Author Topic: What realm should I join?  (Read 33821 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: What realm should I join?
« Reply #60: October 02, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
Depends which front line, for there are plenty!

Just don't join Melhed.  You'll never see war. >.>

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: October 02, 2011, 11:30:13 PM »
Depends which front line, for there are plenty!

Just don't join Melhed.  You'll never see war. >.>

As I understood it, they would stand with Enweil against Riombara, so that frontline is the one I'm thinking about :p

Yeah, I got it. My girlfriend looked at the map and pointed to Melhed and said I should send a char there basing it all on their cute flag with the paw on it.

Needless to say, I won't  be taking her advice this time ;)
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: October 02, 2011, 11:31:51 PM »
lol for Melhed's paw.

Fheuv'n has two fronts, well three actually. Southern Rio, Northern Rio, and Nothoi. They are all about the same distance from Fheuvenem, however.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: October 02, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
lol for Melhed's paw.

Fheuv'n has two fronts, well three actually. Southern Rio, Northern Rio, and Nothoi. They are all about the same distance from Fheuvenem, however.

Hmm northern Rio? I somehow got the theory into my head that perhaps you couldn't walk there due to the blight. It looks like it is so far between Rio's northern city and the Enweil region next to it. Like there was another region once upon a time there that you had to travel through to get between them but that is now under blight. Maybe not then?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: October 02, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
Hmm northern Rio? I somehow got the theory into my head that perhaps you couldn't walk there due to the blight. It looks like it is so far between Rio's northern city and the Enweil region next to it. Like there was another region once upon a time there that you had to travel through to get between them but that is now under blight. Maybe not then?

We actually already attacked it.

The attack failed 'cause Enweil didn't bring enough men, but we then proceeded to do a looting run of the islands.

Which failed because looting was bugged...

But we very much do intend to have more success next time, assuming looting is fixed (again). Really did remind us of when we went to play whack-a-mole in Nothoi, but looting was bugged so we couldn't do anything else than pick off the disorganized Nothoi army. I'm going to be really annoyed if a third bug comes up when we are ready to loot next time.

It takes us multiple days to get to the target, but we don't just stay for one battle and then refit. We try to do the most of our campaigns, because even a defeated army can rally up some strength to continue being useful.

Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: October 02, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »
We actually already attacked it.

The attack failed 'cause Enweil didn't bring enough men, but we then proceeded to do a looting run of the islands.

Which failed because looting was bugged...

But we very much do intend to have more success next time, assuming looting is fixed (again). Really did remind us of when we went to play whack-a-mole in Nothoi, but looting was bugged so we couldn't do anything else than pick off the disorganized Nothoi army. I'm going to be really annoyed if a third bug comes up when we are ready to loot next time.

It takes us multiple days to get to the target, but we don't just stay for one battle and then refit. We try to do the most of our campaigns, because even a defeated army can rally up some strength to continue being useful.

The programming Gods do seem to be against ya ;) Luckily for Riombara. But perhaps they have a story of failed looting of their own? :)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: October 02, 2011, 11:58:35 PM »
The programming Gods do seem to be against ya ;) Luckily for Riombara. But perhaps they have a story of failed looting of their own? :)

They traditionally are more looting-shy than we are, though they missed out on a bit as well. However, they only got to a handful of Enweil regions, looting them wouldn't have dented Enweil's economy. Us looting all of their isles *would* have dented their fragile food balance, however.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: October 03, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
So Riombara doesn't loot because it is "looting shy", but when it applies to you, it's a big bad bug? How convenient.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: October 03, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
Its been a while since I was in Riombara, but I found it to be a very fun realm to play in. It some how managed to have a good level of inter realm conflict and intrigue, without falling apart into petty squabbles.

