Author Topic: Dave's Galaxy  (Read 545029 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Dave's Galaxy
« Reply #1800: February 17, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
I don't do Mind Control, so I have high society levels.

Most of my trading fleets are around 50 merchants, so it shouldn't be such a problem.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801: February 17, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
If the script was to automate activities, I would probably feel the same, though I think I would probably start a forum thread to get Tom's opinion or start a magistrate case rather then just make my own judgement. BM is a very different game and I'm not sure automation scripts have a place in it.

Of course scripts don't just automate things. I use two scripts in battlemaster. The first allows me to save messages into a indexDB database and provides message search/filtering capability. I created it to allow me to easily have a way to store messages past 30 days and to also allow me to easily find the messages I wanted.

I wish there was an in-game option for this. I try to save messages, but I always forget and get massive holes in the logs. For example, I know the window in which Old Grehk said they would give back Wudenkin, but not the exact date, 'cause I had saved my logs just a few days prior and then forgot to do it again for more than a month.

For a game that goes around messages, I find the ability to record things disappointing. I can understand Tom doesn't want to store it all on his dbase (extremely understandable), but the option to automatically save it on our own hard drives would be extremely appreciated.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802: February 17, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »

Most of my trading fleets are around 50 merchants, so it shouldn't be such a problem.

Dave just tweaked trading mechanics, and messed it up horribly. It's hitting some of the allies on my other account quite hard as well.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803: February 18, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »
Due to the trade fleet bug, big trading fleets might not be optimal. The amount a fleet keeps when it returns to the home planet seems to be fixed, not dependent on the size of the fleet. The end result is large fleets (like my fleets of 100-500 bulkfreighters) can't afford to fill their holds after returning to the home planet, and need to make some good trades to get to that point. Smaller fleets (I think < 10 or something) don't suffer from this.

The bug actually affected any fleet with 5 or more merchants (or bulkfreighters).... and GOOD NEWS, Dave just fixed the bug last night. Your larger merchant fleets won't get their full starting money until after they return home though.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804: February 18, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »

It's the difference between your fleet having 250,000 quataloos to purchase cargo with or 5,000. I'd say that's quite a shortfall!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805: February 18, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »

Past level 80 you don't produce food. Are you using Food Subsidies?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806: February 18, 2012, 02:56:31 AM »
I wish there was an in-game option for this. I try to save messages, but I always forget and get massive holes in the logs. For example, I know the window in which Old Grehk said they would give back Wudenkin, but not the exact date, 'cause I had saved my logs just a few days prior and then forgot to do it again for more than a month.

For a game that goes around messages, I find the ability to record things disappointing. I can understand Tom doesn't want to store it all on his dbase (extremely understandable), but the option to automatically save it on our own hard drives would be extremely appreciated.

Chrome is the only browser that provided easy access to your hardrive via the browser interface. No other browser currently implements the fileAPI from HTML 5. You can get around this by using one of the HTML 5 database options, again on browsers that support it. But then for the average user you won't know where it is stored so if you move to another machine, nothing will be saved.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1807: February 18, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
Past level 80 you don't produce food. Are you using Food Subsidies?

No, except on the food planets.

I expected the planets to have a bit of demand, but NOTHING? That's not for real, is it?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808: February 18, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
um.. those are excess resources i think.. ie.. the planet has a deficit of food after certain levels.
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809: February 19, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
No, except on the food planets.

I expected the planets to have a bit of demand, but NOTHING? That's not for real, is it?

I'm going to set up some trade fleets from my surrounding planets and see if that makes a difference. Really wish there was a easier way to control merchant fleets then with routes.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810: February 20, 2012, 02:47:26 AM »
I've kind of lost interest in the game, I must admit.

With the 500 or so planets I now have, it is simply impossible to manage the empire without scripts. And I don't feel like playing a game of "who can write the better script".

Plus all of my core planets are suddenly starving for no apparent reason, and despite me having somewhere in the area of 400 trading fleets in the air.

There needs to be less micro-management in this game, and allowing scripting isn't the solution.

So I created some bulkfreighter fleets to try and supply your planets. It appears they are more interested in selling you Steel then food. The help implies that Bulkfreighters will try and return to their home planet with food, so perhaps you need to build masses of fleets from those planets? Really moving specific resources in the game is a pain.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811: February 20, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »
So I created some bulkfreighter fleets to try and supply your planets. It appears they are more interested in selling you Steel then food. The help implies that Bulkfreighters will try and return to their home planet with food, so perhaps you need to build masses of fleets from those planets? Really moving specific resources in the game is a pain.

Bulkfreighters only bring BACK food to their home port. If you want to deliver food, you've got to use Merchants.

But I do agree is difficult to address shortages, the pricing of commodities should fluctuate more when a colony has 0 amount of resources compared to maximum amount of resources. And merchants do not always pick the most profitable cargo for a particular destination, though they're supposed to. I'm sure Dave is working on it.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812: February 20, 2012, 05:47:58 AM »
Bulkfreighters only bring BACK food to their home port. If you want to deliver food, you've got to use Merchants.

But I do agree is difficult to address shortages, the pricing of commodities should fluctuate more when a colony has 0 amount of resources compared to maximum amount of resources. And merchants do not always pick the most profitable cargo for a particular destination, though they're supposed to. I'm sure Dave is working on it.

That's simply not true, while the Bulkfrieghters are carrying mostly steel, they also have food in their compartments to deliver, just not as much as I would like. The issue would seem to be the fact I use circular routes for trade. Just created a bulkfreighter fleet and directly click on of the planets, and it grabbed a full food load. However if I then set the fleet on a circular route to the same planet, it changes its load to steel.

Don't know how to handle this, I can't afford the ships to just wander around, they always seem to end up heading to a enemy planet and getting blown up, but they are pointless if they can't work out what to take on the route properly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:45:18 AM by De-Legro »

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813: February 21, 2012, 09:31:32 PM »
Have to admit I'm thinking whether it's worth it to keep playing the game. The amount of time and effort it's taking me it just feels more like a chore than anything else. I could easily spend a few hours every day just clicking through planets to keep things moving. Heck, it already takes almost an hour to just move my fleets from newly taken planets to new ones and from outlying planets to the production centers. I don't even want to think what it would take to go through my planets to start all the upgrades I've missed on hundreds of them.

The game turns seriously unfriendly towards you once you start a war, take/lose planets or grow past a certain point.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1814: February 21, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »
unless you turn into a script whore... which is something I hate.