Author Topic: Adventurer Recommendation  (Read 4785 times)

STiAle

• Freeman
  • Safe, Sane, Consensual
    • View Profile
Adventurer Recommendation
« Topic Start: October 06, 2011, 01:16:08 PM »
Is there anyway to give recommendation  to adventurer without waiting for said adventurer to give me an item?
Example: Lord asked an adventurer to scout enemy regions/check rumors to make sure no infiltrators are around, is there any way for the lord to provide recommendation for services-rendered/proven-patriot/etc.?
No other word is better than the last word!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Recommendation
« Reply #1: October 06, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
I don't think so. You could just give him an item and swap it back, I suppose?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 06, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
I don't think so. You could just give him an item and swap it back, I suppose?
Which would be a circumvention and abuse of game mechanics.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 06, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »
Which would be a circumvention and abuse of game mechanics.

If you just swap it, yes. But it makes a lot of sense that you would ask random tasks, such as scoutings, to an advy before you entrusts him with an item to repair. Once you do that, and he repairs it, then you can recommend him.

Or even you can give it to him for safeguarding if you expect a particularly dangerous battle.

A recommendation is supposed to be a mark of general trust. The need to exchange an object makes the opportunities to give a recommendation rare and avoid the most obvious abuses, such as a realm promoting advies left and right to get more nobles, but deep down I think it's a good thing that they are given for more than agreeing to sell a valuable object.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 06, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
If you just swap it, yes. But it makes a lot of sense that you would ask random tasks, such as scoutings, to an advy before you entrusts him with an item to repair. Once you do that, and he repairs it, then you can recommend him.
If you are giving an advy an item to repair, and he does it, that is all the basis you need to give him a recommendation. No reason to invent random tasks.

A recommendation is supposed to be a mark of general trust. The need to exchange an object makes the opportunities to give a recommendation rare and avoid the most obvious abuses, such as a realm promoting advies left and right to get more nobles

Which has been done...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 06, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
If you are giving an advy an item to repair, and he does it, that is all the basis you need to give him a recommendation. No reason to invent random tasks.

I don't think the OP has invented "random" tasks. I think he had RP interaction with an advy that made him trust him, and he wants to give him a recommendation. It's all good. Abuse of game mechanics only occur when people do it for powergaming reasons. Here all I see is people who play the game taking SMA and the rules seriously.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

STiAle

• Freeman
  • Safe, Sane, Consensual
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 07, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
This was supposed to be a simple question not a feature request. That being said, my thoughts: Infiltrators will most likely only be banned or banished, and if they're dense enough for a third try, good riddance! Adventurers can be hanged on a whim, its a lot more risky for an adventurer to scout enemy territory. They deserve some recognition for taking that risk, that wouldn't be random. I do have some other thoughts more appropriate for the Feature Request section, I'll bring it up there once I've considered it some more.
No other word is better than the last word!

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 07, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Adventurers get the same protection as soon as they reach Freeman status. Of course, people will probably care less if things happen to them.