Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 544992 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1605: December 23, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
Hint, he is rubbish at defending new territory.

Maybe, but the main portion of his empire is right next to mine so he'd have an easy enough time to send a few thousand cruisers to crush anything I have or could produce.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1606: December 23, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
Space battles suck for that region. If you have long-range weapons, there is practically no limit to the amount of forces you can bring to bear. In ground battles, you can try to use territory to your advantage and make sure the enemy can only ever get a small part of his army on you. No such luck in space. If he has a million cruisers, they can all shoot you at the same time.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607: December 23, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Maybe, but the main portion of his empire is right next to mine so he'd have an easy enough time to send a few thousand cruisers to crush anything I have or could produce.

Small empires unite :) Sorry there is bugger all chance of anyone catching him without going to war, and he is very keen on arcs.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608: December 23, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »
With new resource caps, his inability to manage all of his regions effectively will hurt him: he'll have plenty of planets idling.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609: December 24, 2011, 01:08:11 AM »
With new resource caps, his inability to manage all of his regions effectively will hurt him: he'll have plenty of planets idling.

Hehe, maybe my poor support for larger empires is actually a good thing.  It's a limiting factor in and of itself.
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610: December 24, 2011, 01:22:21 AM »
Hehe, maybe my poor support for larger empires is actually a good thing.  It's a limiting factor in and of itself.

Definitely. It'll help when the game picks up more. Seeing a couple of massive empires might put some newer players off, but if a lot of people are around the same size (even if they are fairly large), they'll realise it's achievable and stay.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611: December 24, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
No it just makes the game best played by those who have no life.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612: December 24, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »
No it just makes the game best played by those who have no life.

You really do come across as quite a sour person. Do you actually enjoy playing the game at all?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1613: December 24, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
You really do come across as quite a sour person. Do you actually enjoy playing the game at all?

He has a point, though. The reason I stopped expanding is that it takes way too much time to manage my planets now. In fact, many of my recent expansions aren't properly managed at all, because it is too cumbersome.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614: December 24, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »
He has a point, though. The reason I stopped expanding is that it takes way too much time to manage my planets now. In fact, many of my recent expansions aren't properly managed at all, because it is too cumbersome.

Oh I realise, I've got more then 1000 planets. Mostly logging in once a day to build mind control on planets that need it is all I can spare. I just wouldn't characterise those players who choose to spend more time as having "no lives". Just like I don't call the other BM Galaxyer's noobs because they choose to follow a different strategy then I do.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615: December 24, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »

I like the strategy and currently the interface is the price I have to pay.

Daves galaxy is best played with no life and most bm players are noobs.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:29:49 PM by Kai »

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616: December 24, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »
You're currently ranked #2 for BM players in the game... what does that say about you? :P

Dav3xor

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617: December 24, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
You're currently ranked #2 for BM players in the game... what does that say about you? :P

Crap -- I really meant the "10 minutes a day!" part of the tagline, but the only way to really force that would be to have strict limits on empire size, etc.  And I really do like the limitless aspect of the game...  It's fun to be able to build as many fleets as you want, etc.

I should add checkboxes for "automatically start these upgrades at society level...", so the larger players don't have to deal with starting the same upgrades on all their planets, etc...  Also better fleet/planet lists, but I'm not sure how efficacious that will be really.  Maybe a search would be better, but a good search practically turns into writing queries -- i.e. "all planets with society level > 10 and mindcontrol not in upgrades and...."  Which doesn't sound like a lot of fun for me, or the player...
--
Dave of Dave's Galaxy

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1618: December 24, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Crap -- I really meant the "10 minutes a day!" part of the tagline, but the only way to really force that would be to have strict limits on empire size, etc.  And I really do like the limitless aspect of the game...  It's fun to be able to build as many fleets as you want, etc.

I should add checkboxes for "automatically start these upgrades at society level...", so the larger players don't have to deal with starting the same upgrades on all their planets, etc...  Also better fleet/planet lists, but I'm not sure how efficacious that will be really.  Maybe a search would be better, but a good search practically turns into writing queries -- i.e. "all planets with society level > 10 and mindcontrol not in upgrades and...."  Which doesn't sound like a lot of fun for me, or the player...

Yes, please. That would bring back the 10 minutes concept. I have "build plans" for my colonies. I know which upgrades I want everywhere, for example. I would love to be able to tell the game this.

So having the ability to define a few "blueprints" and then just decide which to apply to what planet would be a *massive* timesaver.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619: December 24, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
on the other hand, next thing that'll get asked would be build plans for ships, that would be the other half of the "problem"... tons of idle planets with all upgrades built, max resource and sits around.

on that vein, if you have build plans for ships,  (hoard XYZ resource, then build W ships) you'll probably end up being pestered to code pre-set waypoint/destinations...
firefox