Author Topic: OOC power-gaming???  (Read 19325 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: OOC power-gaming???
« Topic Start: May 09, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
So why is everyone, all of a sudden, out to get Thalmarkin and ganging up on them?
It must certainly be OOC powergaming that is to blame. 

Please....please, please, please.

Don't do this.

Don't ever do this.

The other players on Beluaterra are people too. They're just trying to figure things out, the same as you are. They make mistakes, the same as you do.

I get that the situation is very frustrating. I get that Thalmarkin feels very alone in this, and very betrayed. I will be making an important announcement later today that will, I hope, address some of Thalmarkin's concerns.

But the conclusion you are jumping to here—which is an extremely common problem in BattleMaster—is that the only way this could possibly have happened is that the entire rest of the continent is full of dirty rotten people who don't care about anyone's fun.

That's what destroys the ability to work together as players to find a mutually beneficial solution. (Note: not a solution that benefits both sides in a war. A solution that benefits all the players. The players are not here to win wars, because the wars are all fake. Only the players, their feelings and desires, are real. The players are here to have fun creating a story together.)

Instead, I want you to stop and remember that each and every one of them is coming at this from the same perspective as you, relatively speaking: How do I make things best for my realm? How do I find fun the easiest way? How do I maintain my character's, my realm's, my religion's, characterization and roleplay? How do I avoid having to interrupt the story I want to tell because everyone got bored and left/the realm was destroyed/I got banned?

Almost no one is a powergamer.

Almost everyone in the game cares, at least to some extent, about other people's fun.

They just don't know what's going on for those other people. Just like you don't know what's going on in their heads.

Instead of assuming they're Bad People, assume they're Confused Good People, and try to help them.

Please. Please, please, please.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan