Author Topic: WAR  (Read 142209 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: WAR
« Reply #390: November 08, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
I hope it's not another one, honestly.  Would much rather have a bit more time for humanity to move along its own machinations for awhile.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #391: November 09, 2011, 01:10:04 AM »
As a player i don't think anything is happening, it's just coincidence, confirmation bias what ever.
But of course, every little sign gets us Beluaterrans on our toes.

As a player, I doubt it too. But they are really being a problem. When the invasion ended, a bunch of them appeared as these were the ones that hadn't been recruited during the invasion. They were killed. Then when Iato seceded, a whole bunch spawned again, but these were rather small hordes, so I figured they were leftovers as well.

These hordes are sometimes coming from the blight (mostly), but sometimes spawning in great numbers in our own lands as well. One 4000 CS horde has been coming back and forth between Drinilla/Tsamn and the blighted regions by Ete. Iato has faced a few large hordes, they came from the blight though I believe.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #392: November 09, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »
Riombara had to face quite a few undead and monster units last week as well - 5-6 total, most at a strength of around 2000, one stronger than 3000. Did play hell with a carefully orchestrated refit cycle...  :)

Before that there was not a peep of them to be seen for 3-4 weeks. With the current resurgence I (as player) speculate that there was a bug somewhere that has been corrected and is now serving us with those units we would have seen during that time.

And aye, please let there not be a new invasion right now...times are far too interesting for that.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #393: November 09, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
Riombara had to face quite a few undead and monster units last week as well - 5-6 total, most at a strength of around 2000, one stronger than 3000. Did play hell with a carefully orchestrated refit cycle...  :)

Before that there was not a peep of them to be seen for 3-4 weeks. With the current resurgence I (as player) speculate that there was a bug somewhere that has been corrected and is now serving us with those units we would have seen during that time.

And aye, please let there not be a new invasion right now...times are far too interesting for that.

Meh, some old enemies, stagnant wars devoid of emotion and RP.

I really would have wished for a colonization phase like after all the previous invasions. But it doesn't feel like there is enough nobles left for that.

I always found the previous invasions to come in too soon. Now, I'm kinda wishing the next one won't be too far off.

I never wanted BT to fall, but now I kinda wish it does, so that it gets an epic ending instead of slow decay.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #394: November 09, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
Wars devoid of emotion?!? Personally I doubt that there is lack of emotion in Fronen, Old Grehk and Thalmarkin. As to Riombara I can attest that there is quite a bit of emotion (and even quite a bit of RP) and I very much doubt that Enweil feels complacent or bored. What is happening within IVF? I thought that the whole point of its creation was to get things moving...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #395: November 09, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
We got about 3.5k of undead sitting on one of our regions, and lost a different one.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #396: November 09, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
Or an unexpected revival!

Seriously though, there's no worse time for an invasion. Yes there's a whole lot of bottlenecks making wars progress slowly, but they sure are progressing. Though I certainly would've preferred a colonization period as well, but there's always next post-invasion! *fingers crossed*

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #397: November 09, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
So many undead everywhere...

And in our campaigns, we never really got to do anything. Takes a while to reach our enemies. First two times, looting was bugged, so we strolled around not being able to do anything. Then we supported Enweil, but they eventually had to refit so we were forced to do the same. Then we went to help Fronen, but a random large OG army prevented us from looting Nothoi, so we just stared at each other for a little while until they went elsewhere.

I don't think those in Enweil are very interested in fighting the same war AGAIN, especially since it lost way too many nobles and regions in the invasion. Feels like fighting the same old brat that kept annoying the hell out of you for years despite you kicking his ass, but this time someone came and broke your leg to give him an advantage.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #398: November 09, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
but this time someone came and broke your leg to give him an advantage.

