Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1035191 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #2940: June 17, 2013, 03:05:03 AM »
I think I know where Vellos is going on this, but he is a very surprising man, and hard to read.

Hireshmont is going in a very simple direction, and it's always the same one: exactly the direction he tells you he's going. He's been very clear that he wants a peaceful resolution, Niselur back in the church, and no war. He'll do what he needs to to accomplish those goals.

The reason Hireshmont is hard to read for you is because you're reading way to much into him.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941: June 17, 2013, 03:16:02 AM »
Maybe the massive infiltrator waves...

I don't think there are enough active infils on Dwilight to make what could be called a light ripple, let alone a massive wave...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942: June 17, 2013, 03:38:16 AM »
Why would I waste political capital on infill attacks in Luria?  There ate better targets in thenorth.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943: June 17, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »
Why would I waste political capital on infill attacks in Luria?  There ate better targets in thenorth.

Why would you waste political capital trying to wiggle out of the peace treaty with Phantaria that ended a war that already a huge point of conflict/contention within your Church? When the treaty was agreed to, in public, not even two weeks prior to your objections over it?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944: June 17, 2013, 04:41:52 AM »
Why would you waste political capital trying to wiggle out of the peace treaty with Phantaria that ended a war that already a huge point of conflict/contention within your Church? When the treaty was agreed to, in public, not even two weeks prior to your objections over it?

That's not a waste: that's a use! ;)
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945: June 17, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
There are two (well, probably like ten) games being played right now in SA. Those in the secular gallery trying to wield the levers of power to gain an upper hand, and those in the spiritual gallery sawing off the levers forever. A lot of people like SA as a purely religious force. They joined because religion in BM can offer something apart from the usual political chicanery. It can help one really develop a character. I'm willing to bet, given the stagnation caused by the secular gallery's regular (ab)use of the levers, that those same people will hand the "victory" to the spiritual gallery.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946: June 17, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »
;DI know;D
Believe me, there are perfectly believable reasons, and your two posts to SA just increased the believability :)

What posts? You realize Vellos and I play different characters and that they don't like each other?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947: June 18, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
What posts? You realize Vellos and I play different characters and that they don't like each other?

i.e. may actively be involved in chicaneries to undermine one another....

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948: June 18, 2013, 12:42:54 AM »

I have no idea how anyone could conclude that Jonsu and Hireshmont II have any affinity for each other...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949: June 18, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »
There are two (well, probably like ten) games being played right now in SA. Those in the secular gallery trying to wield the levers of power to gain an upper hand, and those in the spiritual gallery sawing off the levers forever. A lot of people like SA as a purely religious force. They joined because religion in BM can offer something apart from the usual political chicanery. It can help one really develop a character. I'm willing to bet, given the stagnation caused by the secular gallery's regular (ab)use of the levers, that those same people will hand the "victory" to the spiritual gallery.

This is true-ish.

But I think you underestimate the spiritual revisionism of many of the less conservative elements.

And, IMHO, SA is only really able to have spiritual flavor and vibrancy because of its temporal power. Hard to enforce orthodoxy without swords.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950: June 18, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »

The fact that SA has political power is in my opinion one of the things that make it different from other standard BM religions. Very, very few players are willing to sit through and write scores of theological disputes if there is no way for either party to "win" by enforcing itself upon the other; this is why most BM religions are dead boring and become little more than background flavor in a secular world. And yes non-political religions can of course make for good character development, but these characters will then typically act out most of their story within their realm (because there are only many long rp letters one can post before one needs to actually do something significant) leaving the religion a silent shell.

Also I'm not sure I agree with your characterisation of "spiritual" and "secularist" factions in SA. While I agree that  many secularists on both sides of the recent conflicts are trying to pull the levers of SA to gain political power, I don't think any of those arguing that the Church should have no political power are anything more than secularists themselves- they don't want a more "spiritual" SA, they want one that keeps quiet and damned well out of their business. Most of the characters that have actually contributed to the "spiritual" side of SA in the past seem more in support of a political Church than against it, likely as Vellos said so that they can actually enforce orthodoxy rather than their see their various beliefs become essentially meaningless.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:55:02 AM by Meneldur »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951: June 18, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
I have no idea how anyone could conclude that Jonsu and Hireshmont II have any affinity for each other...
*Coughs* Wrong player. dustole is Kabrinski, while Stabbity is Himoura. Both families with very notable players (dustole likely has the more powerful single character while Stabbity is the more influential family between the two).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:34:56 PM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952: June 18, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
*Coughs* Wrong player. dustole is Kabrinski, while Stabbity is Himoura. Both players with very notable players (dustole likely has the more powerful single character while Stabbity is the more influential family between the two).

Oh right.

Jonsu and Alaster are just opposing faces of the same coin, though. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953: June 19, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »
War,

To be, or not to be?

I'm getting the feeling that the Farronites are like that scene in Reign of Fire when the Americans show up at the castle door with tanks and what's his name says to Christian Bale "we can do this easy, or real easy".
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954: June 20, 2013, 05:16:25 AM »
War,

To be, or not to be?

I'm getting the feeling that the Farronites are like that scene in Reign of Fire when the Americans show up at the castle door with tanks and what's his name says to Christian Bale "we can do this easy, or real easy".

lol, yeah, no war. Not gonna happen.