Author Topic: Roleplaying Realms  (Read 11365 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Roleplaying Realms
« Reply #15: July 18, 2011, 02:22:33 AM »
Just saying that merely holding "they are elves" to be the critical factor that makes Sirion fail the "SMA check" is a bit flimsy. There is a thread about what makes SMA as well, but in short, I don't think SMA is so inflexible as to say that the mere existence of other sentient lifeforms makes something non-SMA, as seems to have been suggested by the post against Sirion being SMA. Speaking from experience, the elves thing isn't a big deal. The only time it ever gets in the least distracting is when Erik Eyolf Serpentis and/or Durion Serpentis writes some plus-5000 character roleplay that then gets cut into multiple messages sent to the entire realm all about him basically saying "I'm awesome lol". And that's only because he's an elf apparently, so if he were human, it might be just as annoying and dumb, but...not something you'd take particular notice to. Not sure if people even take notice now either.

But yeah, that's about all there is about elves. Not much roleplay actually revolves so much around them being elves and doing elvish stuff, or so I've seen at least. So in terms of SMA, I'd say Sirion's actually a pretty good EC candidate.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 18, 2011, 02:27:51 AM »
Just saying that merely holding "they are elves" to be the critical factor that makes Sirion fail the "SMA check" is a bit flimsy. There is a thread about what makes SMA as well, but in short, I don't think SMA is so inflexible as to say that the mere existence of other sentient lifeforms makes something non-SMA, as seems to have been suggested by the post against Sirion being SMA. Speaking from experience, the elves thing isn't a big deal. The only time it ever gets in the least distracting is when Erik Eyolf Serpentis and/or Durion Serpentis writes some plus-5000 character roleplay that then gets cut into multiple messages sent to the entire realm all about him basically saying "I'm awesome lol". And that's only because he's an elf apparently, so if he were human, it might be just as annoying and dumb, but...not something you'd take particular notice to. Not sure if people even take notice now either.

But yeah, that's about all there is about elves. Not much roleplay actually revolves so much around them being elves and doing elvish stuff, or so I've seen at least. So in terms of SMA, I'd say Sirion's actually a pretty good EC candidate.

The most I've ever seen the topic of elves come up in RP or messages, is by families that have left Sirion and who want to publicise their elf credentials.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 18, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »

Fair enough!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 18, 2011, 07:23:17 AM »
The Zuma.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: July 18, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 19, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
I understand the no non-humans rule and I can live with it. But sometimes, I just want to play Nubliglub.  ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 19, 2011, 01:02:54 AM »
I understand the no non-humans rule and I can live with it. But sometimes, I just want to play Nubliglub.  ;D

An undead (as in, re-animated human) is the only fantasy thing I've ever cared for playing. Giving back a second life to an epic character makes him that much more epic, imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 21, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »
So.... any other realms of just Sirion?

Regarding SMA and Undead/Daimons/Monsters:

Think of it this way:

Monsters are Giant Wolves, Bears, other animals that seem to have a taste for human flesh. They existed. And all these heraldic beasts we see, which people thought were real or had seen.  Just because we know there is no such thing as a Hippogriff, in the medieval world they didnt know, (Medieval I am using would be a decade or two after the fall of the Western Roman Empire - when basically all Civilization had been destroyed and Barbarians were running rampart!), someone claimed to see one and people thought it was real.

The Monsters of the Dark Ages were real to the people of the time.

Undead? Plenty of fear and scaremongering about Undead, even up to the Renaissance and afterwards. (Heck technically it isnt impossible either - all those Zombie films *could* turn out to happen one day with our advances in Technology and Medicine and Dirty Warfare! As for Vampires, plenty of people have an allergic reaction to sunlight, its a medical condition called photosensitivity. There is also a "lifestyle", as some idiots have called it, called Vampyrism where they people call themselves Vampyres and split themselves into three general groups: Sanguine, Pyschric, Hybrid. The First and third actually do drink blood. The second and third use Psychic Draining. A Hybrid does both ofc.) What else.... a Stake through he heart? Pretty sure that will kill anyone. Beheading? Same. Garlic, Crosses etc? Hollywood bullcrap. Although some Satanists from the Satanist Church claims that beholding a Cross or actually holding one hurts them, all in there head if you ask me. Note that The Church of Satan has never made such a claim. (Yes they are two different churches) and someone somewhere must be allergic to garlic!)

This leads to Daimons... ask Daemons. Or Judeo-Christo Demons, Devils. Please  note I make a very clear division between Fallan Angels (Demons and Devils) and Daimons/Daemons.
In my opinion, the Daimons are more related to pagan Daimons than Judeo-Christo Demons. IE: Not necessarily demonic, anti-god, malevont, turn you to the dark side and more Something old beyond words, of all shapes and sizes, some are Malevont, some are good, etc etc. Another word for Spirits. Infact if you played DA:Origins, then the Fade Demons and Spirits I would say is more related to BM Daimons (at least on Dwili) than the Judeo-Christo version.
Medieval times: Demonic Position was BIG. Inquisitors, Exorcists, Templars, Heretics, Witches, Warlocks, Saracens, Muslims, Heathens, Pagans, Jews...... The first two obviously root out 'Demonic influence' that was in all things to do with the everything after Exorcists.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 21, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
BattleMaster is a team-oriented browsergame merging strategy and roleplaying. It is set in a low-fantasy middle-ages world and players take the role of nobles and lords.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #24: July 21, 2011, 04:01:06 PM »
The fantasy part is quite important. I'm pretty sure we were never intended to be an online Medieval Reenactment Troupe.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 22, 2011, 12:55:53 AM »
Who are we to say that knights did not actually go slay dragons as they said they did, back in medieval europe?  8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #26: July 22, 2011, 01:12:03 AM »
The list of modern cryptids is still impressive. Besides, even for "real" species, most biologists believe that there remains a large number of undiscovered species in places like the Amazon Rainforest, or the African jungles, or various underwater murky depths, or wherever else there is little human interaction.

egamma

« Reply #27: July 22, 2011, 02:18:03 AM »
Who are we to say that knights did not actually go slay dragons as they said they did, back in medieval europe?  8)

That would explain why they are extinct!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 22, 2011, 02:18:50 AM »
That would explain why they are extinct!

qft  8)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #29: July 22, 2011, 02:28:01 AM »
No remains. Even dinosaurs left bones. I don't think all humans who slew dragons managed to dissolve all the remains in corrosive substances. That, or dragons combust upon death.