Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 553208 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #1260: September 12, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
The other bad thing about this is that although this long war may wind down, the island is still incredibly polarized and the "all-in" mentality of the alliance system is so ingrained.

I find it hard to foresee any wars in the near future not essentially just erupting along the same lines again. Which... would bode poorly for the North at this point, of course.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261: September 12, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
The other bad thing about this is that although this long war may wind down, the island is still incredibly polarized and the "all-in" mentality of the alliance system is so ingrained.

I find it hard to foresee any wars in the near future not essentially just erupting along the same lines again. Which... would bode poorly for the North at this point, of course.

BOOOOORRRRRRINNNGGGGG

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262: September 12, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
I feel tempted just order Darkan troops home and we will play monopoly at home and wait if someone attacks us some day.
~Violence is always an option!~

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263: September 12, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
BOOOOORRRRRRINNNGGGGG

Yeah.

The worst part is everyone knows this. And agrees its boring. Everyone agrees it should be changed. Everyone agrees there need to be some shake ups. Oh well....
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264: September 12, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
What's really sad is that this war was an effort to do just that. I dunno, maybe some of the players on the other side are still enjoying it, but it stopped being fun for me a long time ago. Actually, it never really was that much fun after the first month or two to be honest, I just had hopes that it would shake things up. Which it didn't, really. And now it's just going on and on and on and on...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265: September 12, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
What's really sad is that this war was an effort to do just that. I dunno, maybe some of the players on the other side are still enjoying it, but it stopped being fun for me a long time ago. Actually, it never really was that much fun after the first month or two to be honest, I just had hopes that it would shake things up. Which it didn't, really. And now it's just going on and on and on and on...

Maybe if we just let CE hegemonize the entire continent, they'll get so bored, they'll commit suicide.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266: September 12, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
Sounds good to me.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267: September 12, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Yeah.

The worst part is everyone in the north knows this. And everyone in the north agrees its boring. Everyone in the north agrees it should be changed. Everyone in the north agrees there need to be some shake ups. Oh well....

Fixed that for you. Those of us in the south are looking forward to loot and pillage in the north for a change. The north got to loot in the south for nearly two years. Now it's our turn.

Can we quit now? I give up. Really. Let's just call this one finished, and move on to the next big thing.

Haha. Ahahahaha. No.
------
qui audet vincit

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268: September 12, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
Can we quit now? I give up. Really. Let's just call this one finished, and move on to the next big thing.

Haha. Ahahahaha. No.

lmao... just like you try to kill an epic boss (CE) and when your tank (Hammarsett) is dead and you try to run, the boss roots you (in Cantril) and keeps attacking and your friends(MI) are half-dead due to nasty AoE damage of the boss. I can understand how you feel. All the fun from game is gone  :'(

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269: September 12, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

So lets number the realms:
1 Eston
2 Talerium
3 Cagilan Empire
4 Darka
5 Barony of Makar
6 Tara
7 Minas Ithil
8 Carelia
9 Caergoth
10 Suville
11 Coria
12 Hammarsett
13 Strombran
14 Minas Leon

Now click the link to roll a random number between 1 and 14 and that's your new realm!
http://www.random.org/integers/?num=1&min=1&max=14&col=5&base=10&format=html&rnd=new

I rolled a 2

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270: September 12, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Fixed that for you. Those of us in the south are looking forward to loot and pillage in the north for a change. The north got to loot in the south for nearly two years. Now it's our turn.

Umm... what?

CE and Co. have destroyed like 3 or 4 realms consecutively in the past few years...

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271: September 12, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »
Ewwwww i got carelia!

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272: September 12, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »
lmao... just like you try to kill an epic boss (CE) and when your tank (Hammarsett) is dead and you try to run, the boss roots you (in Cantril) and keeps attacking and your friends(MI) are half-dead due to nasty AoE damage of the boss. I can understand how you feel. All the fun from game is gone  :'(

Lineage?

Now click the link to roll a random number between 1 and 14 and that's your new realm!
http://www.random.org/integers/?num=1&min=1&max=14&col=5&base=10&format=html&rnd=new

I rolled a 2

I rolled 8 (2 times consecutively) ..so i stay on Carelia? darn it!, i always wanted to spam Darka!

Ewwwww i got carelia!

STAY AWAY!

We have plenty of nobles already, the cakes is not for everyone!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:14:17 PM by Sonya »

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273: September 12, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »
I find this really really interesting. Mainly because of the way that some people perceive this issue.

1. I think nearly everyone agrees that Atamara is incredibly polarized. For better or worse, that is how it is. There are those that would like to change it up, but game mechanics also make that difficult. (Peasantry upset about certain alliances/wars)

2. The North for all intents and purposes has been the one with the ability to actually have fun in this war for the longest time. The Central Alliance, but especially Coria, has been the one ceaselessly looted this entire time, and constantly fighting a defensive war. We still hold less regions now than we did at the beginning of the war. Meanwhile, most of the North is largely untouched. With the exception of MI, the lands of the north are pristine, they haven't been looted, they haven't been taken over or forced rogue, they have essentially received no damage as the war has been completely offensive or deadlocked this entire time.

3. The North now sees this war as no longer fun, but frankly it has been the Central Alliance who hasn't been on the fun side for the majority of the war. Looting and taking over regions is fun. Fending off ceaseless attacks without being able to retaliate is not as fun. So while the North no longer finds it fun, there are many in the Central Alliance looking forward to getting to actually fight an aggressive war.

4. IF the Central Alliance gets to fight an aggressive war, I fully expect many IC and OOC complaints to arise about it even further than we have now. But, in a sense this attitude is highly biased. This war for the North has primarily been a pseudo fight between the Northern Alliance and CE/Tara while each used their allies as the main battlegrounds. Without any threat to either side's central strength, this war really hasn't and won't accomplish anything for either side.

5. Right now, the war is no longer in a stalemate. Quite frankly the Central Alliance is winning, and can easily push forward now and actually WIN something if they want. Now it may surprise those in the north, but the central alliance pushing further into the North is actually meant to disrupt the polar nature of Atamara, just not in the way that the North wants.

6. This war would only succeed to fulfill the North's purposes of solving the polarized nature of the continent and humbling CE if they had actually won. After the first few months, and most assuredly after the fall of Carelia and the treaty with Coria by the North, that this was no longer able to be accomplished. The best option would have been for the North to simply stop hostilities at that point, but they persisted hoping that they could break the stalemate.

7. I think many here are going about things all wrong. This is an issue that affects everyone, but it is something which each realm has to individually start to change. The "gangbang mentality" is built up since each time someone starts a war they always want to gain as many allies as possible. But if they simply only fought alone, then their opponent would have no reason to bring in all their allies. In fact, people should start to expect their allies to stand up on their own and only intervene if they are getting ganged up on and for good reasons, instead of if they are just losing.

8. I truly think the only way that this problem though is solved in the long-run is if the CE/Tara federation splits. They are too strong on their own and they are essentially untouchable due to all of their buffer realms. Only if CE and Tara are no longer considered as a single realm for military conflict can anything ever improve. The mistake the North made in combination with the south of Carelia/Suville/Caergoth, was that they sought to simply beat and destroy CE/Tara. Of course they will bring in all their allies when outnumbered as we were at the beginning. But, if the wars were simply over borders or other stuff, and not meant as "kill or be killed" the mentality would change and we'd reduce the polarity of the situation.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274: September 13, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »
Everything that needed to be said has just been said more or less in a nut shell (big shell at that).

So when do we get to enjoy the cookies in the north?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)