Author Topic: Character Alignments  (Read 15141 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Character Alignments
« Topic Start: March 09, 2011, 05:19:18 AM »
Now, clearly, characters are more complicated than standard D&D alignment systems, but I'd be interested in seeing how people view their own characters' alignments.  So, for me...

Rhennthyl is a little uncertain in my head at this point, can't really say.

Lucator is very new, but I'm guessing chaotic evil.

Malcolm is my most complicated character, he was (and is) highly selfish, but very much interested in the long-term game so played at being highly honorable with some success.  Nowadays...His selfishness is somewhat tempered by a couple of events that shook him out of it.  Not sure how unselfish he might become.

Koli is Lawful neutral with a few evil tendencies.  Very much a controlling man.

Jenred...Is neutral crazy.  He thinks he's good (hell, he thinks he's a Paladin fulfilling the will of his goddess and leading the Far East into a new golden age) but he is psychotically obsessed with his wife to the point where if she were killed I think he'd quite happily burn down the entire continent to make a pyre worthy of her.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
Re: Character Alignments
« Reply #1: March 09, 2011, 05:28:01 AM »
Aelfwine is Lawful Good. I cannot see him betraying either his own set of morals or anyone he owes loyalty to.

Caim seems to be tending towards either Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil... largely because he doesn't see anything wrong in manipulating things to his own advantage, even if he's convinced its just a case of being particularly virulent in his persuit of Chaotic Good....

Celyn is... Lawful Neutral.

Rickhart is neutral Good.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 09, 2011, 05:35:44 AM »
Santiago is definitely Chaotic Neutral - he has little regard for the hierarchy, is mostly working towards his own ends and tends to be a bit unorthodox in achieving them

Juan is Chaotic Good - He strives to see whatever realm he is in prosper and grow, but also tries to ensure that the freedom granted to all levels of the realm are protected.

Carlos is a bit difficult. He cares little for the games and wars of the realms, save that everyones behaviour is honourable. Course he only really considers his definition of honourable, but that is hardly a rare thing. Probably Lawful Neutral
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 09, 2011, 05:50:09 AM »
Maru is a spiteful bastard. Makes very apt analyses of other characters but if\s a weak person himself with no real integrity.

Keannji. Light shines out of his arse, if he found a wounded frog he'd probably nurse it back to health. Some people claim he is gay. He often misses the bigger picture.

Shin is a realistic guy, quite smart. He is still trying to find what he wants in life. He has strong feelings of companionship but is not extremely concerned with the overall good of anybody.

Onari follows the old Shenron tradition. He likes to duel people. Likes to smote the 'dishonourable'. Not a very strong thinker.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 09, 2011, 06:11:32 AM »
I'd say Alpha fits well into lawful neutral.

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 09, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »
I am not terribly familiar with the D&D system, but I do like categorizing my people and find that giving them different alignments allows me to differentiate them a bit better when RPing.

Moria is a definite lawful good, but cares for people above laws when the two conflict. She is my only female character and is therefore rather caring and compassionate.

I actually searched for a long time to find the name Merodak, and then I think I changed it around a bit. But it is derived from a truly vile god from the Middle East and I try and live up to that with him. He is Neutral Evil and really just wants to kill everyone and everything.

Ulrich is essentially chaotic neutral. He has no respect for the law and just does what he wants, but there really isn't any evil in him just youthful exuberance and rebellion.

Lastly, Moritz is probably the hardest to classify as he is quite close to true neutral (making him a damn good politician ;) ). He is a schemer, and quite power hungry. The good he displays is for the sake of his desires, but they aren't evil as much as selfish. As time progresses he is also getting a bit quirky.
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 09, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
I'm not very experienced with the D&D alignment system, so I'm basing this on the wikipedia entry for it.

Noah - Neutral Evil. He really cares only about himself, and concepts like loyalty and honor are only useful as long as they benefit him. He changed his allegiance to a lord offering 700 gold for a new knight, then took off with the gold as soon as he could. He'll try to kill anyone who offends him in any way, whether they are allies, enemies or neutral doesn't matter.

Roderic - Lawful Neutral. He has a strong sense of duty, loyalty and honor. He will follow his superior's orders without fail, putting his personal feelings aside in all but the most extreme cases.

Amaury - Used to be Lawful Neutral until he started going against his superiors. Now I'm not so sure. I guess Neutral/Chaotic Good comes closest to describing him.

Bruyant - Undecided... He's a fairly new character, and I'm still thinking about what I want to do with him.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: March 09, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
My family wiki page lists just about everyone's alignments as well as how they have changed due to different experiences, if at all.
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Artemesia_Family

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 09, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
For my dead/retired characters:
Jean-Olivier: Lawful evil
Lyse: Neutral
Louis-Joseph: Neutral evil
Nicolas: Lawful evil

All of my "evil" characters were the epitome of good and piety in their own minds, though. They just tend to view that the ends justify the means.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 09, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »
Altair: Lawful Good (all praise The Four!)
Thomas: Neutral Good
Remi: Lawful Evil
Malus: Lawful Neutral

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 09, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
The D&D alignment system is a good tool but characters can and do change over time, in fact that movement from one alignment to another can be a good way to make a character interesting and how susceptible to such movement a character is can be an important trait to consider when creating them.

For example, Janna is quite susceptible to alignment change and has been chaotic neutral, chaotic good, lawful neutral and lawful good depending on how events in her life have affected her but Severn is quite rigid and has consistently been lawful good.

It takes a lot more than alignment to create a rounded character, though.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 09, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »
The D&D alignment system is a good tool but characters can and do change over time, in fact that movement from one alignment to another can be a good way to make a character interesting and how susceptible to such movement a character is can be an important trait to consider when creating them.

For example, Janna is quite susceptible to alignment change and has been chaotic neutral, chaotic good, lawful neutral and lawful good depending on how events in her life have affected her but Severn is quite rigid and has consistently been lawful good.

It takes a lot more than alignment to create a rounded character, though.

Hence why I personally only posted dead or retired characters. Jean-Olivier started as Lawful Good, Louis-Joseph as Neutral, Lyse as Chaotic Neutral, Nicolas as Lawful Neutral.

I suppose all the others are just saying how their characters are currently, though, and not necessarily how they have always been and always will be.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: March 09, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
I've thought those alignments were more a reflection of how others would observe the character as a summary of the trends his actions followed. They are not, in my mind, some metaphysical guide that leads them to do certain actions.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 09, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
At present:
Hireshmont II: Lawful good or lawful neutral- H2 is definitely lawful. He's kind of hyper-lawful in fact. However, a few recent developments challenged that, but he is still generally lawful. I think lawful good fits him pretty well (though some, like Vesna Valentine, would label him lawful evil, I suspect)

Komnogar Vellos: Not yet very developed here, but I'm thinking he will be chaotic good. Honestly he's just racking up honor and prestige right now fighting the Cagilans.

Cyrilos Vellos: Crazy. Religious fanatic, thinks he's a prophet... I'm going to go with chaotic neutral.

Onamont: Lawful good. Terrified of nobles, submissive and obedient, loves killing monsters.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: March 09, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
At present:
Hireshmont II: Lawful good or lawful neutral- H2 is definitely lawful. He's kind of hyper-lawful in fact. However, a few recent developments challenged that, but he is still generally lawful. I think lawful good fits him pretty well (though some, like Vesna Valentine, would label him lawful evil, I suspect)

Isn't Vesna Valentine chaotic evil anyway? Maybe neutral evil or something. He tried to use daimons to get revenge or something on Madina.  :o A bit strange...but eh, what can you do about that.