Author Topic: Help with characters?  (Read 24278 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Help with characters?
« Reply #15: August 14, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
In the South, magic has always been illegal. It is the stuff of evil, the evil the destroyed the north, the corruption that makes monsters out of men. There isn't one specific reason for it being illegal, there are thousands.
Basically, it is the nerve gas, the chemical weapon of the SM world.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 14, 2011, 03:18:46 PM »
Can my character also have a controversial job, like let's say executioner/inguisitor in the south? For local peasant born there, a job like that would be the perfect disguisse.
He'd even be able to get to some places others will not be able to be so easily.

Or are those npcs?
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 14, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
I thought of making a navigator. Someone who lives by trading between the regions, and sometimes trading magical items to places they're not supposed to be, and whose magic would be focused on water, of course.

I'm not entirely certain if there is a place for magical items in the game? I can probably work the character a bit differently if not.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 14, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
Part of me wants to toy with creating a Chronomancer, but the majority of me knows that's creating hell for any GM and probably forcing more mechanics that were never intended. So I will likely go another route.

Time travel would have a duration of infinity so is impossible.  Most other sorts of manipulations of time (speeding it up in one place) would have a size that would be infinite (go go gadget entanglement), as really you're manipulating all of space and so would be impossible.  It'd also generally violate the realism rules as time travel is impossible, as is manipulation of the speed of time.  Sorry, it's true.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 14, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
It'd also generally violate the realism rules as time travel is impossible, as is manipulation of the speed of time.  Sorry, it's true.

Time travel is no less realistic than most anything else accounting for magic in the mix. Just saying. But I know what you're getting at. Hence, why I hinted it would be a GM nightmare, and why games largely have rules against it.  Don't worry, I'm doing something else. Just haven't decided what yet.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:17:14 PM by Morningstar »

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 14, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
Time travel is no less realistic than most anything else accounting for magic in the mix. Just saying. But I know what you're getting at. Hence, why I hinted it would be a GM nightmare, and why games largely have rules against it.  Don't worry, I'm doing something else. Just haven't decided what yet.

No even accounting for magic, it violates the laws of physics.  Every other kind of magic could be accounted for by other real physical phenomena, even mental communication could just be a really well developed EM that talks directly to the brains of the recipient or reads the electrical signals of the recipient.  Walking through walls could be as simple as a really unlikely quantum event that enough energy could in theory overcome.  Time travel simply is impossible, as is manipulating time.  It simply violates C or the energy requirements are simply too huge.

And our system easily handles time manipulation with the aforementioned infinity problems, which cause them to violate realism.

That's not to say that you can't have something move really fast, it's just that you can't use space-time as your base.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 14, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »
You could do "speed up time" or "slow down time" effects, using the Haste spell idea (it's not that everything else is moving slower, it's that you are moving faster), yes?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 14, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
Sure, if you yourself want to move faster you can try that.  But don't be surprised if someone RPs you slipping on a pebble you didn't see, running into an opening door etc.  Your reactions and momentum do not similarly speed up or become less of an issue respectively just b/c you are going faster.

You could similarly slow things down by acting against their motions, but your spell will have to be specific don't forget.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 14, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »
Sure, if you yourself want to move faster you can try that.  But don't be surprised if someone RPs you slipping on a pebble you didn't see, running into an opening door etc.  Your reactions and momentum do not similarly speed up or become less of an issue respectively just b/c you are going faster.

Would it be possible to design a spell that would improve your perceptions and reactions to compensate? It would mean that a truly effective Haste spell would require two spells to work, but it would at least achieve the effect.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #24: August 14, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
Or maybe curse someone to age very quickly for a duration of time?

For my character, he will be using weird spells. Chicken launcher! Falling Boar....

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 14, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
(it's not that everything else is moving slower, it's that you are moving faster)

Again intent, if you're trying to do a straight up time manipulation then  you moving faster means everything else is moving slower, and so your effect size becomes infinite.  But see above for a 'realistic' way of going faster.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 14, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
Or maybe curse someone to age very quickly for a duration of time?

For my character, he will be using weird spells. Chicken launcher! Falling Boar....

These are all starting to be really hyper specific, but yes.  Death/decay would neatly cover that.  Effect 4/5 depending, Target 2 Duration 1/2 depending on preference.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 14, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
Would it be possible to design a spell that would improve your perceptions and reactions to compensate? It would mean that a truly effective Haste spell would require two spells to work, but it would at least achieve the effect.

Sure why not?  But it would have a different intent and base.  And you'd have to train that intent class to cast both efficiently.  Just remember that spells are very specific and that to cast two spells that would overlap in time you'd have to at least have one that is a duration of 2 and a 1 or if the second one is a 2 than the first spell will be a 2 as well.

So your perception spell would be a 3*2*2 at the low end and your speed spell would be another 3*2*2 for a total power of 32 for both of them.  And you might have some nice windburn on your face without protection.  So if you wanted to go really fast better not peel the skin off your face from friction with the air.

For 32 power you could raze an entire village into dust 5*5*1

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 14, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »
As a general aside, the SM3 world is not the BM world at all.  So they can be the same character, but their history from BM will not carry over.  I mean I don't remember any Dragons in BM, at least not yet :-X

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 14, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
If I did bring her, she'd definitely use her body as her energy store, and be generally fire-focused.  And kinda evil.

Evil is fun!  Just ask James.  Some general things to know might be what your characters want.  Power, mundane or magical, money, women/men, worshipers, realms at their beck and call, to know the secrets of everyone else etc.