Author Topic: Oh, Itaulond...  (Read 15517 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, Itaulond...
« Reply #30: August 29, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
the funny thing is that all the difference is coming from new players who would eventually join. so if some new players, do join, some interesting things will be possible, and that is also excellent opportunity for nobles to feel how their presence means much. the fact that there are only 4 nobles just means that 4-5 new nobles would change things radically and offer many experiences.
Sorry, but I completely disagree with you. I don't think that the play experience a new player could get right now in Itaulond is the kind of experience that a brand new player should get for his first realm.

the fact that some badass enemy can come and destroy everything only adds to thrill to anyone who wants somewhat different approach, and achieving something, anything against odds can also provide incomparably larger satisfaction compared to very predictable wars.
Perhaps if you're the kind of player that likes sitting a realm that can't do anything, has no gold, can't recruit a meaningful army, is hated by everyone around it, and is just waiting for the executioner's axe to fall (or the next 3K CS monster group), then Itaulond is for you. Somehow, I highly doubt that this is the experience that a new player wants. And, after all, we're talking about new players here.

that's my wording ??? i was thinking of tweaks - even without any further efforts of devs with tweaks, game could prove itself to be much deeper only if more players adopt different approaches to gamplay, of course being completely within fair-play practice
Sure, the game could be more diverse if players do different things. But that has absolutely nothing to do with brand new players joining hopeless realms. Brand new players aren't what Itaulond needs to survive. If it wants to survive, it needs to either cooperate with its neighbors (which, let's be honest, isn't going to happen until Amandil leaves), or get a huge infusion of *experienced* players. And these experienced players are not going to let my random comments on the forum influence them. Heck, some of them may take it as a challenge. :)

my personal feeling of approach you seem to be presenting is something like ultimate pragmatism, like "i want to be on winning side all the time, i want to win every day, every turn, and everything which obstructs me in that path should be abandoned as it is stupid"
So you think I'm here on the forums trying to metagame people into not joining realms that stand in my way?

to go back to forum-level discussion at its basics - are you really sure that all players want straightforward path?
All players? Of course not. But, again, that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Which is new players being influenced forum discussions about realms. We want new players to have good experiences. As many as possible, as quickly as possible. My personal feeling is that a realm such as Itaulond would not provide that. It has absolutely nothing to do with my characters or their IC goals. I have been know to recommend to new players that they not join certain realms that my characters are in, or to join realms that my characters are currently fighting. Because I think those realms do or do not offer a good play experience, not because their choice would somehow help me win the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.