Author Topic: Asylon Realm Thread  (Read 122919 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Asylon Realm Thread
« Reply #285: December 03, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
The Zuma monster grinder did wonders for protecting Terran and Barca. Even if they didn't actively patrol Terran lands, no monster spawn came out of Zuma lands, and any monsters that wandered into there never came back. Realms like Astrum and Niselur didn't have any of that advantage. All those realm-kiling packs we saw the Zuma beating up? Well, everyone else had to deal with them ourselves. I'm not saying that Terran and Barca didn't have to struggle against monsters, but you have to give the Zuma quite a bit of credit for sweeping things clear, even if it was passive.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #286: December 03, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
LOL, people not adjacent to the Divides reminiscing about apocalyptic levels of monster spawning.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #287: December 03, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
The Zuma monster grinder did wonders for protecting Terran and Barca. Even if they didn't actively patrol Terran lands, no monster spawn came out of Zuma lands, and any monsters that wandered into there never came back. Realms like Astrum and Niselur didn't have any of that advantage. All those realm-kiling packs we saw the Zuma beating up? Well, everyone else had to deal with them ourselves. I'm not saying that Terran and Barca didn't have to struggle against monsters, but you have to give the Zuma quite a bit of credit for sweeping things clear, even if it was passive.

No, monsters did wander in from Zuma lands. Reduced yes, but we were still fighting them.

Again, the Zuma did not "sweep things clear." They killed many of the monsters that came into their land. They never once to my knowledge moved out and cleared anything beyond their borders.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #288: December 03, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »
Realms like Astrum and Niselur didn't have any of that advantage.

Astrum has the advantage that Libidizedd is quite protected by gthe sea. That gives you a safe revenue base. Darfix, Donghaiwei, Poryatown were all wide open.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #289: December 03, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
Asylon got hit bad a few times after Caerwyn fell but prior to that the Zuma have actively hunted in our lands. Asylon is the favoured blonde haired blue-eyed first son of the Zuma. And Glaumring is the greatest hero of western Dwilight and loved by all. Chenier is hated by his own mother... Its true.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #290: December 03, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
Asylon got hit bad a few times after Caerwyn fell but prior to that the Zuma have actively hunted in our lands. Asylon is the favoured blonde haired blue-eyed first son of the Zuma. And Glaumring is the greatest hero of western Dwilight and loved by all. Chenier is hated by his own mother... Its true.

Interesting; I didn't know the Zuma actively helped Asylon like that.

Obviously, they never did anything similar for Terran.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #291: December 03, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
We were helped by the Zuma several times until Artemesia mucked up stuff.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #292: December 03, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »

Yea, the Zuma beat down realm-killing sized hordes by us. But then again, such hordes simply didn't spawn in the North. Large hordes spawned, for sure. But the very large hordes were rare and mostly stuck around the mountains. And the Zuma didn't clear all of the large hordes either.

And if they removed a few rogue threats, they compensated plenty by sending their own armies against us on multiple occasions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #293: December 03, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »
I remember hordes of several thousand CS in the north.  They popped up a lot before the north was fully settled.  Back in the day Morek lost many regions to big monster hordes.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294: December 04, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »
Oh yes, we definitely had huge groups wandering around. I wasn't too uncommon for there to be individual groups of 3K or 4K, with regions holding upwards of 8k or 9K.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #295: December 04, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »
AFAIK, the biggest we ever had to deal with in Terran was in the 6k-7k range; 3k was more usual.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #296: December 04, 2012, 02:31:37 AM »
Oh yes, we definitely had huge groups wandering around. I wasn't too uncommon for there to be individual groups of 3K or 4K, with regions holding upwards of 8k or 9K.

Did they ever attack your cities?

The only such large hordes I knew of were in the mountains, and AFAIK, remained there.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #297: December 04, 2012, 03:37:12 AM »
The Asylon realm thread, where we discuss monsters ;)...

And Glaumring, it was in Storms end a young son of a cheif rose to the ranks of Thulsoman nobility, later followed Glaumring south and now is one of Asylons most honored Dukes, if anyone would ask him or his sworn Lords. :P
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #298: December 04, 2012, 04:20:23 AM »
The Zuma cleared some of the rogues, yes, and probably are the reason we managed to survive. That doesn't mean, however, that there weren't still a buttload of rogues spawning and that we were fighting tooth and nail for our survival for several RL months, if not over a year (plus D'Hara's constant food shortages for a few more years). The menace of the rogues was a key factor in the creation of the 'moot, as can be clearly seen in the Treaty of the Maroccidens.

Everguard probably had it worst, indeed.

But then again, they were !@#$%^&s to everyone, claimed the entire western continent for themselves, and bullied Caerwyn into relocating. No surprise they never had any allies to help them.
that was all the player of the arylon family... trust me, we moderated him somewhat. The Caerwyn thing was a great piece of sabre rattling when we were nearly in shambles though.

No they did not. The Zuma defended their own territory, so that relatively little monster spawn wandered over from Zuma lands to ours. But they did not clear out monsters in our territory or in the rogue lands near us.

I meant the Zuma were right there. In the North we had the Nifel peninsula spewing monsters to Morek and Valkyrja, the dark mountains dropping down towards Eidulb and Gelene and the north plains hordes sweeping around doing whatever they want. Many an order back in the day was hold in Gelene and Valkyrja until the monsters leave.

Imagine what it was like in the north when even more of it was unconquered, and the monster spawn rate wasn't reduced. I think the most i saw in a region was 14k, the general basically said "let's hope they're not hungry" and they split up

Yea, the Zuma beat down realm-killing sized hordes by us. But then again, such hordes simply didn't spawn in the North. Large hordes spawned, for sure. But the very large hordes were rare and mostly stuck around the mountains. And the Zuma didn't clear all of the large hordes either.

And if they removed a few rogue threats, they compensated plenty by sending their own armies against us on multiple occasions.

see above post, huge 8-11k hordes did attack everguard a few times. we simply turtled up and hoped they would leave, then reconquered lost lands. Biggest to attack Gelene was 6-7k? Aquitain got simply manhandled, as did the Shrine.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #299: December 04, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
Aye, Grimrog you have not been forgotten. We would not have been able to do it without you.