Author Topic: Religious power rankings  (Read 44929 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Religious power rankings
« Reply #60: June 11, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
Isn't this thread about Religious power rankings of FEI?

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: June 11, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
Yes it is. So, here's my ranking:

Church of Sartan
MAE
Order of the Elders
Church of Echad
Craiithil
Way of the Dragons

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: June 12, 2012, 03:40:47 AM »
Cra'ithil died a while ago, I suspect after Melehan executed one of their priests. Now there is something called the trinity.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: June 12, 2012, 03:46:14 AM »
Cra'ithil died a while ago.
And they're still stronger than the Way of the Dragon.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: June 12, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
The Trinity was around on FEI once before actually. It was an offshoot of the Trinity in the colonies.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: June 12, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
Velax asked Me'hoe on the ruler's channel if he knew anything about the Way of the Dragon and if it was a recreation of Adgharinism. Me'hoe said he knew nothing about the Dragon and that he'd never heard of Adgharinism before. Velax decided not to talk to Me'hoe anymore.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: June 12, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
Me'hoe said he knew nothing about the Dragon and that he'd never heard of Adgharinism before.
This guy can't even lie convincingly.  ::)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: June 12, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
Velax asked Me'hoe on the ruler's channel if he knew anything about the Way of the Dragon and if it was a recreation of Adgharinism. Me'hoe said he knew nothing about the Dragon and that he'd never heard of Adgharinism before. Velax decided not to talk to Me'hoe anymore.
Oh, it gets better: Mehoe then asked Morgan and Arella if we had heard about this prophet, which slightly implied that he wasn't sure he had.

Morgan is now wondering if Me'hoe is just really dumb, or . . . well, he's not sure what other explanations there could be.  Maybe compulsive lying or insanity.

Pity it's winter and it takes so long to get to Ohnar West from Zonasa now.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: June 12, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Morgan is now wondering if Me'hoe is just really dumb, or . . . well, he's not sure what other explanations there could be.  Maybe compulsive lying or insanity.

Maybe...

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: June 12, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »
Pragmatism (or cynicism) and secularism are not the same thing, and what you're talking about sounds more like secularism. It sounds like players are carrying their personal beliefs and inclinations over into their characters. I agree that secularism as a principle has no place in a medieval simulation.

I've heard these complaints before, in fact I think there are some threads in the General Discussion forum along these lines. Nothing will change though without people going out of their way to create the social pressures that existed during medieval times IC. If someone talks smack about religion, religious characters in the realm should shun or even openly persecute him. If an entire realm embraces atheism as a guiding principle, one or more religions should stir up a crusade to crush the apostate kingdom before their blasphemous principles can spread and seduce others of the faithful away from the Truth.

Pragmatism (being practical moreover than cynical in my opinion) is done through a means of secularism. From what I've seen, its a way to run your realm with less conflict and to keep the game at a very basic level. This is done either to create a more effective and united land or to limit the amount of work needed to organize/maintain/regulate/punish religion, religious authority, or religious people. I'm not a religious person outside of this game, so either its not done for the reason you gave, or its an indication of how bad people are at assuming a role and playing a character. Either way, such behavior ruins the game.

Its difficult for a religion to stir up a Crusade when every other realm is also atheist, i.e FEI. Arella and Edmund have already expressed concern - not for their religions, but more or less for the integrity of their friendly nations (Ohnar West) - which is lame considering that reflects on their own zealotry. Its also difficult to openly shun someone in your realm when barely anyone cares about religion in the first place. BUT, I rectified the whole religion thing in my realm because I had the power to do so, making it possible for others to do the same.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: June 12, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »

Its difficult for a religion to stir up a Crusade when every other realm is also atheist, i.e FEI.
NeoSartania never needed other realms to be religious in order to start crusades against them . . . why do you think Morgan is somewhat wary of Sorriane being a theocracy of Sartania?

There are very good reasons Zonasa has a strong tradition of keeping religion as non-public as possible.  There are a number of different religions in Zonasa, and we don't want them to fight, so any and all religion is tolerated, and religions that say other religions are bad in public are looked upon with great suspicion.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: June 12, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
NeoSartania never needed other realms to be religious in order to start crusades against them . . . why do you think Morgan is somewhat wary of Sorriane being a theocracy of Sartania?

There are very good reasons Zonasa has a strong tradition of keeping religion as non-public as possible.  There are a number of different religions in Zonasa, and we don't want them to fight, so any and all religion is tolerated, and religions that say other religions are bad in public are looked upon with great suspicion.

NeoSartania doesn't exist anymore, now does it? If everyone is secular, their counter-crusade can be much more deadly. That's why its difficult.

And that's terribly sad and unfortunate. You have done what I described in my last post, making me weep for the nobles in Zonasa and their limited gameplay opportunities by demoting religion. Once OW is out of the picture, I'll make PoZ next on the chopping block. Already outnumber them in noble count  8).
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: June 12, 2012, 11:42:16 PM »
Once OW is out of the picture, I'll make PoZ next on the chopping block. Already outnumber them in noble count  8).
* Indirik supports this.

We need more action, not more wibbling and waffling.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: June 13, 2012, 01:21:02 AM »

This mindset starts with the presumption that conflict is bad, when in fact conflict is what makes the game interesting. The adherents of different religions in your realm ought to be competing for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do that. I wish more people used religion as a way to set goals for their characters and tried to promote the growth and prosperity of their religion the same way they try to promote the growth and prosperity of their realm.

When I finally get my fracking priest to FEI (now I can't emigrate him because I have to be in Eponllyn for two weeks before I can emigrate... If it's not one thing it's another damnit), I hope to try to encourage this sort of mindset, not just in Sorraine but elsewhere...

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: June 13, 2012, 04:12:48 AM »
Once OW is out of the picture, I'll make PoZ next on the chopping block. Already outnumber them in noble count  8).

Why doncha take em both at the same time! Surely a god favored realm like Sorraine doesn't need to worry about feeble stats like noble count, when deciding to take on realms!
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell