Author Topic: Replied message  (Read 7407 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Replied message
« Reply #15: August 24, 2011, 07:18:38 AM »
Agreed.  The rationale for saying no made sense when too many messages was a serious game problem.  Nowadays?  Yeah, not so much.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 24, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
Is it really that hard to respond to all the good old fashion way? I haven't even noticed it for years, it just the way you do it.

Put it this way. Has there ever been a time that you would have send a message but then thought not to because there was no "reply all" button?

No I am pretty sure I replied, but the discussions are often cut short since it is such a hassle to find and mark every name every time you answer. Therefore it may actually lead to less message sending in general. Not much, but it probably contributes in some circumstances.
Any time you want to talk to a group that does not have it's own message group somewhere.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

cjnodell

« Reply #17: August 24, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »
Unless there is a specific reason I usually respond to messages while keeping the same audience of the original message. If the original message was to the entire realm, my response to the message will usually be to the entire realm. As Indirik said, the lack of a "Reply to List" button never deters me but the extra work can be irritating. Especially when I want to reference the original message. Really a minor thing though!

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 24, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
Yeah, more than anything all the "reply to..." buttons are nice because I don't have to pop open another tab just to able to reference the letter I'm responding to.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 06, 2011, 05:32:15 AM »
Put it this way. Has there ever been a time that you would have send a message but then thought not to because there was no "reply all" button?

Yes, when I'm short on time I am more critical on what I deem worthy of replying to.

And considering that there are many lightweight players around, I deem it likely that this happens to a good number of them too.

Because don't forget that in addition of having to click on more links to write your message, you also do not get the message you are replying to under your message, making it more of a hassle for looking up parts of the message you want to address in your own.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 06, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
i do notice that when someone send a message to selected multiple people, there's no reply to those same people.

is that desirable? stops unofficial cliques i imagine.. official cliques have official message groups and their "reply to list" bit..
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 06, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »
i do notice that when someone send a message to selected multiple people, there's no reply to those same people.

is that desirable? stops unofficial cliques i imagine.. official cliques have official message groups and their "reply to list" bit..
That is intentional. The game intentionally limits who you can communicate with, and the way in which you do so. Say, for example, a guild elder sends messages to selected members, including some aspirants. Guild Aspirants are not allowed to selectively choose recipients in the guild, so a Reply-to-List link would let someone use a reply style that the system intentionally denies them from using.

This ability to control communications, and arbitrarily group nobles is one of the primary features of guilds. If this ability was granted to everyone, without the need for guilds and guildhouses, then guilds would become mostly superfluous. This is why the Contacts list only lets you send messages to one noble at a time.

If we let you select individual nobles from different lists, and then gave everyone "reply to list" links, then we might as well jsut give everyone a list of all nobles on the island, and let them pick and choose from that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #22: September 06, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
I think that the restriction on who one can talk to are a good thing. At the same time, if everyone on the list is someone you are allowed to talk to I would love to have the reply button there. Or have it always be there and strip those whom you could not normally message. I think I would prefer he first option though...