Author Topic: Bribing your way to a lordship (and other unorthodox ways of getting it)  (Read 4704 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
What ways are there these days except getting appointed by ruler or duke?

You used to be able to bribe your way to a lordship (if the region had no lord at the moment), making you the new lord immediately if it succeeded. That seems to be gone in favor of bribing your way to a claim instead? But the claims seems rather worthless.

So what other ways are there? I know priests can make their followers rebell and put the priest as local lord of the region...
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
You can still bribe your way to Lordship. Sometimes peasants will revolt against their present Lord and put someone else in power. Priests can claim regions.

Don't know about any other ways.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
You can still bribe your way to Lordship.

Really? The only options I ever see are these:
Buy a claim to this region... - some bribery and creative heritage tracing should do. - Gives only a claim which, according to my present belief, is close to worthless.
Buy this region... - use your family wealth to corrupt the local government. - Buys the entire region from another realm and brings it to your realm, making you the local lord in the process. Costs several thousand gold even for quite poor regions.

The old bribing to lordship was done in your own realm. If it still exists, how come I haven't seen it?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Really? The only options I ever see are these:
Buy a claim to this region... - some bribery and creative heritage tracing should do. - Gives only a claim which, according to my present belief, is close to worthless.
Buy this region... - use your family wealth to corrupt the local government. - Buys the entire region from another realm and brings it to your realm, making you the local lord in the process. Costs several thousand gold even for quite poor regions.

The old bribing to lordship was done in your own realm. If it still exists, how come I haven't seen it?
It does not exist anymore. You can buy regions from other realms, but not lordships for regions already inside your realm.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It does not exist anymore. You can buy regions from other realms, but not lordships for regions already inside your realm.

Yes, that is what I figured.

So what is the point of claims really?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So what is the point of claims really?
If a noble has a claim to the region, then they can be appointed as lord without either the noble or the ruler/duke needing to be in the region.

Also, if the noble with the strongest claim to the region is not appointed as lord, then the peasants may get angry, causing lowered stats. The effect depends on the strength of the ignored claim.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
If a noble has a claim to the region, then they can be appointed as lord without either the noble or the ruler/duke needing to be in the region.

Also, if the noble with the strongest claim to the region is not appointed as lord, then the peasants may get angry, causing lowered stats. The effect depends on the strength of the ignored claim.

Yes, but in practice, do ruler/dukes care about this? It does not seem like it from my point of view.

Also, I forgot to ask before, why was the buying of lordships (in your own realm) removed? It seemed to be excellent for creating innovative and exciting events.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 05:03:28 PM by Kain »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yes, but in practice, do ruler/dukes care about this? It does not seem like it from my point of view.

It depends on the realm. In Madina we care quite a lot about claims, but in Ohnar West/Giblot I haven't seen any mention of claims making a difference. I guess if you have a strong enough claim then you can make the case that it'll be too much hassle not to appoint you (they have to move there, then the courtiers have to fix the region up). If you're not happy, you can always move realms :D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It makes it easy to appoint nobles with claims. And when it's a 3 day journey to the region to appoint the noble you would prefer, many times people will accept their second choice because it's just more convenient. Also, avoiding that bit of discontent can be very helpful when the region is already marginal.

Also, I forgot to ask before, why was the buying of lordships (in your own realm) removed? It seemed to be excellent for creating innovative and exciting events.
It's the same as the "question nobility" thing. It was widely misunderstood by a significant portion of the players, and caused lots of problems.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It depends. Some Realms do indeed care about claims, but generally only when Lordship is appointed. I haven't seen people really caring about it during Elections. And if the region is in bad enough shape, it can mean the difference between keeping and losing it. A strong claim can then be quite convenient. It's all about the right opportunity.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Mostly, I find claims matter when the region is at less than good stats, especially recent takeovers or if the old lord was thrown out by revolt.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It's the same as the "question nobility" thing. It was widely misunderstood by a significant portion of the players, and caused lots of problems.

Yes, that one vanished too. In what way were they widely misunderstood and what kind of problems did it cause? Forgive a man who had his characters paused for 4 years ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

If the region needs a lord *now*, and they aren't close to it, then they will care for the ability to appoint remotely.

Otherwise, claims are mostly ignored because they work in funky ways that does not match with RP. They notably deteriorate too quickly and aren't given for RP things that would clearly deserve it but that the game can't calculate.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron