Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 545030 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1575: December 20, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
Ok, the scale of this game is frightening. And here I was thinking my new fleet of 100 super-battleships was the most impressive thing in the skies in this sector.

100 SB in a single fleet is pretty impressive. My largest fleet at the moment is only 300 battleships.
Mostly I build 100 battleships + 5 Blackbirds for my fleets, that gives me a good powerful fleet, while also giving me the flexibility to field a lot of fleets

I wasn't that happy with the performance of SB for the cost, but I also never tried them in fleets larger then 30. With the resource cap on planets, planetary links just became really important if you want REALLY large fleets. Unless you are happy to build a fleet, move it to another planet, scrap it, build a bigger fleet.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576: December 20, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
I know for sure that theres some noobs in these forums that like to ally with everyone.

And 2000 battleships, is that in a single fleet? While the scale in this game is large, PD is so OP it doesn't matter.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577: December 20, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »
I know for sure that theres some noobs in these forums that like to ally with everyone.

And 2000 battleships, is that in a single fleet? While the scale in this game is large, PD is so OP it doesn't matter.

First, PD was modified recently, so its not nearly so powerful, but even at its best it was defeatable, just expensive to do so. Scout defense made PD overpowered, not the PD itself. I've found that sending 10 fleets of one SB each is enough to easily defeat PD defended inactive planets, usually losing about 2 SB. Against active players 10 fleets of 500 destroyers each has worked for me, generally leaving enough ships surviving to take over the surrounding planets once the PD is down. Now overlapping PD, that is something I haven't really had to worry about yet. Perhaps you would like to share your experience?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1578: December 20, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »
I wasn't that happy with the performance of SB for the cost, but I also never tried them in fleets larger then 30. With the resource cap on planets, planetary links just became really important if you want REALLY large fleets. Unless you are happy to build a fleet, move it to another planet, scrap it, build a bigger fleet.

Yeah, I am lucky that my home planet is in a good network of connections.

Plus I have about 200 trade fleets in the air at any given time. Resources do get moved around my empire.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579: December 20, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »
I wish I could have connections..stars too dense around me and as far as I can tell trading fails miserably at moving resources where I'd like them to go..
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1580: December 20, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Also, just so everybody knows, whoever thinks baz is inactive will be in for a rude awakening....

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581: December 21, 2011, 02:24:51 AM »
Also, just so everybody knows, whoever thinks baz is inactive will be in for a rude awakening....

Yup looks like he is back and competing with me for Dach's planets. Oh well plenty to go around.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582: December 21, 2011, 04:13:03 AM »
Yup looks like he is back and competing with me for Dach's planets. Oh well plenty to go around. Besides I've got all those fleets moving towards my planets from Vellos.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583: December 21, 2011, 06:40:35 AM »
First, PD was modified recently, so its not nearly so powerful, but even at its best it was defeatable, just expensive to do so. Scout defense made PD overpowered, not the PD itself. I've found that sending 10 fleets of one SB each is enough to easily defeat PD defended inactive planets, usually losing about 2 SB. Against active players 10 fleets of 500 destroyers each has worked for me, generally leaving enough ships surviving to take over the surrounding planets once the PD is down. Now overlapping PD, that is something I haven't really had to worry about yet. Perhaps you would like to share your experience?

It takes 6 million steel to kill 1 PD that costs nothing.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584: December 21, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
It takes 6 million steel to kill 1 PD that costs nothing.

No, that is what I use, its not what it takes.    darklatiz took one of Oldy's planets with something in the order of 200 ships, split between battleships, cruisers and destroyers. Unless you have actually tried to challenge PD since it was changed and scout defence destroyed, you really have no idea of its effectiveness.

