Author Topic: The Death of Jessica Gildre  (Read 2903 times)

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Jessica Gildre
« Topic Start: September 25, 2019, 01:25:48 AM »
Quote from: Eva Foote
Ten hours ago...

Eva sat on the edge of the fountain at the center of the magnificent temple in the Holy City of Rines' cloister. With the sun directly overhead, she glided her across the warm water as Deacon Robert informed Eva of the recent news in Grehk. As someone relatively close to the recently reclusive and now departed Oracle, Deacon Robert was unofficially promoted to an advisory role but primarily served as an intermediary between Eva and her servants.

"and there has still been no word from His Grace regarding the...incident." the Deacon concluded his report.

"Where is he now?" Eva asked without looking towards the Deacon.

"His Grace was last seen in Grehk but that was a while ago. His Grace's guards have been loyal to him and have not provided any details regarding His Grace's intentions or movements."

"What of," Eva hesitated before looking back towards Robert," her?"

"She was last seen being carried out from the White Citadel by His Grace. After that, we do not know what happened."

"She deserves a proper funeral," the Grandmistress turned back to the fountain as clouds passed in front of the sun. "Since His Grace will not respond to letters," Eva broke the silence, "I will get the response in person. Ready transport to Grehk immediately."

"Right away, Your Holiness," Robert responded with a bow before quickly leaving the cloister.

Eva looked back at the hastily departing deacon, she was still not comfortable with the phrase "Your Holiness." Every time she heard the phrase it left her uneasy for though it was appropriate, it felt inappropriate. Eva hoped such feelings would pass or perhaps the Oracle would return sooner rather than later, thus removing the discomfort.

----

Present...

After a nine hour trip, the large convoy came to a stop in front of the White Citadel of Grehk. Eva exited her carriage to see the handful of the Duke's guards at entrance. Dozens of soldiers had recently started accompanying the Grandmistress everywhere she went in order to ensure her safety. Many of them were formerly part of the Basilica's guards who were no longer needed after the Oracle's departure. With little light the royal banners could hardly be seen by the faint torch fires.

"Eva Foote," a captain belted out to the gatekeepers, "Vicarius Oraculum, and Grandmistress of the Sacred Obia'Syela, has come to meet with Vahanian Blint, Lord Templar, Duke of Amen Telum, and Margrave of Grehk."

There was no reply but one of the gatekeepers could be seen departing, likely to find out what they were to do with the unannounced visitor. Deacon Robert slowly approached Eva from behind.

"Your Holiness," the Deacon whispered, "what if His Grace doesn't permit entrance?"

Eva looked back with a disapproving look to the Deacon, she knew what he was asking. "Then we will leave," she said to the shadowy face, "peacefully." She had no interest in resorting to violence and even if she did there wasn't enough soldiers here for taking the citadel.

"What if, Obeah forbid, His Grace has gone rogue?" the Deacon continued his anxious questioning, "a meeting inside His Grace's residence could be dangerous."

"Robert, His Grace is not that stupid."

"But what if?"

Eva gave the Deacon a scornful look, "whatever happens, happens. Now cease your babbling."

"Yes, Your Holiness," Robert sheepishly backed away.

Eva looked back towards the Citadel, shaking away the Deacon's infectious anxiety. The gatekeeper finally came back to his post, likely with orders of what the guards were to tell the Grandmistress.

Quote from: Vahanian Blint
- Meetings with Lavitz and Ferdinand -

Vahanian was about to answer Ferdinand, when a knock sounded. Baldwin entered and shuffled over and whispered in Vahanian's ear. Vahanian looked at him and said "See to it. Let her in, I'll see her after she's settled."

He turned back to his companions and said "The Grandmistress is here. No doubt to inquire after the duel. I must attend to this.." He stood to leave and said "Ferdinand.. we must never let heresy grow. Especially when it is so close to our borders. We must act, and we must be swift. I know you're..conflicted. Speak with Sir Lavitz here. Listen to his stories of the last invasion, and then make up your mind."

With that Vahanian left the two men alone and went to attend to Eva.

The guard returned with an older man, one who had the distinct look of a lifetime of service, military service at that. The man took one look at the Grand Mistress, and cuffed the younger guards. "Open the gates at once!"

The gates rattled open and the older man bowed low saying, "Your Majesty, forgive their ignorance. They are young and prone to mistakes. I am Baldwin, personal aide and Captain of the guard for His Grace. His Grace welcomes you to Grehk and the White Citadel. Rooms and refreshments will be made available to you and your companions. If you'd follow me, I'm sure you're tired after your journey. I will inform the Duke of your arrival."

A short while later

Vahanian was on his way through the halls of the White Citadel towards the rooms that had been made available to Eva and her retainer. He was still wearing his dark blue and black robes, his hair tied back and he wore two daggers on his belt. One at his side, and one on the small of his back. He and Baldwin approached the door to Eva's rooms and he knocked twice and awaited a reply. He heard the sounds of feet shuffling across the heavy carpets and then the door opened and the Deacon's face appeared in the crack. He opened the door wider and permitted Vahanian and Baldwin into the room. Eva sat on one of the sofa's and looked up as he entered.

Vahanian bowed as did Baldwin and he said "Your Grace, what a pleasant surprise, I hope your journey wasn't too harrowing." Eva stood and gave a small curtsy to Vahanian and said "Your Grace, thank you for your hospitality."