It has been even longer since I played in Enweil, but I was distinctly unimpressed. It has that stale feel of a realm past its prime that just didn't want to change, though from what I hear it did make some big movements towards correcting this in the years since I was there.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: October 03, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »
So Riombara doesn't loot because it is "looting shy", but when it applies to you, it's a big bad bug? How convenient.

If it prevents someone from doing something they wouldn't have done much of anyways and also someone who can do nothing else but it, the levels of nuisance it creates are not equal. In addition, our refit cycles are longer, so if it is timed with when we march out, and only gets fixed when we leave, as it did both times, then that means a significant period in which we can't do any damage.

Indeed, we've taken pauses between each campaign to TO a region, but we so far have never gotten to loot anyone, despite the numerous chances we would have had and despite how significant the damage could have been. Hell, if it weren't for the bugs, odds are Reeds would be a pile of rubbles by now, which would have helped Fronen a lot, and that Rio's food production would have gotten a serious dent.

So yea, since we would have used it more, since  it would have caused more damage than your own looting, and since their timing were perfectly synchronized to screw us over because of our long refit cycles, it did not affect us on the same level. Rio still got to do some looting this last month or two. It still got to do takeovers. Fheuv'n can't do TOs on enemy lands, and we never got a chance to loot anyone either.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: October 05, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »
who are you to say what rio would or would not have been doing if the bug wasn't there? and how would you know how much looting rio would have done in enweil lands? if anything, i think rio had a lot more opportunities to loot (but can't) than that little trip of yours.

you went to melegra. big deal, it produced no food to start with. you went to ajitmon and cjelegy, wow, if you actually spent time looting, you would have been caught up even earlier.

whereas rio had an undefeated army sitting around near the enweil capital doing.. eh.. nothing quite a bit longer than that trip of yours. not to mention the trips through vilrill by others. looting would have been guaranteed if it worked.

in any case, looting was/is so bugged that i didn't even know i succeeded in looting food.
firefox

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: October 06, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »
who are you to say what rio would or would not have been doing if the bug wasn't there? and how would you know how much looting rio would have done in enweil lands? if anything, i think rio had a lot more opportunities to loot (but can't) than that little trip of yours.

you went to melegra. big deal, it produced no food to start with. you went to ajitmon and cjelegy, wow, if you actually spent time looting, you would have been caught up even earlier.

Don't contradict yourself. you can't accuse Chenier of knowing how much looting would have happened in Enweil and then tell us you know hat would have happened in Riombara. We waited 2 turns in Melegra, 2 turns in Ajitmon, and 2 turns in Cjelegy. Then we had battle. If looting had been on we could have gotten a lot further in, but instead we decided to scout and fight an early battle.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: October 06, 2011, 04:49:09 AM »
Don't contradict yourself. you can't accuse Chenier of knowing how much looting would have happened in Enweil and then tell us you know hat would have happened in Riombara. We waited 2 turns in Melegra, 2 turns in Ajitmon, and 2 turns in Cjelegy. Then we had battle. If looting had been on we could have gotten a lot further in, but instead we decided to scout and fight an early battle.
This is so off topic it's crazy, I don't even know what anyone's talking about.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: October 06, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »

He didn't contradict himself actually, his "scenario" about Enwiels actions just highlighted how easy it is to make assumptions about how effective an enemy may have been at something in theory, when you have incomplete information about their intent and exactly how the lack of an option informed their decisions.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: October 06, 2011, 05:10:27 AM »
He didn't contradict himself actually, his "scenario" about Enwiels actions just highlighted how easy it is to make assumptions about how effective an enemy may have been at something in theory, when you have incomplete information about their intent and exactly how the lack of an option informed their decisions.

My point was mostly that the regions Riombara could have looted represented a small fraction of Enweil's economy, while the regions we could have looting represented a much larger fraction of Riombara's economy.

In absolute damage, perhaps Rio could have done more. In relative terms, I highly doubt it. Enweil could lost Lopa, Villriil, Gorin, and Yncaalo, and still be in shape to fight with Riombara.