Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 555380 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #1590: January 18, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
This is interesting, and it seems a lot of people have some animosity towards Kerwin for one reason or another. It is truly interesting both from a historical aspect of the game and also for me personally as a player because I honestly only ever made decisions that I thought would be best for Eston, the North, and our cause (for what it's worth).

I'm not going to do it now, but this tomorrow or this weekend I will post here a sizable summary of Kerwin's decisions during the war, why he made them, and why I as a player made them.

I can summarize:
1. Kerwin asks the Council which option they want.
2. Council yells at him and rejects all ideas
3. Council tells him to attack allies
4. Kerwin calms them all down
5. Council votes on the issue
6. Kerwin proceeds with the agreed upon idea
7. Council yells at him for doing what they asked him to do.

This pretty much is what happened over the last 2.5 years.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591: January 18, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »
Yes. And that was because I, as a player, went travelling around South-East Asia for four months and paused my characters. To suggest Saeculo 'lost his position and was replaced' for trying to justify an excursion down South is ludicris at best. If I hadn't gone travelling, Saeculo would probably still be Consul right now.

I don't really recall the incident, but I believe the reasoning behind it is that you couldn't disprove it. No-one called Saeculo a liar at the time. If they had, he would have challanged them to a duel. Nobility didn't just accuse nobility of lying very lightly.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure this 'excuse' was talked about within the Senate, or at least with Merlin.

Besides, it was Hammarsett that broke their treaty with us, not the other way around. They did so by using our lands to attack Tara, we helped Tara and it was THIS that Hammarsett used as it's reasoning for War, not because Coria was marching South.

As an OOC note, I truly tried to play Saeculo as an honest and noble character, but the politics and bias was just unbelievable, and by the end Saeculo was getting fed up of trying for nothing.

The excuse was that you were sending an army south to "visit relatives". That is verbatim the language used (though of course you didn't call it an army).

As for Hammarsett, your shenanigans factored into the decision, even if I didn't cite it as the reason we declared war. In the end I didn't much care about our casus belli - honestly I don't even remember exactly what reason I gave. I had my reasons for going to war that were good enough for me, and that's all that mattered. My allies were behind me, so I didn't really feel that I had to justify myself to everyone else.

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592: January 18, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
The excuse was that you were sending an army south to "visit relatives". That is verbatim the language used (though of course you didn't call it an army).

As for Hammarsett, your shenanigans factored into the decision, even if I didn't cite it as the reason we declared war. In the end I didn't much care about our casus belli - honestly I don't even remember exactly what reason I gave. I had my reasons for going to war that were good enough for me, and that's all that mattered. My allies were behind me, so I didn't really feel that I had to justify myself to everyone else.

Indeed, and after you attacked Coria twice by surprise, without previously declaring War, then we knew we could never trust Hammarsett ever again. At that point, Saeculo wouldn't rest until you were destroyed, which is a shame, as Coria helped to found and support Hammarsett in the early days, and you had a cool culture on our borders. As a player I didn't want it to happen, but obviously as a character I was delighted to see the downfall of Hammarsett.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593: January 18, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
I can summarize:
1. Kerwin asks the Council which option they want.
2. Council yells at him and rejects all ideas
3. Council tells him to attack allies
4. Kerwin calms them all down
5. Council votes on the issue
6. Kerwin proceeds with the agreed upon idea
7. Council yells at him for doing what they asked him to do.

This pretty much is what happened over the last 2.5 years.

8. The dissenters secede
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594: January 18, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »
I'd love to see this go on the wiki so the history isn't lost.

The Great Atamaran War

There's a bare bones wiki page set-up by Capet in 2011. I fleshed it out a little with bits I knew about the south and Carelia's involvement in the early part of the war, but I've been paused on Atamara for about 18 months now. It's kind of hazy and not at all up-to-date.

It would be cool if others could contribute or start updating realm histories. There's hardly anything on the wiki about what's been going on in Atamara these last few years. A real shame considering the whole war has generated so much interest here on the forum!

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595: January 18, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
Indeed, and after you attacked Coria twice by surprise, without previously declaring War, then we knew we could never trust Hammarsett ever again. At that point, Saeculo wouldn't rest until you were destroyed, which is a shame, as Coria helped to found and support Hammarsett in the early days, and you had a cool culture on our borders. As a player I didn't want it to happen, but obviously as a character I was delighted to see the downfall of Hammarsett.

Meh, I knew I was signing what could well be Hammarsett's death warrant at the time. I don't regret it, and you shouldn't either.

IC, Coria's bitterness is entirely understandable. We were not very good neighbors.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596: January 18, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »
8. The dissenters secede
Small correction:
8. The dissenters, who demanded Kerwin attack Darka, secede, and among their reasons for succession was that Kerwin entertained the idea of attacking Darka.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597: January 18, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
Small correction:
8. The dissenters, who demanded Kerwin attack Darka, secede, and among their reasons for succession was that Kerwin entertained the idea of attacking Darka.

+1

And because he wouldn't step aside so another golden-oldier player with little IC interaction could become king again. Which was a particularly frustrating conversation.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598: January 18, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
I think this would honestly be interesting if every war participant posted something similar at the very end of this war.

That sounds very interesting.

I concur. We really should all take a look at that wiki page and try to record what we can remember about the course of the war.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599: January 18, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »
The Great Atamaran War

There's a bare bones wiki page set-up by Capet in 2011. I fleshed it out a little with bits I knew about the south and Carelia's involvement in the early part of the war, but I've been paused on Atamara for about 18 months now. It's kind of hazy and not at all up-to-date.

It would be cool if others could contribute or start updating realm histories. There's hardly anything on the wiki about what's been going on in Atamara these last few years. A real shame considering the whole war has generated so much interest here on the forum!

Just a typo in your link: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/The_Great_Atamaran_War

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600: January 18, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
I added: Background (A Northern Perspective)
I'll keep adding to it when I have some more time.  As you'll see, the reasons the war was started (Coira was bored and asked around for someone to attacked) is a bit different than what's there now).  Let's try to capture all the perspectives.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601: January 18, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »
I wrote the section for "The War in the North."

It should be accurate as far as high level summaries go. It is based on what I remember about the course of the conflict. I fought for Hammarsett during the entire duration of the war until Hammarsett's surrender. I leave it to others to document the inception of the war, as I was only Hammarsett's banker at the time and knew very little of the discussions between rulers.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602: January 20, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Honestly.... Most of these post are tl:dr, and are not that relevant as the issues have repetitively come up over and over.

How about we talk about the destruction of Eston or the who's next?

Event about how the Central alliance have once again over come and are on a war path?

Is Darka shaking in it's boots? Is Kewin soon to be put to death by his own people? Does BoM and it's lich king await their doom with a smile?

I mean the North is running red is it not?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Eirikr

« Reply #1603: January 20, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »
I mean the North is running red is it not?

Colors are hard to see in the Barony with all the white.

Honestly, I think the upper half of Atamara is just waiting for Eston's terms to be given so there's at least some idea of how the map will have changed.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604: January 20, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
Colors are hard to see in the Barony with all the white.

Honestly, I think the upper half of Atamara is just waiting for Eston's terms to be given so there's at least some idea of how the map will have changed.

You're assuming that with Eston's surrender this war ends?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela