Author Topic: Archer targeting  (Read 25959 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Archer targeting
« Reply #45: August 03, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
And once again you either fail to understand what I'm saying or purposefully make stuff up about me.

One of my first actions as a player in this game was a young player in Tara when we and Cagil built the alliance that would later dominate the Atamaran continent.  I saw some rather amazing battles there.  But even then, Cagil rarely sent out more than 20k at a time.  We had another 5 or 6k.  Maybe 10k in Foda.  The entire alliance may have approached 40k marching strength when we brought soap and water to the screaming goatworshipers not long after.  But I don't remember us being any larger than that.  And later on, at the height of Tara's power in the end days of Atamara as I and others were tearing down the alliance we'd built and starting the largest civil war in the bloody game, we still didn't go past 20k in size.

I remember seeing reports or rumors of 50k armies on some continents and just shaking my head.  That's just not a size that is generally supportable.

Beluaterra and Dwilight realms have rarely gone much over 20k or so in deployable army sizes.  Usually once a nation gets big enough to support anything over that, they generally split into two nations because some rich duke wants more or the realm is so spread out they can't hold it all.  It's just the way things work.  On the continents I've played on of course.

The war islands get rather interesting, but I haven't played on them for a long time.  I prefer role playing and politics to straight up powergaming and such.

As for your continued untrue statements about me.

I obviously don't want a simplistic bash and bash war approach.  That you would even suggest that is my goal says far more about you than it says about me.

And Oligarch had far more than just archers.  They had a mix of archers and infantry, like most realms do.  Because just archers without an infantry wall seriously do not work.  You cannot win a battle that way under any normal or rational circumstance.

As for how to fix the archer pull infantry issue.  Simple really.  In concept of course.  And previously talked about by me in this thread.

1) Have Archers flee in panic if they don't have an infantry wall in front of them.  The way they used to and it appears maybe don't do as much anymore.
2) Have Infantry hold to the walls for longer when battles start, like they used to in my experience.  Of course, nobody tried the archer only attack in the old days, so maybe this would have happened back then too.  I do remember many battles in the past where the infantry would hold to the ramparts until usually turn 8 or 9 and then sally forth to attack what remained of the enemy.  That used to be the standard I saw in city battles all the time.

Those two things, both using code that exists now and more tweaking it rather than going wholesale addition to the battle code, would help to curtail the tactic and make the battles more realistic.