Author Topic: Lurian Empire  (Read 61521 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Empire
« Reply #60: August 15, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
By the way, what would be the fun of having three hegemonies? They'd be way to far away from each other to go to war, anyway.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: August 15, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
where does this come from?

3 Evil Blood Stars, 2 Good Gods (Tyr and Zisa)
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Zakilevo

« Reply #62: August 15, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »
wth is try and zisa? is that something coming out from VE?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: August 15, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
Recycled gods from older, failed religions. They were used in Order of St. Iestyn. They may have been used in other religions before that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #64: August 15, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
huh gods from a dead religion.. is Luria nova using these gods to form their own religion?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: August 15, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
They are being used by a sect of the Manifest Path. They call themselves the Path of the Gods, I think. It's on the wiki.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #66: August 15, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
Poor heretics. They must also be touched by the lights of the bloodstars...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: August 16, 2011, 03:29:48 AM »
Recycled gods from older, failed religions. They were used in Order of St. Iestyn. They may have been used in other religions before that.

They are importations from other games and RL that have been recycled and re-used by the same players now about 6 times, and every time is a flop.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: August 16, 2011, 07:56:30 AM »
I particularly dislike Tyr. What is he, a god that lost one hand to a giant wolf or something? Who could believe in such a thing?  ::)
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: August 16, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »
They are importations from other games and RL that have been recycled and re-used by the same players now about 6 times, and every time is a flop.

Odd I have only had one noble character that joined winter '10 :S Not sure where I am reusing it to... I believe the Order was only finally abandoned after Drystan left PeL after the Coup, and since I have always strongly rped as a devout follower of the two gods, albeit lacking in knowledge due to realm politics and Sacha after everyone's blood, I hardly think it would suit such a character to just give up and try a new one. We are talking of Religions and Gods here, not Guilds and Lovers.

And no, our Tyr is not a god who lost a hand to a giant wolf... strange idea though

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: August 16, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
And no, our Tyr is not a god who lost a hand to a giant wolf... strange idea though

Tyr and Zisa are RL Mythology Gods, specifically of the Nordic Mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BDr

I personally find it quite unappealing, as a fair deal of creative process is skipped by importing already existing lore.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:25:50 AM by JPierreD »
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: August 16, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »
Odd I have only had one noble character that joined winter '10 :S Not sure where I am reusing it to... I believe the Order was only finally abandoned after Drystan left PeL after the Coup, and since I have always strongly rped as a devout follower of the two gods, albeit lacking in knowledge due to realm politics and Sacha after everyone's blood, I hardly think it would suit such a character to just give up and try a new one. We are talking of Religions and Gods here, not Guilds and Lovers.

Yggdrassil, Order of St. Iestyn, and several sects of other religions all involved the Bellator family, and all revolved around Tyr and Zisa.

My biggest complaint is just that Tyr and Zisa are importations from RL and other games.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: August 16, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
Tyr and Zisa are RL Mythology Gods, specifically of the Nordic Mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BDr

I personally find it quite unappealing, as a fair deal of creative process is skipped by importing already existing lore.

They might indeed have a place in RL but again I state that My Tyr has both his hands thank you. Infact I doubt there is many similarities at all between him and his RL counterpart, or Zisa's though I have not looked into it.

I ask where have I imported existing lore? Aside from an IC religion?

I find it very much more unappealing and quite distasteful for a character who is devout to one religion one day, to simple switch to a completely new one that holds nothing the same, the next day. Its stinks of plain old powergaming and OOC "Knowledge of the Universe" as we called it.

The process should take weeks, even months if not years. My Tyr and Zisa might be very similar to the Order's but there are subtle differences that suggest a new interpretation of the religion, or as one would say it, an evolution of the understanding of it.

You must also find it very annoying that every religion ingame can find an aspect of it in a RL counterpart... Heck almost everything we do has such!

Vellos, they may indeed revolve around the Bellator family. But what is more wrong: Following the roleplay and the religion of which you were very devout and trying to find some sort of compromise or something which you can grab ahold of and hold on to in a new one? Or just straight up converting even after roleplaying a devout religious worshipper and converting to an apparently atheistic religion straight off the bat?

To me the second one is OOC, distasteful and frankly bad roleplay in the extreme. It should be a long and emotionally charged and painful experience. You have just realized your gods are not real/do not care. Your temples have fallen, your priests are dead or have left. You need to work out what has happened and reconcile it with your personal faith. You will need time to understand and come to terms with it.

That or you are the sort of person who would happily bury his child one day and that night go out for a long party and have fun, maybe pick someone up...

Yes Bellator imported the names from RL and other games... and? So what.... many of the religions in BM have similar things or straight off just rip things directly and spice it up a little...

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: August 16, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
if you can figure out what i based the word off of, i'll give you a cookie.

the most successful religions are original and simple enough for people to easily follow. you can see where i made an error LOL

copying the name of an already existing god is kinda lazy tbh

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: August 16, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »
if you can figure out what i based the word off of, i'll give you a cookie.

the most successful religions are original and simple enough for people to easily follow. you can see where i made an error LOL

copying the name of an already existing god is kinda lazy tbh

Mighten you have a Wiki Link to your one? Because 'the word' itself could be in reference to a number of already existing 'religions' in RL/othergames.
If it is literally 'The Word' then, without any reference to your one, I will give my first guess as the 'religion' created by Terry Brooks in the 'Genesis of Shannara' trilogy and its associated stories.

It might be lazy but as I have already stated, I feel it is even worse to simply lose religion and convert in the space of less than a week. As a devout follower of the Lurian religion, it would be like loosing Tyr and Zisa and converting to Sanguis Astroism without even leaving Luria... it just wouldnt happen (Amaury doesnt count since he went to SA lands anyway :P). Bellator made the religion Ramiel followed, he is now adapting and evolving the religion. Yes the gods will still be named Tyr and Zisa. Get over it ;)