Author Topic: +1 character  (Read 17013 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: +1 character
« Reply #30: September 26, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
I hate it when I see players that constantly post stuff from the wrong character.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 26, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »
That's a bit too artificial. The restriction on selling to your own family is to prevent using your advy as your item-fixing-finding mule, and to prevent the advy from getting one free recommendation. By requiring the item to be transferred through another player's character you open up the possibility for betrayal, accidents, intrigue, etc. Beyond that, it's really not much of an issue.

Why is that even such a big problem? Most items grant nothing special. And most items are not lost because an adventurer betrayed their lord, but because they got captured or wounded while carrying the item. Furthermore, having two nobles instead of 1 noble and 1 advy means you have more gold to purchase unique items, without actually having to work to get them yourself.

Not to mention that most people have at least 1 other player they can trust 100% with these things. It's just forcing useless swaps and wasting peoples time, imo. These restrictions are the easiest to bypass, but it's just lame to have to.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 27, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »
advy A finds stuff and makes a deal with advy B to sell to noble A? how many items do you want?

They are only items, if you want to deal with the annoyance of repairing multiple uniques, good luck too you,
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Huntsmaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 04, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
That's a bit too artificial. The restriction on selling to your own family is to prevent using your advy as your item-fixing-finding mule

AKA Duke Celestial.
Agiri (Carelia) Tinwe (Greater Aenilia) Ayrl (Fissoa) Wyllham (IVF)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 12, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »
It seems like the biggest problem with BM ATM is a simple lack of players, and that characters are spread too thinly. While I understand that the new estate system will go a long way towards fixing this issue, it seems to me like most people think that a lack of players will still be a major issue for the game.
Couldn't we just give everyone one more character, in order to fix it? The vast majority of players already use the maximum amount of characters available to them, and I assume the most of them would also jump on the chance to have another character. While this wouldn't address the direct issue (the constant loss of players), it would go a long way towards mitigating the effects of the decline in population. As Tom has hinted at, he's considering getting rid of Dwilight, but simply adding an extra noble per player would essentially do the same thing, without the whole destroying an entire island's history thing.
Thoughts?

Regarding your quotes from Tom, I have tried looking for the thread they came from without success. Can you point me in the right direction?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 13, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »
That is why my noble is leaving Kindara as soon as it can. Way too many two-character players. Not that I have anything against them, I just don't want to play in such conditions. It forces the "play two characters or play at a disadvantage" line of thought.

Eh. Most of those came from C'thonia. That realm was pretty much nothing but two-character players. As for "play two characters or play at a disadvantage" in Kindara, that's simply not true. My character managed to become region lord, then general, then duke without any help from a second character. Actually contributing is what will help you get ahead, not having two characters.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 13, 2011, 01:29:35 AM »
Regarding your quotes from Tom, I have tried looking for the thread they came from without success. Can you point me in the right direction?

I can't find the thread, but I can confirm that Tom was making noises about Dwilight being a mistake in a way that could easily be interpreted as mulling closing the island (though I and many others immediately started talking to him about how bad an idea that would be, and I believe he's put it aside).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: October 25, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
The problem is obvious  RPing has declined considerably in the game and even those that join for awhile do not participate in it. The old days of RPing have long since declined. I remember when I was in Draka around the time KK got married, RP was every where and majority of people in the realm attempted to rp and learned how to from doing so (drinking ale and being a mercenary). Now you may see a rp here and there but nothing significant and no one willing to OCC: to try and join in. Dwlight is a exception... Im told it's rp friendly ill have to take a look at that when I have a slot open.

Adding character will do nothing to help. What needs to be done in my opinion is a new look to BM. Change some things around on the website and give it some new looks. The game has many features that can attract people they just need to get a glimpse of what is about to fully indulge in the game.

When I am rping I would be glad to have someone OCC me and ask if they could join in and participate. ^_^
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 25, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Both Dwilight and FEI are good if you want to RP.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 26, 2011, 04:53:06 AM »
Both Dwilight and FEI are good if you want to RP.

I've personally witnessed a decline for it on Dwi, from the spheres I'm in contact with.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: October 26, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
+1 character is either non or counter productive, it feeds the players that won't leave regardless, when its new players that are required

sinking an island is much better, i would pick dwilight cause fighting NPCs is boring and the map is too big and SMA bores me

egamma

« Reply #42: October 26, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
+1 character is either non or counter productive, it feeds the players that won't leave regardless, when its new players that are required

sinking an island is much better, i would pick dwilight cause fighting NPCs is boring and the map is too big and SMA bores me

Have you seen the retention thread? Dwilight is the most popular island, and the best at retaining players.

BT/COL/DWI each have something special, so they should be kept. Many of the players of the Colonies wouldn't play elsewhere, they're too busy.

My suggestion? Have an invasion of AT, FEI, and EC. First one to be destroyed, gets sunk.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: October 26, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
I personally like AT, but I must admit it is the continent that brings the less uniqueness into the game. Second ranked, bottom-up, would be EC, in my opinion.

I doubt there is much you can say about them, they are as vanilla as they come.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: November 29, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »
Have you seen the retention thread? Dwilight is the most popular island, and the best at retaining players.

BT/COL/DWI each have something special, so they should be kept. Many of the players of the Colonies wouldn't play elsewhere, they're too busy.

My suggestion? Have an invasion of AT, FEI, and EC. First one to be destroyed, gets sunk.

BT is already half lost, though, and the lands not lost don't really offer much opportunities for change. Plus another invasion is peeking its head.