Vahanian nodded to Baldwin and said "Thank you, Baldwin, that will be all." Baldwin bowed once more and departed. Eva offered Vahanian a chair and he sat, selecting one by the window so he might smoke without too much of an impact on Eva. The Deacon eyes his daggers warily and Vahanian nearly rolled his eyes. "Oh relax, if I wanted her dead, she'd be dead already. I assume you're here to discuss... The duel." He swallowed the lump that started to form in his throat, and lit his pipe as he looked at Eva.

Eva said nothing on the journey into the White Citadel nor while in the room she would spend the night in. After the Duke came in, the two exchanged the formal greetings and sat together. Eva, still in her white vestments and the priestly veil covering her face, listened to Vahanian address Deacon Robert.

"...I assume you're here to discuss... The duel." Vahanian finished his statement which was now directed at Eva and lit the pipe that seemed to accompany him everywhere.

"Out," she said looking at Deacon Robert.

"Yes, Your Holiness," he hesitantly said with a bow before slowly leaving the room.

Eva watched the door close behind Robert before looking back at the seated Vahanian. Gracefully she removed her veil as he exhaled smoke which rolled out the open window. She did not intend on a formal meeting and hoped that the combination of removing her veil and her soon informal speech patterns would adequately convey this.

"Indeed," Eva said plainly, "I am here about the duel. You did not responded to my written request for information. I hope that this is due to time restraints and not because you have something to hide." Her emerald eyes remained fixed on Vahanian, not to find an exposing expression, he was too experienced to give anything away that easily, but to convey that her full focus was on him and not other matters.

Quote from: Lavitz Gildre
Lavitz and Ferdinand

"Quite the meeting of ex-Grand Templars we have here," Lavitz laughed, "Grandmistress Eva, eh? What are your thoughts of her? I have yet to meet her, in person..."

He leaned forward and tapped the charcoal tabacco from his pipe into an ash tray, and stowed it in his robes. He glanced down as he did and frowned. He should have cleaned himself up and gotten a tunic before coming, but he had really only intended on discussing his counsin's demise, and not planning how to start a multi-national campaign against a cell of heretics.

"Back in my day..." he leaned back and mused, "We were garrisoned in Keffa city. There is a reason the Prophetess made the migration from the north to the Holy City of Rines. There is no sustainability to the north. Eva's desire to move the realm back there is a fools gambit, and has little hope of success."

"Why do you think her and Erheas are opposed to dealing with the heretics right next door to us?"

Vahanian met Eva's gaze with equal intensity for a long while, puffing on his pipe before saying anything. Eventually he said "She warranted death. She was blasphemous and bordering on heresy. But know that I did not take pleasure in it. Beyond that, I don't have much more to say. The letters between Jessica and I, will remain between us."

Vahanian's eyes held Eva's for a while and then he said "What do you hope to get from this conversation?"

Vahanian's eyes held Eva's for a while and then he said "What do you hope to get from this conversation?"

They continued to study each other, looking for a hint, any hint. Vahanian's direct question caught Eva off guard. Though she gave Vahanian a slight smile it could be discerned by the careful observer that she was unamused. For longer than usual she did not blink or change her expression. When the time came to relieve drying eyes she did so with a turn of the head towards the door, resetting her composure in a quick moment.

"The truth," she said with a grin towards the Duke, "that is what I came for." Eva kept her posture straight as she shifted back in her seat, letting her back rest against the cushion of the sofa. No longer with her body shifted towards the Duke, she now somberly faced the door. "It is a shame that such a legacy as Jessica's will be marred by this...drastic change in character," Eva said with a tinge of sorrow before giving Vahanian an inquisitorial gaze, "where is she now? The body I mean."

Quote from: Ferdinand Greybrook
Looking at the first Templar, Ferdinand straightened up in his seat:

"The Grandmistress is pious, entrusted by the Oracle to deliver her word and now her regent until her return. As per her instruction, the greater evil in the Unholy Order of Mordok should be addressed by all whom worship Obeah, even if this turns a blind eye to Nova..."

That comment particularly made Ferdinand uncomfortable in his suit of armour. He was one of the first to declare that the heretics needed to burn for their blasphemy. Yet, the heathen had grown stronger by the One True Faith's lack of action:

"The crusade has never been truly declared as we have not engaged with the Unholy Order due to the sheer travelling involved. The move to Wudenkin is in large to combat the heathens effectively. While I disagree with the Grandmistress' view on the heretics, I agree that the Order has been left unchecked for too long, with their mass growing by the day. It has been largely inferred that up until recently, Nova will support the war against Thalmarkin. However, the death of your cousin has complicated matters for Obeah's theocracy. Another reason why the Crusade was never truly declared was that the relationship with the once vassal realm was never truly established nor accepted."

Assessing Lavitz's reaction, Ferdinand continued:

"Do you believe the heathen or the heretic needs to be addressed first? What is your interpretation?"

Quote from: Lavitz Gildre
Lavitz drummed his fingers on the table.

"I think, logistically, taking care of this Novan problem is the best thing to do first. If we don't, then we never will be able to. We must destroy this heresy which has rooted so close to us, and then we can worry about the long distance enemy. It is the only way to destroy both."