Southern tri-fecta are too busy looking at each other crossways and trying to stab each other in the back more often than the Lurians than to offer a contract to Darka and Darka is too far away anyway to even make that worth it.

So, if you want to ever be a mercenary realm (again) you either have to:

1. End this war.
2. Change up what the current sides are (which coincidentally is being slowed down by Kostaja....)
3. Or take a contract with a realm from the central alliance.

If you don't want to take one of those three, then I really don't think you have any right to complain about the current state of events. It's not like you're going to win the war against the central alliance militarily at this point. Y'all took down our city walls from lvl 5 to lvl 2 in a matter of days and within 10 days they were back to level 5 again without even denting Coria's reserve funds. I also know this heavily hurt Hammarsett's ability to keep up a strong army. If Hammarsett loses their full army even once more they will likely have a large problem trying to rebuild it without cutting into their militia.

So, if you really want to find something new and not betray your allies, I'd suggest having Kostaja and Aldarion put their heads together. Plan a little fake skirmishing on your border with Talerium for just two weeks and the Hammarsett problem is over and done with.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096: August 19, 2012, 02:43:56 AM »
Believe it or not, I agree with your assessment of how things are going. But Darka isn't looking for a contract right now. Especially one that requires us to essentially betray an ally. We aren't in this one for the gold. It's a political war.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #1097: August 19, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »

Here's one: No one in the Northern Alliance will offer Darka a contract because they are already fighting for the Northern Alliance. The only people who would offer Darka a contract are in the Central Alliance and their contract would only be against members of the Northern Alliance. The Southern tri-fecta are too busy looking at each other crossways and trying to stab each other in the back more often than the Lurians than to offer a contract to Darka and Darka is too far away anyway to even make that worth it.

So, if you want to ever be a mercenary realm (again) you either have to:

1. End this war.
2. Change up what the current sides are (which coincidentally is being slowed down by Kostaja....)
3. Or take a contract with a realm from the central alliance.

If you don't want to take one of those three, then I really don't think you have any right to complain about the current state of events. It's not like you're going to win the war against the central alliance militarily at this point. Y'all took down our city walls from lvl 5 to lvl 2 in a matter of days and within 10 days they were back to level 5 again without even denting Coria's reserve funds. I also know this heavily hurt Hammarsett's ability to keep up a strong army. If Hammarsett loses their full army even once more they will likely have a large problem trying to rebuild it without cutting into their militia.

So, if you really want to find something new and not betray your allies, I'd suggest having Kostaja and Aldarion put their heads together. Plan a little fake skirmishing on your border with Talerium for just two weeks and the Hammarsett problem is over and done with.

There is an option number four which is better and funnier.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098: August 19, 2012, 02:54:32 AM »
There is an option number four which is better and funnier.

Implode? Give Talerium or Eston all your lands and join Coria? Take a 2 week break in your capitol for a constant festival? Pretty much all of these get the job done.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099: August 19, 2012, 03:07:07 AM »
It's even more fun that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100: August 19, 2012, 06:28:35 AM »
4. Win the war.

Good to see you again, Skairxon. :D
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101: August 19, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »

Here's one: No one in the Northern Alliance will offer Darka a contract

Not true. I basically told Kostaja to name his price to either attack Talerium and/or support the Kerwin/Merlin treaty proposal and he politely turned me down like I was trying to sell him fruit on the side of the road.  :-\

EDIT: Basically Darka has gone from brutal mercenary realm to Eddard Stark-never-betray-an-ally Honor realm in one war. I mean, I'm not complaining if people have been trying to turn them on Eston, as I'm sure some have, but it's still crazy to me the switch!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:14:21 AM by Perth »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102: August 19, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »
Not true. I basically told Kostaja to name his price to either attack Talerium and/or support the Kerwin/Merlin treaty proposal and he politely turned me down like I was trying to sell him fruit on the side of the road.  :-\

EDIT: Basically Darka has gone from brutal mercenary realm to Eddard Stark-never-betray-an-ally Honor realm in one war. I mean, I'm not complaining if people have been trying to turn them on Eston, as I'm sure some have, but it's still crazy to me the switch!

Maybe you should offer them a duchy of Eston. I hear they like that more than other contracts.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103: August 19, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »
Maybe you should offer them a duchy of Eston. I hear they like that more than other contracts.

...I said I told him to "name his price" didn't I?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104: August 19, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
I guess....

Perhaps I just get the feeling that Kostaja only knows what end of the sword to stick at your enemy and not much else. He never really responds much to my character. So either that makes him really really smart, or just dumb.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105: August 19, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Perhaps I just get the feeling that Kostaja only knows what end of the sword to stick at your enemy and not much else. He never really responds much to my character. So either that makes him really really smart, or just dumb.

I know that feel, bro.

He's a freaking enigma! I can't get a read on him! It's always just "Good day! Doop, dedoop, doo!"

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #1106: August 19, 2012, 09:24:21 AM »
He !@#$s with your minds cause this is how he rolls.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107: August 19, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
He !@#$s with your minds cause this is how he rolls.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kostaja never got any of my letters but instead Indirik intercepted them all and burned them after laughing at them with his drinking buddies (ie. the NA generals)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108: August 19, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »
Ah, i have had a busy week, been on vacation and shoveled poop like there would be no tomorrow... but tomorrow comes and back to work.

Soo, reason why this is not time to sell out friends is... we are going very short on friends here at NA.

Every time when coalition member does its own magic on diplomatic front, it causes drama and trouble. Coalition and alliance means that we fight together, we win together, we lose together and most of all... we negotiate together.

~Violence is always an option!~

Eirikr

« Reply #1109: August 19, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »
I know that feel, bro.

He's a freaking enigma! I can't get a read on him! It's always just "Good day! Doop, dedoop, doo!"

Ever since seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I read KK's letters in Bane's voice. It's much more entertaining.