Then again you have another point to consider. What are you going to do with all the resources your planets generate if not expand. Massive Arc fleets are only entertaining for so long after all.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585: December 21, 2011, 08:04:37 AM »
I killed a PD using about 100k worth of steel and AFK ones only require frigate spam for 5% that should be scripted. Once PD is damaged you can do whatever you want. I think killing active PD requires about 5x the steel on the planet and any reinforcements. Killing active overlapping PD is impossible. Scout defence was important but theres a difference between sending 10 planets worth of fleets to kill an Oldry pimple and dealing with great wall of china PD.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586: December 21, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »
I killed a PD using about 100k worth of steel and AFK ones only require frigate spam for 5% that should be scripted. Once PD is damaged you can do whatever you want. I think killing active PD requires about 5x the steel on the planet and any reinforcements. Killing active overlapping PD is impossible. Scout defence was important but theres a difference between sending 10 planets worth of fleets to kill an Oldry pimple and dealing with great wall of china PD.

Like you pointed out it is possible to defeat PD using much less force then I tend to use, co-ordinated attacks against grouped PD are more expensive, but still quite possible. Of course you need to time the attack in this cases, as significant reinforcements can really create a problem. Sometimes you also need to "pick" off the planets on the outer rim of the PD defense one at a time. Of course this costs you resources, but sometimes clearing the sensor path to the central planet means this pays off.

This is what I had to do in my last war. Five PDs had area's of overlap, with good sensor coverage from outlying planets. I had to take a number of outlying planets first which both gave me a clearer path at the PD defended planets and also reduced the defense fleets, and then sent 3 fleets of 100 battleships at each of the PD planets. This initial wave took out 3 planets. After that the remaining two were much simpler.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587: December 21, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
Probably spotted a ARC storm

In other news, due to other commitments, I'm not going to be playing my Masdus account any further. I  might set up a new account and work on playing a nice small empire, or I might not. but what this all means to you guys is FREE PLANETS. I will be logging in every now and then to try and prevent Oldry from taking my planets, but if anyone wants to claim some of my empire let me know and I will move the defences.

Some other things that people might have missed

Dach who is near my southern borders is inactive, I have been taking his planets
Baz, who is also on my southern border is inactive, but I haven't been taking his planets
Uranus, who is everywhere, is inactive, I have been taking his planets
Flyingmana, seems to have gotten bored since our war ended, and is inactive, I've not started my attack on him just yet

So that is more then 4000 planets up for grabs guys, go to it.

So, you're not playing your Masdus account anymore... except you're moving all your resources away from the planets I'm attacking, onto PD-defended homeworlds?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588: December 22, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
Sounds like PD is just about right -- forces you to think a little bit...

Also, someone mentioned this, but I think it's worth repeating -- PD can only shoot at you if they can see you, so if there's a hole in the sensor rings, you can get a lot closer, or even bypass the PD altogether. 
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589: December 22, 2011, 01:40:57 AM »
So, you're not playing your Masdus account anymore... except you're moving all your resources away from the planets I'm attacking, onto PD-defended homeworlds?

Several times in this Forum I have reversed that decision, since I found something new in the game to keep my interest. Had you messaged me IG like I requested for anyone that was interested in my planets you might have know this.

Maybe I will declare war on someone and go out in a blaze of glory. Still got a few things I want to sort out in game at this stage, but a war with Hierulf might be fun. So plan right now, build some 500 PD systems. Colonising past what I already have moving out is unlikely, though I do still have some 500 odd arc fleets running around somewhere. Only problem I am likely to have is a cash flow, once you have built every war based upgrade on a planet, the income isn't great. I might need to look at Regional Governments again.

So if you already started sending fleets at me (not that anyone bothered to send a message) I would turn back now.

I like it, better yet get to 2000 planets, and create a fleet from each one. mmmmmmmmmm now who to take another 800 planets from?

Okay, just went through all 24 pages of planets that represent the planets in my empire that have achieved "State" and started them building PD. Now to find which planets aren't currently supporting a fleet and start the build up.

Also Oldry "found" another of my long range Arc convoys. I would love to know which of my supposed "allies" keep showing him where to position his fleets to just "coincidentally" intersect with Arcs that have been travelling for months.

This is way way out of our sector, kind of close to his planet that is on the way to the core. I have several routes going that way, and so far he has managed to land his fleet smack on the route each time, and just waits for Arc's to arrive. He also tends to run away as my defence fleets approach.

In other news, I am now the proud owner of another 2000 battleships.

You should also notice that I have several BS fleets moving in locally, and another 3000 battleships coming from further away :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:45:16 AM by De-Legro »