Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 545237 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1365: November 21, 2011, 03:45:33 AM »
I will be renaming all my planets eventually. The Void Imperium will be using a regional province naming system :D

oooo.... I like that. I think I'm going to do that right now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366: November 21, 2011, 03:50:26 AM »
I will be renaming all my planets eventually. The Void Imperium will be using a regional province naming system :D

Back when I was using regional governments the plan was to name the Central planet, then all the planets inside the sphere would use the same name with a numeral suffix. I've done some area's.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367: November 21, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
How are you guys going to keep naming schemes up if you get 500 planets?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368: November 21, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »
...why do you care about naming scheme when you get to 500? XD

stick mind control at 76... and then just leave it to idle..

---
dave and me have a double scout wall facing each other.. (for no reason really XD i stuck the scouts out to watch Ariana)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:35:05 PM by fodder »
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369: November 21, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »
How are you guys going to keep naming schemes up if you get 500 planets?

Well, if you update it every turn, you only have to name a couple planets a turn.

But crucially, I don't plan on getting that big. It doesn't sound very fun to me. I don't see the fun in massive expansion. I like to develop my base and do interesting things with my planets and with local politics.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370: November 21, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
dave and me have a double scout wall facing each other.. (for no reason really XD i stuck the scouts out to watch Ariana)

Hehe, Yeah, I just noticed yours a few days ago.  I put one up all around my empire -- no reason not too.  I'm also the demo account, if anyone wants to look and try to steal ideas off of me.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371: November 21, 2011, 10:58:20 PM »
heh... amazoneon laughed when we allied and saw my scout arc (nw quadrant)... i'm now moving them into more of a pack for better converge up there.

i've got another one going to the east/south east...
--
btw.. you can kill kingdante's planets.. he's quitted a while back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:00:16 PM by fodder »
firefox

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372: November 22, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »
We're discussing alternatives for the 1 scout defense over on the Google Group. My two ideas:

1. If in the course of invading a system, an attackers fleet wipes out a defending fleet, they should immediately get to begin planetary assault during the same COMBAT turn. That way there is no guarantee of victory by either the invader (who still has to get the system to capitulate) or the defender (who can still use each turn they're alive to build more ships, send in reinforcements, activate planetary defense, etc).

OR

2. Rather than counting a system's defending fleets and the planetary bombardment as separate battles (which doesn't make much sense anyway), count them as ONE big battle in which the Invader pitches his fleets against the defender's fleets & planetary defenses. Defending fleets lower the capitulation chance (the stronger the fleet, the lower the chance) for the system to capitulate. Or maybe the capitulation should be lowered to 0% (or halved?) while the planet has active fleets defending it.

Which one do you prefer?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373: November 22, 2011, 02:57:10 AM »
Why is Amaury sending large fleet to my planets?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374: November 22, 2011, 04:18:17 AM »
We're discussing alternatives for the 1 scout defense over on the Google Group. My two ideas:

1. If in the course of invading a system, an attackers fleet wipes out a defending fleet, they should immediately get to begin planetary assault during the same COMBAT turn. That way there is no guarantee of victory by either the invader (who still has to get the system to capitulate) or the defender (who can still use each turn they're alive to build more ships, send in reinforcements, activate planetary defense, etc).

This one.

All that's really necessary is to change the order the code is processed. As of now, planetary bombardments happen BEFORE combat. If we make them happen AFTER combat, the whole problem will be solved, and, instead of warfare being massively and asymmetrically in favor of the defender, attackers will have more significant clout, as the only way to ensure a system's security is with good PD coverage AND a large standing fleet or nearby resource stockpile.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375: November 22, 2011, 04:43:39 AM »
This one.

All that's really necessary is to change the order the code is processed. As of now, planetary bombardments happen BEFORE combat. If we make them happen AFTER combat, the whole problem will be solved, and, instead of warfare being massively and asymmetrically in favor of the defender, attackers will have more significant clout, as the only way to ensure a system's security is with good PD coverage AND a large standing fleet or nearby resource stockpile.

Which will massively disadvantage smaller players.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376: November 22, 2011, 05:07:03 AM »
Which will massively disadvantage smaller players.

Who wouldn't have known about scout defense anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377: November 22, 2011, 05:11:13 AM »
Who wouldn't have known about scout defense anyways.

Not true, I've encountered players with 3 planets that know all about scout defense. It only takes about 5 minutes of looking at a turn report to work it out.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378: November 22, 2011, 05:16:27 AM »
Give capitals a defensive bonus, then? Have new players start with a PD?

I'm guessing you don't want every newb to get crushed instantly, but it's lame that you need to be a huge empire to be able to attack even a small colony.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379: November 22, 2011, 05:20:54 AM »
Give capitals a defensive bonus, then? Have new players start with a PD?

I'm guessing you don't want every newb to get crushed instantly, but it's lame that you need to be a huge empire to be able to attack even a small colony.

What I don't want is say someone my size with 800 planets to be easily able to overwhelm players with only 100 planets. On some planets I can make fleets of 80 super battleship, if I start sending out masses of fleets how long would that player last? As is PD generally only cost me the equivalent of a few hundred destroyers before they are damaged enough to stop. Considering my latest attack fleet consist of 40 fleets of 50 battleships each, what player not close to me in size is really going to be able to put up a defense on their planets to have a hope of stopping that?