Author Topic: Dwilight IC and OOC updates and news!  (Read 253528 times)

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight IC and OOC updates and news!
« Reply #345: May 01, 2011, 11:24:56 PM »
On a side note dosn't the Eleryonism religion acknowledge the validity of other faiths?
Perhaps I'm recalling it incorrectly but I seem to remember somthing to that extent when we tried to contact them during our brief mission into Giask.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #346: May 01, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
Could a Dev or someone with the needed authority provide judgement wether this would be violating any rules or not? I don't want this to litter the whole Dwilight thread...

Am I not devly enough for you?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #347: May 01, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »
On a side note dosn't the Eleryonism religion acknowledge the validity of other faiths?
Perhaps I'm recalling it incorrectly but I seem to remember somthing to that extent when we tried to contact them during our brief mission into Giask.

Acknowledging the validity of other faiths is a bit borderline, but not necessarily bad.

Not declaring any specific beliefs of your own makes you not a religion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #348: May 01, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
Am I not devly enough for you?

Sorry, Anaris, I meant no disrespect. I would just like someone not involved in this discussion to Speak From The Heavens. You know, like only Devs can :)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #349: May 02, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »
Sorry, Anaris, I meant no disrespect. I would just like someone not involved in this discussion to Speak From The Heavens. You know, like only Devs can :)

Dude... Anaris IS a Dev.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #350: May 02, 2011, 05:17:34 AM »
I think the south western nations of Dwilight have been more tolerable of religions than the north because of lack of nobles and having to be more open to different ideas without it being a massive realistic medieval atmosphere. More nobles probably would have made our regions more homogenous like Caerwyn and Morek etc.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351: May 02, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
While I am in no way "official", I'll toss in my two cents. This "Church of Tolerance" sounds a lot more like guild or knightly order than a religion. Religions are for the worship of a particular god/power, or pantheon of gods/powers. They are not for the formalization of a particular public policy or political agenda. Yes, religions often espouse public policy, and routinely have political agendas. But they at least profess a core belief in a higher power.  You can't have a religion with a core belief of "All religions are good". Your core belief is "This is god". If it's not, then you're not a religion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #352: May 02, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
Dude... Anaris IS a Dev.

Dude... I know. I wanted a Dev not already involved in this matter to have a say...  ::)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #353: May 02, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
While I am in no way "official", I'll toss in my two cents. This "Church of Tolerance" sounds a lot more like guild or knightly order than a religion. Religions are for the worship of a particular god/power, or pantheon of gods/powers. They are not for the formalization of a particular public policy or political agenda. Yes, religions often espouse public policy, and routinely have political agendas. But they at least profess a core belief in a higher power.  You can't have a religion with a core belief of "All religions are good". Your core belief is "This is god". If it's not, then you're not a religion.

Mm.  I'd say more that a religion has to have a set of beliefs about the supernatural.  Whether they have a god or gods they worship specifically is not necessary.  I could see a religion, for instance, based on the Norse religion without the gods, merely a religion in opposition to the Jotun and what not.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #354: May 02, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
So, there's two more devs: Indirik and Bedwyr.

Satisfied? A Church of Tolerance, or any empty religion, or, frankly, IMHO, any religion founded exclusively to bump up peasant conversion rates to keep SA out, doesn't have a place in SMA.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #355: May 02, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
Anti-Sanguis Astroism would work though, if that's what your main concern is. Heck, I think you could even get away with calling it Anti-Sanguis Astroism (Protestantism really does mean what it sounds like you know...)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #356: May 02, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
Anti-Sanguis Astroism would work though, if that's what your main concern is. Heck, I think you could even get away with calling it Anti-Sanguis Astroism (Protestantism really does mean what it sounds like you know...)

Touché :)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #357: May 02, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »

If by that you mean that you hold the influence of the Blood Stars to be evil, then yes.  A religion that says "Sanguis Astroism is evil because they're totally taking over the continent!" would not be a good plan.  Now, you could, I suppose, have a Balance based religion that thought Sanguis Astroism was upsetting the balance of the world, but religion = theological first, political second.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #358: May 02, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »
Aw, it doesn't have to be that non-ambiguous you know. I mean, that King Henry guy did split off the Anglican Church so he could have a divorce...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #359: May 03, 2011, 02:30:02 AM »
Mm.  I'd say more that a religion has to have a set of beliefs about the supernatural.  Whether they have a god or gods they worship specifically is not necessary.  I could see a religion, for instance, based on the Norse religion without the gods, merely a religion in opposition to the Jotun and what not.

There is a difference between an empty religion and a tolerant religion.

I could imagine a Church of Tolerance with these core beliefs, for example:

1. There are a multitude of Gods.

2. Here are a few: a., b., c., etc...

3. If you encounter a people who believe in a god other than yours, here is a test to find out if the god is real: step 1, step 2, step 3.

4. If the god is real, you have the obligation to worship him equally and not to hurt these people, for hurting them is hurting a God.

How would that not be SMA?
After all it's a roleplaying game.