Author Topic: Lurian Empire  (Read 61537 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Empire
« Reply #90: August 18, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
The secession of Shinnen? What RP basis exists for that?

Why does it matter?

There is no realm that Shinnen is closer to than Giask.  That would be the only reason one would be able to claim it was a strategic secession—particularly when Luria Nova isn't at war with anyone.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: August 18, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
Why does it matter?

There is no realm that Shinnen is closer to than Giask.  That would be the only reason one would be able to claim it was a strategic secession—particularly when Luria Nova isn't at war with anyone.

Not yet it isn't. It just feels like one of the reasons for a Lurian Empire is higher efficiency, among others by having three capitals, instead of one. Isn't creating a tight confederation like that circumventing the "recruit in i the capital only" mechanic? Certainly if one person would become Emperor, ruling all confederate states.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: August 18, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
Not yet it isn't. It just feels like one of the reasons for a Lurian Empire is higher efficiency, among others by having three capitals, instead of one. Isn't creating a tight confederation like that circumventing the "recruit in i the capital only" mechanic? Certainly if one person would become Emperor, ruling all confederate states.

It would in my opinion make for a more historical gameplay, allowing duchies to be more self-relying. So I would encourage them to create such a situation!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: August 18, 2011, 05:44:44 PM »
The secession of Shinnen? What RP basis exists for that?

What are you talking about? Shinnen didn't secede...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: August 18, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »

No its not circumvention, its a well planned Roleplay and Recruitment tactic. It opens up positions that will hopefully bring us more sheep. As for the roleplay, as I said just because you dont see it, doesnt mean its not happening.

And as Anaris said, we're not at war with anyone, how the hell are you claiming its strategic?

Just because Fissoa is yet again going to be invaded, do not start complaining and trying to find OOC defences...
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: August 18, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
Just because Fissoa is yet again going to be invaded, do not start complaining and trying to find OOC defences...

Lmao. Why does the rule even exist then?
You're saying the RP exists. That's easy to claim if you lay out the whole plan on the Forums ...
Besides, isn't it usually the party that will take a disadvantage that's questioning the way things happen? -__-'

But I'm not having any illusions about this, whatever I say will only work against me.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: August 18, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »
You're saying the RP exists. That's easy to claim if you lay out the whole plan on the Forums ...
Besides, isn't it usually the party that will take a disadvantage that's questioning the way things happen? -__-'

But I'm not having any illusions about this, whatever I say will only work against me.

Look, Shizzle, I want Greater Luria to fall just about as much as anyone at this point, and I seriously don't see a case here.

1) Shinnen is no closer to Fissoa than Giask is.  Therefore, there is no significant recruitment advantage gained.
2) Alanna was planning to create a colony in Shinnen back even before Myern existed.  Those plans were carried forward, albeit in different form, by the people who overthrew her.

Of course, given that (1) is true, (2) isn't even relevant.

By your logic, Shizzle, no one should ever be able to secede, because every realm has tense relations with some other realm, and they might someday want to go to war with them.

For a secession to be strategic, and therefore forbidden, it must confer a recruitment advantage!
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: August 18, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
For a secession to be strategic, and therefore forbidden, it must confer a recruitment advantage!

Wouldn't a secession, technically, always benefit recruitment? Don't smaller realms have lower recruitment costs for their units? So if the realm gets smaller, there is an advantage...  ;)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: August 18, 2011, 06:36:26 PM »
Considering the decreased efficiency coming from the need of coordinating more nobles, I'd say that's not really a huge advantage.

As far as I know, friendly secessions done with the purpose of managing a territory otherwise unmanageable have always been ok. The only thing would be waiting that the war that brought you to take these territories (if any), ends.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: August 18, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Look, Shizzle, I want Greater Luria to fall just about as much as anyone at this point, and I seriously don't see a case here.

1) Shinnen is no closer to Fissoa than Giask is.  Therefore, there is no significant recruitment advantage gained.
2) Alanna was planning to create a colony in Shinnen back even before Myern existed.  Those plans were carried forward, albeit in different form, by the people who overthrew her.

Of course, given that (1) is true, (2) isn't even relevant.

By your logic, Shizzle, no one should ever be able to secede, because every realm has tense relations with some other realm, and they might someday want to go to war with them.

Thanks for the explanation, Anaris. I can follow your reasoning now, and that probably saves me frustration in the long run :)

@Fleugs: new realms start over with low-quality RC's, and there's always a risk of the seceded realm to forget it's roots :P

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: August 18, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Anaris. I can follow your reasoning now, and that probably saves me frustration in the long run :)

@Fleugs: new realms start over with low-quality RC's, and there's always a risk of the seceded realm to forget it's roots :P

Exactly, what if Shinnen doesnt comply with Sacha? Then there is no strategic succession and you can stop QQing.

Heck you have an alliance with PeL, thats the only reason Sacha hasnt taken Fissoa already. If I were you I would stop making OOC nonsense claims and start working on keeping PeL happy enough to keep their alliance. As soon as thats gone, Mr Amaury will probably march down there.

Quote from: Shizzle

It exists to stop strategic succession when its apparent it conveys a bonus and was only done as such. This doesnt apply to any of the 7 Lurian Kingdoms because they have been planned out since before the Lurian Civil War of PeL v Giask was drawn to a close.
I have not layed out the whole plan on the forum, and actually most of the details are being discussed ingame using a Religion, a Guild and I sincerely suspect the Leadership of both.

Yes I guess they do, but making silly false claims just gets annoying. I have been on both sides (not BM) but I think it would still apply. Its simple, we gain no bonus of having 7 smaller realms than 3 larger ones other than in terms of Noble Recruitment, and ingame politics, culture etc etc etc etc etc - basically what we are trying to make. Or are you going to suggest that all of SA be one or two realms as well?

Only if what you say can be taken as QQing for a possible future event and hence OOC powergaming to try and stop said possible event. This reminds me of a certain person pausing after learning fully OOC about a future IC action to try and circumvent said action.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: August 18, 2011, 07:21:52 PM »
I have no clue what QQing even means, and as I said, I understand the reasoning better now. So stop the flamewar, already :)

And implying things like ''stop making OOC accusations or PeL will renounce it's alliance'' is simply stupid.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: August 18, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
I have no clue what QQing even means, and as I said, I understand the reasoning better now. So stop the flamewar, already :)

And implying things like ''stop making OOC accusations or PeL will renounce it's alliance'' is simply stupid.

If you pressed alt+QQ (twice Q) in DOTA, you quitted the game instantly. It were often ragequits and is originally referred to as such ("Oh, just QQ already!").

I might be a nerd.

EDIT: probably a warcraft-term too.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: August 18, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
If you pressed alt+QQ (twice Q) in DOTA, you quitted the game instantly. It were often ragequits and is originally referred to as such ("Oh, just QQ already!").

I might be a nerd.

EDIT: probably a warcraft-term too.

I've played Warcraft before. Never liked DotA, though.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: August 18, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »

I wasnt aware I said such a thing. Indeed I suggested it might be a better use of your time to instead of making claims, work on your diplomatic relations with PeL. I certainly never meant to suggest that PeL would renounce its alliance... more why should they work on it when the other side aint...