Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 544971 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1635: January 01, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
It woudl seem evident, but I was curious if maybe something in the code would prevent it from shooting planets directly on an enemy planet.

My PD is blasting Oldry's fleets that are on his planets. This doesn't surprise me necessarily, but it doesn't seem necessarily obvious.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636: January 01, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
surely the question is... how the hell does it shoot fleet in somewhere else's orbit.. doesn't miss and hit the planet instead.
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637: January 01, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
surely the question is... how the hell does it shoot fleet in somewhere else's orbit.. doesn't miss and hit the planet instead.

Guided Missiles.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638: January 01, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
guide the missiles to the planet

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639: January 01, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
guide the missiles to the planet

Heh, it'd be sweet to be able to bombard a planet directly with PD.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1640: January 05, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »
Someone stole a planet I was about to take from a guy fodder and I were planning to attack, so I declared war on him. Roarg.

Fleet: Fleet #91680, 18 super battleships (91680) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
       superbattleships -- 7
Fleet: Fleet #125682, 32 (125682) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 4
       superbattleships -- 3
               frigates -- 1
Fleet: Fleet #93148, 142 cruisers (93148) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 7
Fleet: Fleet #125682, 24 (125682) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 4
       superbattleships -- 1
               frigates -- 1
Fleet: Fleet #78915, 277 (78915) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 2
               frigates -- 1
Fleet: Fleet #125682, 18 (125682) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 1
       superbattleships -- 3
Fleet: Fleet #3857, 5 scouts (3857) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
                 scouts -- 5
Fleet: Fleet #110451, 4 destroyer (110451) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #78915, 274 (78915) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 3
               frigates -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #110450, 19 super battleships (110450) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
       superbattleships -- 1
Fleet: Fleet #91680, 11 super battleships (91680) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
       superbattleships -- 4
Fleet: Fleet #110450, 18 super battleships (110450) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
       superbattleships -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #119610, 14 (119610) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
         bulkfreighters -- 5
            merchantmen -- 5
               frigates -- 4
Fleet: Fleet #110451, 2 destroyer (110451) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
             destroyers -- 2
Fleet: Fleet #119596, 10 (119596) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
         bulkfreighters -- 6
             destroyers -- 4
Fleet: Fleet #93148, 135 cruisers (93148) Battle! -- Our Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 3
Fleet: Fleet #110450, 16 super battleships (110450) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
       superbattleships -- 3
Fleet: Fleet #6929, 3 cruisers (6929) Battle! -- Their Ships Lost:
               cruisers -- 1

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641: January 05, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
incidentally, 1999's capital planet is already taken by someone else to his NE (JohnCusack). i'll attempt to take surrounding planets... since me ships are nearly there already..

waited too long.. doh!
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642: January 06, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »
So I am getting more and more in game messages from people in the area sick of Hieruf and his massive expansions. Just in case anyone in the BM world is also having problems with this, here is what I advise. Declare war. You never need to attack him, or threaten his colonies, but this way all those damn arc spams will be targeted by your PD. Chances are he will never do anything at all about it, I know a couple of players that have been doing it for months with no problems at all. Hell a little guy called Daz up near lilWolf is actually fighting Hieruf and managing to take planets from him.

If you are really that worried about the big guys (which probably includes me) then there is no better time then now to do SOMETHING against them. The reality is they are all only growing stronger relative to you anyway.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643: January 06, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
Hell a little guy called Daz up near lilWolf is actually fighting Hieruf and managing to take planets from him.

Not for long. Hierulf has some big fleets(well, for Daz to handle) headed his way.

If you are really that worried about the big guys (which probably includes me) then there is no better time then now to do SOMETHING against them. The reality is they are all only growing stronger relative to you anyway.

I honestly don't mind Hierulf that much. At least he doesn't seem prone to starting wars against much smaller players.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644: January 06, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
Not for long. Hierulf has some big fleets(well, for Daz to handle) headed his way.

I honestly don't mind Hierulf that much. At least he doesn't seem prone to starting wars against much smaller players.

Whom ever said I started the war with Timmac? I had more then enough to deal with before he decided to try and take over some of my far flung planets. Whatever happens to him now was his own doing.

Until you decided to get involved, I had a very small fleet in the area, certainly nothing that Tim should have struggled to handle. Now we will just have to see, I had no particular desire to send any real fleets in this direction, but then it is not like a few thousand battleships will cost me anything.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:55:04 AM by De-Legro »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1645: January 06, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Something new - at least for me:

I've started moving large arc fleets - some 50 or 100 arcs strong. Not to colonize new planets (I'm getting close to where I can not longer expand without hitting my neighbours or moving through them), but to redistribute population. I have loads of fairly fresh colonies with low population and a bunch of old planets with overpopulation. So today the thought struck me: Why not move a ton of arcs out towards them? That also gives the border planets more steel to build defensive fleets with, so I don't have to move those out from the inner planets.

No idea yet whether it's a smart or stupid idea. I'll do a couple and see what I think of it.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646: January 06, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Whom ever said I started the war with Timmac? I had more then enough to deal with before he decided to try and take over some of my far flung planets. Whatever happens to him now was his own doing.

He did. You never bothered to state otherwise even when we exchanged messages. According to him you just plopped some colonies near him, then moved in fleets close to his planets and then one day just decided to attack.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647: January 06, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
Something new - at least for me:

I've started moving large arc fleets - some 50 or 100 arcs strong. Not to colonize new planets (I'm getting close to where I can not longer expand without hitting my neighbours or moving through them), but to redistribute population. I have loads of fairly fresh colonies with low population and a bunch of old planets with overpopulation. So today the thought struck me: Why not move a ton of arcs out towards them? That also gives the border planets more steel to build defensive fleets with, so I don't have to move those out from the inner planets.

No idea yet whether it's a smart or stupid idea. I'll do a couple and see what I think of it.

This is why I start Colonies with more then 1 arc. Daz has been showing Hieruf just how vulnerable a colony set with a single arc can be, though of course if Hieruf gets serious I think Daz will be struggling to defend even his little core planet, let alone the planets he took from Hieruf. Perhaps he was betting on Hieruf not having the time to deal with such a little issue.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648: January 06, 2012, 12:51:01 PM »
He did. You never bothered to state otherwise even when we exchanged messages. According to him you just plopped some colonies near him, then moved in fleets close to his planets and then one day just decided to attack.

Well of course he did. What is he going to say, oh hey Ally can you come and help me try to beat this player I annoyed? Oh and by the way, his empire eclipses both of ours, should be simple yes?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:04:04 PM by De-Legro »

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649: January 06, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »
Well of course he did. What is he going to say, oh hey Ally can you come and help me try to beat this player I annoyed? Oh and by the way, his empire eclipses both of ours, should be simple yes?

Heh. He didn't actually ask me for help. I asked if he needed any when I noticed there were battles going on between him and you. Guess I'm too nice an ally :P

Still, all you'd have needed to say was he started it in response to my initial message instead of just going "You know who this is, right?" and I probably wouldn't have gotten involved.