You mean you?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #399: November 09, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
Wars devoid of emotion?!? Personally I doubt that there is lack of emotion in Fronen, Old Grehk and Thalmarkin. As to Riombara I can attest that there is quite a bit of emotion (and even quite a bit of RP) and I very much doubt that Enweil feels complacent or bored. What is happening within IVF? I thought that the whole point of its creation was to get things moving...

I dunno, the war in Fronen is pretty lame. It's horribly one-sided for one, so there's not much we get to do other than launch raids when we can and other than that sit around and wait for the next big push, but our enemies won't let us surrender. I mean they offered us terms, but they're absurdly harsh. The Senate can't swallow them, but they won't budge on their major demands. So, we keep fighting this lame war that our enemies can't seem to win despite having an enormous advantage over us.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #400: November 09, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
random large OG army prevented us from looting Nothoi

What, the army just happened to be there randomly?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #401: November 09, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »
You mean you?

No, the invasion.

Thanks to it, Enweil lost Fwuvoghor to Riombara, Fengen, Enweilieos, and Fheuvenem were severely damaged, Ete City and many other regions were blighted, others turned rogue, more than a fourth of the nobles were killed, massive undead spawn prevented rebuilding of the realm's strength and economy before Rio attacked, etc.

Rio is stronger than it was before the last invasion began, Enweil is weaker than ever, and Fheuv'n has nothing to do with it.

And since so few realms remain, there is no change to come any time soon. It's not as if you can sway your neighbour that your enemy is really the one that deserves a beating. The camps are set, and there are too few actors for things to be able to change.

If the North hadn't attacked, at least we'd have a new realm around Dyomoque. And Riombara probably wouldn't have dared to attack, so perhaps it could have fought internally instead to see things change there.

But no. Rio attacks just because it can. The north's reasons were about as developped as that too. And because of that war, and because the aggressors don't really want peace, everyone is stuck maintaining the status quo, with some progress here and there but not much more than that.

What, the army just happened to be there randomly?

No, I don't suspect the army goes out of its way THAT much for no reason at all. However, I find it rather random that it would mobilize such force to defend Nothoi in such a way. Doesn't seem like the most efficient use of its resources to me. Nothoi is a useless ally to the North, may as well let us have a bit of fun and loot it instead of doing such total cock blocks.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #402: November 09, 2011, 08:07:02 PM »
And because of that war, and because the aggressors don't really want peace, everyone is stuck maintaining the status quo, with some progress here and there but not much more than that.

Yeah, no progress at all. It's not like Enweil's military strength is in steady decline, or like Riombara is steadily advancing deeper and deeper into Enweilian territory.

A slow and bloody war does not mean a static war.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #403: November 09, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
Yeah, no progress at all. It's not like Enweil's military strength is in steady decline, or like Riombara is steadily advancing deeper and deeper into Enweilian territory.

No, that's not progress; that's the opposite of progress! See, "progress" only counts as such if it's in the direction of Chénier's interests, not against them! ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #404: November 09, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »

A slow and bloody war does not mean a static war.

The gap is not significant, and largely attributable to large unusual hordes keeping Fheuv'n out of the picture since a while.

A while ago, the stats showed Rio vastly superior, yet Enweil caught up not that long ago. Then, a decline again. Before you took Lopa and attacked Enweilieos, Enweil was occupying Kuugl and doing a BTO (looting being bugged and preventing the takeover from being completed in time). Rio also lost Droxago.

It's a pendulum. If the undead continue to spawn in large numbers in Fheuv'n or if you manage to maintain these assets when Fheuv'n returns, then it'll be significant progress on your part. However, if Fheuv'n came with it's full army tomorrow, I'm not convinced that the Confederates will not be back in Kuugl doing a TO as you seem to suggest.

No, that's not progress; that's the opposite of progress! See, "progress" only counts as such if it's in the direction of Chénier's interests, not against them! ;D

"Progress" is measured in solid trends. The successful attack on Enweilieos is important, indeed, but time will tell if the impact will be that great or not.