Author Topic: Acceptable tax limit recalculations  (Read 5704 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Acceptable tax limit recalculations
« Topic Start: July 22, 2011, 06:53:05 AM »
Is there a random factor? If so, how often is it recalculated? It seems that my lords on all continents (AT, BT, and Dwi) are constantly having to change the tax settings, because the same tax rate that allowed stats to stay at 100% for a while have changed their minds and reduced them to about 50% over a few days some weeks later.

It's frustrating and it's a bore. The daily messages are extremely boring, and I tend to skip over them, expecting them to be the same all the time (which they are, 95% of the time), unless I know something is wrong. There's no fun factor in going to modify the tax settings all the time, it feels like being at the stock markets and looking for the first sign of a peak to withdraw (lower tax settings) in order to minimize losses.

Is there a changing random factor, or is it due to weird circumstances? 'Cause Minas Ithil hasn't been growing. Enweil hasn't grown in a while, and D'Hara hasn't grown in even longer, yet I regularly have tax rates that are apparently fine turn into "much too high, hurting production and morale" followed by significant drops.

It didn't use to bother me as much when I had an apparent infinite supply of free time on my hands, but now I'm finding that I'm having less time for interacting with others and making stuff happen because I'm dumping more and more time fiddling with taxes and doing maintenance.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Acceptable tax limit recalculations
« Reply #1: July 22, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »
If morale in the region drops the peasants start complaining louder about taxes that they've previously been fine with. So you could go from Many complaining to hurting production. I've seen even a 10% morale drop cause this change so a simple monster/undead spawning can cause it. It also takes a while for the peasants to get tired and start really complaining of a tax rate that's slightly over what they can't stand.

Also, the peasants won't like it much if there's large disparity between the tax rates of your regions so that might cause problems if your lords fiddle with the tax rate constantly. One has to drop his tax rate from 15% to 12% and suddenly the region next door that is running a 15% tax rate has peasants complaining about the fact that they pay higher taxes than their neighbors and that might push them over to causing taxes to hurt production or cause morale drops that push the peasants there.

Anyway..if you can't stand fiddling with the tax rate, just run a comfortable rate that the peasants don't complain too much about instead of going to the upper limit.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 22, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
I'm not seeing any messages that they complain that their neighbours pay lower taxes. Nor are battles triggering the change.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: July 22, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
They seem kind of random, though maybe a dev, if at all willing and/or allowed to disclose this, might say that there is a ridiculously simple yet hard to guess code (like legendary hero lol) that contributes a certain percentage of...etc

Then again, peasants...what did you expect? They change their minds like yo-yos on a string.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 22, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »
Is there a random factor? If so, how often is it recalculated? It seems that my lords on all continents (AT, BT, and Dwi) are constantly having to change the tax settings, because the same tax rate that allowed stats to stay at 100% for a while have changed their minds and reduced them to about 50% over a few days some weeks later.

There are many factors, but I don't think any of them are random.  They are all recalculated every turn.

Obviously I can't reveal all the factors, but I think it is reasonable to state that one of the factors has to do with average realm size on the continent you're on.

So if you were the third-largest realm, but the two largest ones both had secessions, so that suddenly the average drops and you're the biggest, your acceptable tax rate may drop sharply.  (This actually happened to Pian en Luries when Morek broke up.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 22, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
So if you were the third-largest realm, but the two largest ones both had secessions, so that suddenly the average drops and you're the biggest, your acceptable tax rate may drop sharply.  (This actually happened to Pian en Luries when Morek broke up.)

wow it's nice to know that we influenced continent wide taxes :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 22, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
Caerwyn's recent secession may cause some problems with that, too. Their sudden loss of 30,000 pop, and the creation of a new realm with 30,000 pop will drop the average.  (And also their general loss of regions in the past few weeks as well.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 23, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
Average continental realm size? Never would have thought...

So basically, if every realm is a small realm, then nobody gets to run the crazy tax rates that small realms usually get away with?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 23, 2011, 05:28:57 AM »
Aye.  It's one of the many, godawfully annoying things favoring smaller realms over bigger realms.  And it's one of the (many) reasons why as soon as the southern war ends and we can do it without having to fight a battle about strategic secessions Arcaea is going to split.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 23, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
In other words, destroying Sint would hurt the Enweilian economy. Fronen making a colony in Dyomoque would hurth the Enweilian economy, too.

Great, just what we needed. Give us Fwuvoghor back, you thieves!  ;D

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 23, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »
In other other words, Fwuvoghor, Rines, and Athol Margos seceding from Riombara would drastically lower average realm size, and potentially cause economic collapse in Enweil.

Hmmm....
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 23, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
In other other words, Fwuvoghor, Rines, and Athol Margos seceding from Riombara would drastically lower average realm size, and potentially cause economic collapse in Enweil.

Hmmm....

Or, conversely, Enweil and Fronen splitting up in a bunch of realms would cause Riombara to collapse... :P

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 23, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Or, together, we could all three have tons of secessions, and Sint would collapse. And then the entire bottom half of the continent would be a land of city-states.

Dream come true for me.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 06, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
i imagine i'm getting taxes way too high because enweil split off bits. either that or declaration of war or both.

i think max rates should probably be done via absolute realm size rather than relative

so small realms get help, possibly more help, but big realms won't suddenly get worse because everyone else got smaller. obviously if the big ones got bigger, the tolerance would go down a bit.
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 06, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
i imagine i'm getting taxes way too high because enweil split off bits. either that or declaration of war or both.

i think max rates should probably be done via absolute realm size rather than relative

so small realms get help, possibly more help, but big realms won't suddenly get worse because everyone else got smaller. obviously if the big ones got bigger, the tolerance would go down a bit.

lol, what realm are you in?

I'm guessing Fronen has it worst, though.